Updated New Pricing Info

AS one can see by reading this thread, the new PDF Scott posted has actually created more confsuion than answers. I do wonder if even E* understands all these different packages and pricing schemes. The old left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. I think we will all have to wait and see the February billing and then everyone can compare their service level and amount due to what others are being billed. Right now it's a mass confused mess and I don't believe anyone that has read the PDF can really know what's included or what they are going to be charged.

I just received my first bill since upgrading to Platinum with locals. take a look at this mess. How is anyone supposed to understand this? I did email ceo@echostar and got a call trying to explain. There is indeed a leased receiver fee (they claim it is NEVER waived since the 622 has two tuners and hence counts as two machines!!!!!)

Ultimately, I still don't understand what my monthly bill will be. Only good news here is that my $100 rebate for returned equipment showed up really fast!

DHA DISHHD PLATINUM W/ PARTIAL MONTH(S) 12/06-01/10 -121.90
DHA DISHHD PLATINUM W/ PARTIAL MONTH(S) 12/06-01/10 121.90
DIGITAL HOME ADVANTAGE - PARTIAL MONTH(S) 12/06-01/10 -87.06
DISH HOME PROTECTION 5.99
DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICE PARTIAL MONTH(S) 12/06-01/10 -6.94
DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICEFEE 0.00
DISH NETWORK HD PACKAGE PARTIAL MONTH(S) 12/06-01/10 -11.60
DISHHD PLATINUM W/ PARTIAL MONTH(S) 12/06-01/10 121.90
DISHHD PLATINUM W/ LOCALS 104.99
HD EQ RTN CR - ADJUSTMENT -100.00
HDBONUS CREDIT 1 OF 10 - ADJUSTMENT -10.00
LEASE EQUIPMENT UPGRADE 199.99
LEASED RECEIVER FEE 6.00
LEASED RECEIVER FEE PARTIAL MONTH(S) 12/06-01/10 6.96
LEASED RECEIVER FEE PARTIAL MONTH(S) 12/06-01/10 -6.96
LEASED RECEIVER FEE PARTIAL MONTH(S) 12/06-01/10 6.96
VOOM ORIGINAL PARTIAL MONTH(S) 12/06-01/10 -5.80

AS one can see by reading this thread, the new PDF Scott posted has actually created more confsuion than answers. I do wonder if even E* understands all these different packages and pricing schemes. The old left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. I think we will all have to wait and see the February billing and then everyone can compare their service level and amount due to what others are being billed. Right now it's a mass confused mess and I don't believe anyone that has read the PDF can really know what's included or what they are going to be charged.

And you were thinking maybe this wasn't their intent? :cool:

I'm keeping my Platinum.

This whole pricing scheme is WAY more complicated than it should be.

HD is going to be the standard by the end of the decade, meaning that most of the channels most people care about will be in HD. By then most people will have at least one HDTV. HD-DVR units handle both HD and SD.

Dish could simplify things dramatically by the end of the decade by not making a distiction in packages based on HD content (four packages, four prices with no extra charge for HD); they should only offer HD-DVR units -- three total choices based on tuners and hard drive space -- pick a one, two or three tuner unit with lease cost based on the number of tuners; fold the phone fee into the package pricing. That's it. Lease fee on the DVR you pick with fee based on the number of tuners, your programming package price, any premium channels prices (if you want them), and service contract price (if you want it).

One super cheap non-DVR unit could be offered for those who want just the bare bones $19 Family Package.

The pricing system in place now is too complex.

I think the main problem Dish is facing with HD was that they had to sign an agreement to carry the VOOM channels to get the 61.5 slot and satellite from VOOM. Now we are paying for it by having a $20 HD package vs a $5 one. They probably have a minimum revenue guarantee on the VOOM package and making it a la carte would cause too many people to drop the VOOM and they would get stuck with the bill. Who would drop VOOM for $10-$15/month savings?

They charge a lease fee even with only one receiver on the account? Holy crap. Talk about nickel and dime.

