Updated New Pricing Info

Wow 109.69 for Dish HDPlatinum with locals for one 622. Hmm have to do some thinking on this one.

You're $5 off. DishHD Platinum (which will no longer exist by name, it will be AEP + HD Package) + Locals will be $114.99.

America's Everything Pak: $89.99
HD Package: $20
Locals: $5

Total: $114.99

Might have to do even more thinking.

the aep pack waives the dvr fee as well

I know that this has (and is currently) been the case, and I hope it will continue to be! Nowhere does it mention that AEP will no longer waive DVR fees, but let's hope they don't spring that upon us, either. Otherwise, unless you really want all the premiums + NBATV, there will be no reason to keep AEP.

I guess I'm just bitter that I got bait & switched. :) Signed up in November, guess I will enjoy the $5 break for Platinum for another month.. then pay my $10/month extra.

(Still hoping my credits for $20/month for 10 months and $15/month for 10 months from 3 referrals show up on my next bill)

I have never had an issue with making a commitment to Dish in exchange for saving some money whihc is why I liked the Annual package pricing. However, the DishDVR Advantage (AT200) with the DishHD package would save me money based on the upcoming increases, even more than I would save by paying the new annual price for AT200. The added bonus for me is getting the local ATSC stations added to the EPG, even though I won't watch the SD locals.

the aep pack waives the dvr fee as well
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that; I only knew about HD platinum.

Ok, let's look at the DishDVR Advantage alternative to AEP+HD then.

DVR Adv: $50 + $20 (A250+SHO) + $31 (HBO/SZ/CMAX) + $20 (HD) = $121
$2 more if they force you to pick HBO first.

Money-wise that's not different than AEP+HD(+DVR fee) = $116 and it forces you to take locals. I do realize DVR Advantage has some other perks that may be or may not be useful to existing ViP users (we haven't seen the complete details yet).

Don't forget, folks, that the DishDVR Advantage also includes the $5.99/mo Dish Home Protection Racket, er, Package, (DHPP) that Basic & Extended Warranty customers will be paying. Since I currently have the $1.99/mo Basic Warranty and will be hit with a $4/mo increase, DishDVR Advantage looks better and better.

Don't forget, folks, that the DishDVR Advantage also includes the $5.99/mo Dish Home Protection Racket, er, Package, (DHPP) that Basic & Extended Warranty customers will be paying. Since I currently have the $1.99/mo Basic Warranty and will be hit with a $4/mo increase, DishDVR Advantage looks better and better.
True, but what if you don't want DHPP and locals (both or one of the two), not to mention the 18 month commitment? On the other hand, the $50 price guarantee for 2 years is nice but notice it doesn't necessarily guarantee prices/fees beyond the base DVD Adv price.

Another poster posed this question, and I reiterate, will the 18-month commitment to DVRAdvantage waive the $199 622 upgrade fee?
One could make a very valid argument for this based on the following paragraph from the PDF doc:
-DishDVR Advantage costs $49.99/mo. (savings of $3.98/mo.) and is a comprehensive
package which includes:
– Dual-tuner fee-based DVR – Includes a two-room-ready DVR receiver – Model
522, 625, or ViP622 DVRTM receiver.

Another poster posed this question, and I reiterate, will the 18-month commitment to DVRAdvantage waive the $199 622 upgrade fee?
One could make a very valid argument for this based on the following paragraph from the PDF doc:
-DishDVR Advantage costs $49.99/mo. (savings of $3.98/mo.) and is a comprehensive
package which includes:
– Dual-tuner fee-based DVR – Includes a two-room-ready DVR receiver – Model
522, 625, or ViP622 DVRTM receiver.
Good question. I'd love to know the answer. Is there a Chat scheduled for Feb.? That's when most of this stuff gets announced, and usually there are info leaks a little beforehand.

Help! I'm Confused, I currently have dish hd platinum package, i will be downgrading to at 250 dvr advantage plan, i currently lease one 622, own one 622 and lease one 211. Feb 1 i will order the at 250 dvr advantage + showtime using cc auto pay. what will my new monthly charge be using the same equipment? pajer

I do not recall reading anything about DHPP being included in the DVR Advantage promotion that is coming up. If it includes the $5.99 warranty then I may have to consider that even though I would be forced into taking a movie package because I would still be paying less than if I did not have the package and have the movie package to boot. That would make it a $13 savings instead of a $7 savings. That would basically make the movie package free. When I order annual I save around 7-8% and do not have to hassle with a monthly bill.

