UPDATED (10/01/03) - 721 With A USB Keyboard - Please Add!

aperry

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
Well, it appears that we may never see that great looking 721 keyboard that Dish had some pictures of.

I and, I'm sure, many others have tried hooking up a standard USB keyboard to the 721. I think it would be a good idea to list the keyboard mappings we have all figured out.

I will list the keyboard shortcuts I am aware of, and will update the list as others add to it...

Here we go:

[code:1]Notes:
Num-# in the list refers to the keys on the numeric keypad.

Dish Function Keyboard Mapping
------------- ----------------
Power . . . . . . . . . End
Menu . . . . . . . . . . F2
TV/Video . . . . . . . . ?????
Page Up . . . . . . . . Page Up
Page Down . . . . . . . Page Down
Guide . . . . . . . . . F4
Up (Channel Up) . . . . Arrow Up
Down (Channel Down) . . Arrow Down
Left (Theme) . . . . . . Arrow Left
Right (Browse) . . . . . Arrow Right
Select . . . . . . . . . Enter
Recall . . . . . . . . . Backspace (While watching program)
Info . . . . . . . . . . F1
View . . . . . . . . . . F3
Cancel . . . . . . . . . Esc
PVR . . . . . . . . . . Num-8
Skip Back . . . . . . . Num-7
Skip Forward . . . . . . Num-9
Rewind . . . . . . . . . Num-4
Pause . . . . . . . . . Num-5
Fast Forward . . . . . . Num-6
Stop . . . . . . . . . . Num-1
Record . . . . . . . . . Num-2
Play . . . . . . . . . . Num-3
Dish Home . . . . . . . ?????
Red Button (Name?) . . . ?????
Swap . . . . . . . . . . F12
PIP . . . . . . . . . . F10
Position . . . . . . . . F11
Numbers (1-0) . . . . . Top Row Numbers
* . . . . . . . . . . . Shift-8
# (Search) . . . . . . . Shift-3
Reboot . . . . . . . . . Num-Minus
System Info . . . . . . Num-Period (or DEL)
Remote Batt. Low . . . . F5+F3 (just displays message AFAIK)

While in Guide:
Advance 24 Hours . . . . Num-9
Go Back 24 Hours . . . . Num-7
Move Picture . . . . . . F12 (toggles between normal PIP picture and transparent guide)

While in Search:
Use Letters and Numbers (top row ones) to enter search term
Backspace deletes characters

While in Menus/Dish Screens:
Arrow Keys navigate between buttons
Enter selects the highlighted item
Escape exits (same as the remote Cancel button)[/code:1]

The list above is ordered from top-to-bottom of the Dish remote. If you have a better way to organize it, let me know, and I will update the list.

Enjoy, and please post any updates, especially where I have missing ones, and if you know of any "hidden" key combos.

Thanks for bringing these back.

I found the original thread and dug up these.

DEL = Brings up System Information Screen

F5 + F3 = shows "Remote Batteries Low" message. I do not know whether this is useful.

Backspace = Recall (while viewing a program)

7 in keypad = While in the Guide advances the guide 24 hrs.
9 in keypad = While in the Guide goes back 24 hrs (as long as you have advance 24 hrs).

Haven't found a mapping to get to the timer screen.

F12 when the guide is up seems to toggle between the normal PIP guide and the new "Transparent" guide.

Thanks! Updated original post with this information.

As far as getting timer, why not just press F2 and then 7 (not on numeric keypad). This is the same thing as Menu then 7 on the remote...

aperry said:
Thanks! Updated original post with this information.

As far as getting timer, why not just press F2 and then 7 (not on numeric keypad). This is the same thing as Menu then 7 on the remote...

Yes, it is. But I was hoping to get a direct link to it.

By the way, I do not see this one in your post:

Backspace = Recall (while viewing a program)

This recalls the last channel you viewed while viewing a program.

Maybe Scott, should make this a stick thread since these codes seem to get lost a lot.

Thanks! Updated my list... Also made a few other edits.

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions for improvements.

Does anyone actually use the keyboard regularly. Except for the search feature wonder if it really is useful. Most of my searches are to find an existing show (movie) to see when it's on again. Hitting the # button brings the show name into search automatically.
Just curious

Yeah, I do. I have a wireless keyboard that I got for free from Computer Surplus Outlet. I keep it next to my chair and use it a lot.

The response by the system using the keyboard is MUCH faster than using the remote. I'm not really sure why it is faster, but the difference is very noticeable! If it were that fast using the remote, I probably wouldn't use it as much.

It is really nice using the keyboard and being able to use the "9" on the numeric keyboard and being able to bump-bump-bump-bump past commercials (unlike the remote where it is more like bump-pause-bump-pause-bump-pause-bump).

If the keyboard were not wireless, I don't know that I would use it as much though...

So this is a standard usb keyboard that is hooked up wireless to the USB port on the front or back of the 721?, I thought there was two can't remember. Is the 'wireless' portion pretty reliable?
Whats the cost on the wireless stuff, maybe I'll give it shot.
thanks
Bill

Mine is a Logitech Cordless Keyboard. I checked on Froogle.google.com, and the lowest price I saw was $16.50 at www.compuvest.com. Not sure if the company is any good, or what the shipping cost is, but I believe that is the one I got for free from Computer Surplus Outlet.

My only complaint is that periodically, I have to reestablish the connection between the keyboard and receiver. Otherwise, it is great!

aperry said:
My only complaint is that periodically, I have to reestablish the connection between the keyboard and receiver. Otherwise, it is great!

I have this exact problem as well. I don't know if it's related to the keyboard being wireless or not (I use the Gyration Ultra GT mini keyboard). I wound up plugging the USB cable in the front port on the 721 so I can easily reseat it whenever it "burps". Still, it only happens once in a while, so I choose to live with it.

I never have had to disconnect the receiver. All I have to do is press the "connect" button on the receiver, followed by pressing the "connect" button on the keyboard.

Bill D said:
Does anyone actually use the keyboard regularly. Except for the search feature wonder if it really is useful. Most of my searches are to find an existing show (movie) to see when it's on again. Hitting the # button brings the show name into search automatically.
Just curious

I plug mine in weekly and search a few standard items (kind of like a manual version of themes for Tivo) and set all recordings for the week. The keyboard makes it a breeze, and I'm done in 5 minutes...about 4 shows a day and no repeaters. My only complaint is that it sometimes gets sluggish and eventually stops working, needing to be rebooted. Anyone else notice this? I use a standard keyboard from a Mac G4 dual 500.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)