Update-DPP44 and Power Inserter

fchall

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 8, 2006
Pac.NW-Near Mount Olympus
Update to this thread.http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=57881
Where the DPP44 Power Inserter was connected between the upstairs 301 and Port 1.

I just redid the connections on my DPP44. I now have
Port 1 --> Separator --> DVR625 downstairs in the living room
Port 2 --> 301 downstairs in the bedroom
Port 3 --> 301 upstairs in the playroom( for the grands when they visit )
Port 4 --> For future expansion if needed or second satelite if/when we get HD

Power Inserter is completely out of the set-up and everything is working fine.:)

while it may work without it, you run a serious risk of burning up the power supply in your receivers. The power inserter should be connected to port 1, so in your case, before the seperator for your 625.

Paradox-SJ said:
You need the seperator on one of those 301's or you will/can burn out your 625 and or 301
Now I'm getting worried.
Can you give a little more detail about this or point me somewhere to research it.
Thanks

boba said:
Read RandallA's post he is right.:) :) :)

I have the separator connected to the 625 not the 301.
The Separator to the 625 feeds off of port 1 on the DPP44.
There is currently no Power Inserter anywhere in the set up and everything is working.
So; Do I need to worry about burning out any power supplies?

"you run a serious risk of burning up the power supply in your receivers"

I must ask why. I thought that the power inserter was to give power stability to the switch and the LNBs and since this switch has 4 satellite inputs it needs more power. It's working now because the DP receivers are powering the switch and the LNBs and in his setup the power from the receivers might be all the switch needs. But burning up the power supply in the receivers? Again how, why? Just want to understand why you said that.

RandallA said:
"you run a serious risk of burning up the power supply in your receivers"

I must ask why. I thought that the power inserter was to give power stability to the switch and the LNBs and since this switch has 4 satellite inputs it needs more power. It's working now because the DP receivers are powering the switch and the LNBs and in his setup the power from the receivers might be all the switch needs. But burning up the power supply in the receivers? Again how, why? Just want to understand why you said that.
Add me to the list. I have some background in electronics and don't see where this is going to burn out the power supply. Unless of course Dish left out any overload protection.:confused:

If you have an electrical outlet close to the DPP44 you can move the 625 to port 4 and just run the power inserter on port one without a receiver.

The Dish Pro Plus 44 switch is designed to work with the Power inserter. The power insterter must be on port 1. You don't use a seperator unless it's a dual tuner. 301 won't read a seperator.

The reason you may burn up the power supply is because the switch is pulling voltage from the receiver in order to power itself up instead of drawing that voltage from the power inserter. Then it must still power up each LNB at the Dish. I'm not positive, but I believe the DPP 44 actually draws 22 volts of power to run. Most receivers put out 18 volts. You really should connect the equipment the way it was designed to eliminate any potential problems.

"I'm not positive, but I believe the DPP 44 actually draws 22 volts of power to run. Most receivers put out 18 volts."

That's a good explanation and exactly what I was looking for. I checked all my DP receiver's voltage at the switch and their output ranges from 19.05 V to 19.92 V. I know DP receivers put out 20V.

Are you sure about the DPP44 switch needing 22V? DP equipment is supossed to work with 12V minimun so the DPP44 might not be pulling 22V from the receivers after all.

I know that you should use the power inserter the way it was designed but I'm just trying to understand how this stuff works.

You will burn put a power supply

The power supply will burn out on your 625. It is working overtime to power your switch and LNB's. I have seen it quite a few times on owner installs. The power inserter must be installed on port 1 between the seberator and the switch. Or if you want to keep down the number of breaks in the line just swap the 301 and 625 on the switch, it will work fine that way. The DPP44 SW just draws way to much power. I am really suprised that it working at all.

don't do this

kevnt63 said:
If you have an electrical outlet close to the DPP44 you can move the 625 to port 4 and just run the power inserter on port one without a receiver.

The power inserter should never be dead ended. This isn't legacy anymore folks.

Ok Already You've convinced me.
I'll go from this;
Port 1 --> Separator --> DVR625 downstairs in the living room
Port 2 --> 301 downstairs in the bedroom
Port 3 --> 301 upstairs in the playroom( for the grands when they visit )

Power Inserter is completely out of the set-up and everything is working fine.

To This;
Port 1 --> Power Inserter --> 301 upstairs in the playroom.
Port 2 --> Separator --> DVR625 downstairs in the living room
Port 3 --> 301 downstairs in the bedroom

Power Inserter back in the set-up and everything is working fine.

mjjgensco said:
The power inserter should never be dead ended. This isn't legacy anymore folks.

I too would like to know what problem this would cause since I have had mine setup like this in the past and had absolutely no issues.