Updated: Court blocks Permanent Injuction ordering DISH DVRs disabled

guapoharry said:
Note to self: Turn off automatic software updates on DVR. :p
If you do that, they'll send a kill signal and disable your receiver to force you to download the new software then.

Also the 622 is supposed to be a "High End" receiver. But apparently other DVR's have alot better stuff in there, if they can do it the less complicated way than E* does, because they can use the better components to make it a REAL "High End" machine. So it seems the 622 is not as sophisticated after all, if compared to other makers machines. That's sad. :(

If Echostar loses this court battle does anyone know how this would affect Bell ExpressVu customers which essentialy use the same software as Dish Network DVRs?

ralfyguy said:
If you do that, they'll send a kill signal and disable your receiver to force you to download the new software then.
So you're saying it's not that simple as setting the software updates to manual.

OK, that's fine. However, I'm still going to do it. If they disable my receiver, that will be my signal to call 800-333-DISH.

Then my choice will be:

1. Shall I ask them to reenable the receiver?

or

2. Shall I tell them to discontinue service?

:neener

This lawsuit started last year. I'm sure Charles, the greatest poker player of all time, has a flow chart of what to do at any given time in favor of his company and his customers.

We should not worry about our DVR's being turned off.

I'm sure the Vip622 already has "tricks" in future firmwares that will shut up Tivo.

(If I were Dish, I would flood the market with free SD Dish DVR's, the "Divo" right now)

lilexecutioner said:
Isnt Bell ExpressVu in Canada.. I thought us patents only work in the us. Wouldnt that rule out ExpressVu receivers?
Yes it would, US Court decisions are irrelevant in Canada, especially given that this decision is against Echostar and not Bell ExpressVu.

Could we get our boxes shipped and billed from a E* DVR office in Canada then?

Kinda like seeing an american Doc and getting the meds from the great white north......

Just split the into a Service bill from the US and DVR bill from Canada :)

Last edited:
If "time-warping" is the only issue at stake, and the description of this is viewing something else while recordng something else or watching another recording while something else is being recorded, the solution is to only allow you to watch the live recording and not time-warp it. Course, I could be mis-understanding the whole concept, and I bet no one in the courtroom got it either..

foghorn2 said:
Could we get our boxes shipped and billed from a E* DVR office in Canada then?

Kinda like seeing an american Doc and getting the meds from the great white north......

Just split the into a Service bill from the US and DVR bill from Canada :)

As I understand it, even though they are essentially the same receivers from a hardware standpoint, once they've been activated in either country, they will only work in that country. In other words, even if you bought a BEV receiver from Canada, as soon as you attempt to get Dish programming it'll be "flashed" as a Dish receiver - with whatever Dish (USA) DVR "scheme" is happening at that time. There is no such thing as E* Canada, only BEV service.

You could try the "Canadian Solution" however, provided you're in the satellite footprint.;)

A ovious question comes to mind, how will this effect the AT&T HomeZone? Granted it was made by 2wire, but it 'technically' is a Dish DVR.

In retrospect, these events will just give Dish more spotlight in the media (some think they went out of business) and when the dust settles, Dish will gain more subs!

Even if Tivo wins, it will only put a minor dent in Dish, and might put out Tivo alltogether eventually ;) , but the media attention Dish will gain will be rewarding.

Yeah, this time the events happened too fast. Earlier this year it was big news, about the time I gained interest in Dish. I'm sure in 2/07 it will be again.

BigFella said:
As I understand it, even though they are essentially the same receivers from a hardware standpoint, once they've been activated in either country, they will only work in that country. In other words, even if you bought a BEV receiver from Canada, as soon as you attempt to get Dish programming it'll be "flashed" as a Dish receiver - with whatever Dish (USA) DVR "scheme" is happening at that time. There is no such thing as E* Canada, only BEV service.

You could try the "Canadian Solution" however, provided you're in the satellite footprint.;)

AFAIK they only activate receivers sold for their service and can tell them apart based on serial number.

keenan said:
Yes it would, US Court decisions are irrelevant in Canada, especially given that this decision is against Echostar and not Bell ExpressVu.

I may be wrong, but doesnt Bell ExpressVu purchase their receivers from E*. If so, and IF TIVO ultimately wins, E* will have to stop manufacturing DVR technology that is patented by TIVO. Although Bell would not have to stop current DVR's, they could not purchase any more DVR's from E* until E* changes the technology.

I personaly think TIVO's suit is just stupid. Using a hard drive to time shift video just seems like a natural progression of technology. Seems too obvious a concept to patent. Maybe the processor that allows it to work so well, but not the entire concept. If TIVO didn't first hand develop the processors that allow the technology to work, or the code to make it work, I don't see that they have a case.

Last edited:
sullivbt said:
andrews777;

You got it a ass backwards. The US patent system is a "first to invent" system - the EU and other countries use a "first to file" system. Ours is one of the only patent systems to work this way. The issue isn't "first to invent", it's the abjectly sh!tty quality of the patents that the USPTO approves.

No one else thought of watching one show while recording another before this patent? Yeah, right....

You need to think a bit more before slinging accusations. Filing still gets you lots of places, and that was my point....

Brad

It might be simple. It looks like the patent refers to savig it in a mpeg format. What if its saved in Divx or Windows Media?

Besides , no matter how you view Charlie, he plays to win and plays hard. With the company on the line, expect the play to be up a notch.

Hate to go back to directv and the evil man over there...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)