The two things I'm wondering

1) Since I still have the "discounted" locals+supers package (8.99), do I lose that if I were to sign up for DVRA?

2) Are they still going to offer the $25 credit for returned "owned" receivers? The 510 I have is leased, but 25 bucks for the replacement 4900 I have would be nice.

I do not recall reading anything about DHPP being included in the DVR Advantage promotion that is coming up. If it includes the $5.99 warranty then I may have to consider that...
It's right there on page 6 of the PDF doc:

DHA-18 – New customers must qualify for DHA-18, so there’s no equipment to
purchase, and customers receive 18 months of DHPP free of charge. Existing
customers must make an 18 month commitment or be on Credit-Card AutoPay
(CCA).

The DHPP is free for new customers who must make the 18 month commitment, and for existing customers on CCA or willing to make a new 18 month commitment.

OK, since I was just rude, I'll try to help out to balance my karma.

:confused: $69.99 + $20 = $89.99. You would be dropping Cinemax, switching HBO for Showtime, and getting "50" more basic channels for $2 less. Not a bad deal, actually, but you're kind of comparing apples to oranges.

Where are you getting this extra $20?

The split between the major studios seems to be about 40% HBO/Cinemax, 35% Showtime/TMC, and 25% Starz/Encore. It's hard to say which one "gets the better movies". They all get "good" and "bad" movies. If one studio has a particularly good or bad year, it can tip the scale towards one channel or the other. And it's all subjective anyway...I tend to hate the big blockbuster movies.

If you want to catch everything, you really need a channel from all three groups. Since AT250 includes Encore & The Movie Channel, you may want to pick either HBO or Cinemax as your premium. Encore will show everything Starz shows, just a month or two later. Same goes for TMC...they'll eventually show every movie Showtime shows.

But there are other factors to consider. Both HBO and Showtime have original programming. (So does Starz, but it's very minor) Right now, my absolute favorite TV show (Dexter) is on Showtime...so I consider Showtime a must have. But a year or two ago, I watched little on Showtime and several shows on HBO.

Also, I consider Sundance a must in my house, which means I must subscribe to Showtime. Most households probably don't care about Sundance.

HD is another factor. If you have just Encore & TMC, you won't see 60% of the movies in HD. I'm currently trying to decide between AT200 with HBO/Sho/Starz and AT250 with HBO/Sho...roughly the same price, but I would miss 25% of the movies in HD.

One thing for sure...if you're only going to get 2 premiums, HBO/Cinemax is the worst possible combination. You're basically paying twice for the same movies. At one time, Cinemax was a very separate service. In fact, in the early 90's, I had ONLY Cinemax on cable. In the 80's, Cinemax had original shows too. But now, it's just recycled HBO movies. The only difference between Cinemax and TMC is that Cinemax occasionally premiers movies BEFORE HBO.

Thank you for your both posts. Sorry I had a long day when I posted yesterday and I just wanted the clarification I needed. I was seeing the 69.99 piece then I saw $20 to add just one movie package and that freeked me.
It makes sense what your saying as I did notice that Cinemax was the recycler of HBO for the most part and that was something on my mind for the past few months.. For me it may work out that I get the AT250 with HBO then.
I considered the NetFlix concept too but I not ready to be subscribing to that yet.
I dont know where I was thinking I was getting the extra $20 the HD pack maybe?
Say if I get the 622 do I have to get the HD pack right away? meaning I just get AT250 +HBO. Is there an advantage to getting it with the package upfront? Other then that I have a HDTV now.

It's right there on page 6 of the PDF doc:

DHA-18 – New customers must qualify for DHA-18, so there’s no equipment to
purchase, and customers receive 18 months of DHPP free of charge. Existing
customers must make an 18 month commitment or be on Credit-Card AutoPay
(CCA).

The DHPP is free for new customers who must make the 18 month commitment, and for existing customers on CCA or willing to make a new 18 month commitment.

Actually, that paragraph is anything but clear. To me, it seems to be saying that DHPP is free to NEW customers, but perhaps not existing ones. The next line is even more interesting as it seems to say if existing customers go on CCA they can avoid the 18 month commitment trap (note the word "or"). But that, too, is contradicted by a comment further down in the PDF. Very sloppy, and I honestly think no one will really know what their bill will or could be until they announce this thing officially.

On another note, I am pretty livid with Dish at the moment. Been annoyed at them since they backdoored me (in my opinion) by adding a leased reciever fee for my lone receiver when I upgraded to the 622. Swallowed it because I wanted my HD locals. Now, six months or so later to be hit with a $10 increase is just too much. Adding to the grief is the fact that Platinum subscribers like me seem to be getting hit the worst as it looks like we won't even be offered a version of the DVR advantage program.

Screw em. They just lit up Fios TV in my town and looking at the price it now makes economic sense to eat the early lease termination fee and move on. The equivalent HD package with a single HD DVR (which is what I have now) will be $25 less a month after this latest Dish hosing, even with Verizon's recent $3 price hike. I'll lose Voom (yawn) Food HD and HGTV HD, but gain several more HD locals, Cinemax HD, TMC HD, YES and YES HD, MTV HD and what's supposed to be better picture quality. I'll wait to see what the hikes are officially, but unless I see something substantially different from the PDF, or unless they do something like turning on the HD RSNs, it will most likely be See Ya' time.:hatsoff:

From my calculations the DVR Advantage includes the DVR fee.

$52.99 + $5.99 DVR Fee + $4.99 locals fee = $63.97
You Save $3.98 since its $59.99 for the DVR Advantage plan.

My numbers are slightly different, but result in pretty much the same thing:

Code:
AT120                 AT200                 DVR Advantage
$39.99                $42.99                $49.99 (AT200 + extras)     
$ 5.00 Locals         $ 5.00 Locals                (Locals included)
$ 5.98 DVR Fee        $ 5.98 DVR Fee               (DVR Fee waived)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
$50.97                $53.97                $49.99
$ 6.00 Lease Fee      $ 6.00 Lease Fee      $ 6.00  Lease Fee
====================================================================
$56.97                $59.97                $55.99

Based on that, it would seem that an existing AT120 customer who is willing to sign the 18 month contract will actually save a bit over current pricing - with the actual amount depending on the answers to some of the following questions:

1) Will the lease fee be dropped in this plan? The phrase "dual-tuner fee-based DVR" is unclear. Does this mean the fee is additional? Does this acknowledge that the normal fee is waived in the package? Based on the wording and their claim of savings, the only way to make the math work is if the Lease Fee is either dropped for both sides of the calculation (unlikely) or is not factored into the calculations.

2) Will existing customers who sign up for this plan receive the DHA-18? As noted in another post, the wording is unclear in regards to existing customers. If so, this is an additional "value" to the DVR Advantage package. Personally, I wouldn't pay for it, but would consider it a bonus to have at no charge! (I've always believed this should only be for purchased receivers; leased receivers should automatically be covered.)

I agree with others that the requirement to sub to a movie pack to receive the equivalent savings with AT250 as the base programming is utter foolishness.

One other issue I noticed that Dish has not addressed is the difference in HD channels based upon package. For example, National Geo HD is only currently available in Gold and above; and NFL HD is only currently available in Silver or above. Their insistence on referring to HD as a 'package' with a flat fee suggests that the channels are the same for all subscribers. They really need to build the HD into the core packages or make the channel availability the same. I think the easiest way to do this is to keep the VOOM channels as an add-on (like the old HD package, for around $10) and structure all other HD channels with the AT* packages where the customer receives the HD versions of programming automatically on HD boxes. I realize that is not too realistic, but this is where the HD enabling fee would finally make sense. Under this concept, an AT* subscriber could switch on the HD versions of channels in the package for an extra $6 (should be $5). For an additional $10 the Voom package could be added (base HD required to receive Voom).

Cheers,
Red

It looks like that even though Dish Network is requiring a movie package to be included with AT250 in order to get the AT250 DVR Advantage that they are also give more of a discount to help make up for it but it ultimately results in a bill that is $10 higher than it would be if the customer did not want the movie package. It seems like they are trying to see if people will bite.

If they want to charge a $5/$6 lease fee on the first tuner on the account then forget it. That wipes away the savings and then some. Now I do know that they refer as an additonal outlet as a lease fee and I can understand if they state it as a lease fee if you add it as an additional receiver making it an additional outlet fee but not if its the only receiver on your account or charging you that fee on the first AND second receiver even if the phone line is hooked up. That would be REDICULOUS. It would not be so bad if they would waive the DVR fee and perhaps only charge $49 to have it installed for an HD DVR or even an SD DVR for the dual tuner ones.

AS one can see by reading this thread, the new PDF Scott posted has actually created more confsuion than answers. I do wonder if even E* understands all these different packages and pricing schemes. The old left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. I think we will all have to wait and see the February billing and then everyone can compare their service level and amount due to what others are being billed. Right now it's a mass confused mess and I don't believe anyone that has read the PDF can really know what's included or what they are going to be charged.