update on vip722k

I like the dual OTA tuner option. But how would I get HD to my second tv from the 722K after I upgrade my second tv to a HD LCD?

Lease a second receiver for anything other than OTA. Or you can run HDMI to TV1 and use the component TV1 out to your second TV. Have to watch the same thing on TV1 and TV2 unless you also run coax and watch it in SD on TV2.

That's what I'm hoping to avoid. I like how it works with SD on TV 2. I can record to DVR from either TV and watch different programs Live or DVR on TV 1 and TV 2.

Why can't they just make TV 2 have its own component or RG-6 outputs????

I really like watching from DVR on either TV1 or TV2, but in the near future I will have HD for both TVs.

It doesn't look like the perfect solution exists.

If you don't plan to watch both HDTVs at the same time and/or one can be in HD with the other is SD, then just get a HDMI splitter from monoprice.com. I got the 4802 unit which can switch any of the up to 4 inputs to any of the 2 outputs (independantly). Of course you'll need to run a HDMI to the new HDTV, but you can get a quality 40ft HDMI cable from them for about $30.

I have two daughters ages 10 and 12. Already on the weekends they want to watch TV with their friends on sleepovers until the early morning hours. So me and the wife are forced to retreat to the bedroom TV. That's why I'm going to need two HDTVs. And I'm not really wanting to watch what they are watching on the DVR.

If they're just 10 and 12, then make then watch the TV2 SD feed (on a SD or HD television -- doesn't matter) while you watch the TV1 HD feed on your HDTV. I guess I don't see the need for another rec'r. In Dual Mode, they should be able to watch whatever they want (albeit in SD-quality) while you watch whatever you want in HD-quality. With what I suggest, you also need an IR repeater for the TV1 remote (or get a new DISH remote that can control TV1 via UHF).

Last edited:
TV 1 is in the Living Room and TV 2 is in the Bedroom. So having them and their friends watching TV 2 will not work.

Maybe I could have a hdmi switcher switch the HD output between TV 1 and TV 2. But that sounds like it would confuse my wife and that would be the death of me.

I think you got it right... but I don't understand why it doesn't have 'enhanced' in the name, like the 722 does...

Oh, that just would have made the name even longer. Of course, count on the Dish marketing people changing all the names of the STB's, again, in about 1 year:).

Any word on when the 722K will be available?

I think they must have some problems they are having difficulty solving. They talked about it last November on a chat and gave the impression it was coming right away like the 211k. That didn't happen. That's also why most of us don't expect the 922 to see the light of day anytime soon. If they can't get the 722k out the door, what chance does the 922, which has the same features as the 722k along with Sling, have. Maybe they'll just scrap the 722k and instead wait for the 922 for double OTA tuners. This doesn't bode well but is unfortunately par for the course for E*. Good ideas, implemented late, is E*'s motto. :)

Yes, I believe Scott himself published that the module would be about $29. The 722K is shipped WITHOUT any OTA functionality. In fact, there is no place to connect your antenna. If you want OTA functionality, then the OTA module must be purchased. Please see Scott's sticky entitled "722K OTA tuner up-close" for a demo.

The 722 has only 1 OTA tuner. The two major advantages of the 722K are that TV2 can view the OTA in Dual Mode, and the separately sold OTA module allows for 2 different OTA channels to be recorded at the same time (even though there is only one input, it serves 2 OTA tuners inside). This means (and has been confirmed by Dish/Scott) one can have as many as 2 satellite channels and 2 OTA channels all recording at the same time, for a grand total of 4 different channels recording all at once.

These features on the 722K are very important to some people as Dish does not have HD LIL in fair number of DMA's. Also some people really do need the 2 OTA's even with HD LIL, and some do have a need for the TV2 to tune to OTA in Dual Mode.

So, if you don't need the particular extras of the 722K, then the 722 will suffice, as it does for many. As for me: I was going to get a 722K because I do need the extra OTA, but I've decided to wait for the Dish 922 DuoDVR Sling Loaded (did I get the long name right?). It'll be about a $200 upgrade, but I think the upgrade makes it less expensive than purchasing a new 722K.

$29 for a 4th tuner, I'd buy it in a second, but then I record a lot of network shows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)