It's a LEASE fee. If you LEASE, you pay a LEASE fee. Got nothing to do with the number of receivers.

but as a promo for new customers you don't pay a lease fee on the first leased receiver.

It's a LEASE fee. If you LEASE, you pay a LEASE fee. Got nothing to do with the number of receivers.
Are you saying they charge a lease fee for the first receiver? When did they start this? They used to only charge lease fees on add'l receivers, not the first. (The same as the "mirroring" fees on owned equipment.) I hope they're not charging lease fees AND mirroring fees on the same receivers now.

Just another reason not to switch to them, I guess. If there is a lease fee in additon to everything else, E* will cost more than I pay with C*, plus I'll have to pony up $200 to lease a 622, for which they want me to pay an add'l $6/mo lease fee?! That is just screwed up.

i explained it above gary

new subs do not pay a lease fee on the first receiver when they sign up

but when you add a leased receiver to an exisiting account under dish'n it up they charge the lease fee even if you get rid of all other receivers you had

but when you add a leased receiver to an exisiting account under dish'n it up they charge the lease fee even if you get rid of all other receivers you had
This is why I bought my ViP211 from Claude at DishStore and made it the primary receiver. With the amount I got for my 811 and DishStore's 10% off for Black Friday, my break-even on this is only 10 months. With the ViP622's higher price, the breakeven was more like three years, far enough out that Dish's next gotta-have-it HD receiver should be available. And the lease fee is the same as the 2nd receiver fee.

Well, either way, BFG is right. It all depends upon your circumstances and the program you come in under. It all can change next month.

i explained it above gary

OINK OINK. But hey, I wouldn't mind paying a $6.00 lease fee if they WOULDN'T CHARGE AN UPFRONT $199 FEE FOR A 622!!! To pay both is nutty! If anybody has to pay a $6 lease fee on a receiver they shouldn't have to pay anything upfront. Dish is making money leaps and bounds by the time they get that $6 lease fee, $200 upfront fee, and $20 in HD fees per month. Your first year would be $200 + $72 + $240 = 512. That seems like an aweful lot to me. They sure make up for that 622 cost aweful quickly.

After reading Dish's site I came here to ask for help on figuring out pricing, but I see I'm not the only one having trouble! Let me try to figure this out...

I'm an existing user with AT120 + Locals + 2 premiums (HBO, SHO). I own a 301 receiver and a Dish 500. I only care about hooking up 1 TV. Basically, I just want to add a 622 to my system to get HD versions of my current stuff. (I'll keep the 301 to use with my ReplayTV.)

I have no phone line for the 622 though. That's an extra $5/mo, yes? And $6/mo lease on the 622? And a $6 DVR fee? And $5/mo to keep my 301 alive too, right? So my costs increase by $22 in just fees before I add $20/mo for HD. (Ow, that hurts. With my single lowly 301, there are no fees but programming. Not even a no-phone fee.)

My total monthly cost would be $22 (fees) + $43 (AT200) + $5 (locals?) + $22 (HBO/SHO) + $20 (HD) = $112. Did I get that right? (I can't find info on the locals.)

On the DVR Advantage program, I am unclear on the costs. I guess it would be the same $22 in fees + $50 in programming (AT200 + locals) + $22 (HBO/SHO) + $20 (HD) = $114. Hmm.

As for setup costs, there's the $199 fee to start leasing the 622. I would also need a second dish, I guess, for the HD... Or a Dish 1000? plus the necessary switches and stuff to feed the 301 and 622. Plus installation, unless it's free for upgraders. Can anyone ballpark how much that would cost?

Thanks everyone, this is a useful discussion.

it's not extra to keep the 301 alive

the dvr advantage includes the dvr fee, at 200, and locals

the 622 upgrade includes installation

If the DVR fee and locals are included in the DVR Advantage price, that would be great.

But why would there not be a charge for a second box? I used to have 2 cheapo receivers and they charged $5/mo for that.

Anyhoo, thanks for the info.

because the 301 is your first box

you'd be adding the 622 as your second box and get's charged just the lease fee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts