Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cascade

Goose.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 1, 2004
37.134004N 76.561779W
Has anyone done this? The instructions on the DMSI site are vague to say the least.
I've tried a store bought null cable and made my own, neither want to co-operate.
Cheers :)

Oh, if anyone's thinking about buying one of the Satworks, I say go for it, these things are awesome, I'm now a blind search junkie.

I have 3618 and use straight through cable with it. 3688 should be similar. Almost fried my receiver trying to flash it. The program for downloading the update just timed out while the receiver was showing 100%. It was pretty tricky but I got my receiver back + upgraded it with the latest firmware.
My advice is freshly reboot the receiver before you do the update. First try downloading the firmware from the receiver to the PC and see if it will work.
First time I did it, it timed out on me, after reboot worked fine.
And lastly DMSI quoted me 25 bucks to reflash it + shipping.

Good luck :cool:

I've tried everything, serial port settings, 2 cables, tried following the directions on the site - it all just times out for some reason.
it mentions powering down the receiver and powering up again with either of the arrow keys pressed until it says it's connected, nothing happens though.
It's weird.

Upgrading most receivers is really pretty simple. If problems are encountered, usually the receiver or the software get blamed. I would say 99.9% of the time it is not the reciever or the software but the settings or the RS232 cable. Here's a post I did (on another forum) some time ago. I hope it will help you.

Tim
===================
Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:51 pm Post subject: Satwork Loader tips
Having problems making your loader work? Here is the most common problems.

1. Com Port is set wrong. Choose the correct port.
2. "Upgrade Type" should be set to "download software"
3. Baud rate of the computer port should match the software (115200).
4. RS232 cable should be a serial cable with connections 2-2, 3-3 and 5-5
5. Your receiver should be OFF when you press "START" on the software. Hold the "UP" or "DOWN" button on the receiver and turn on the power using the power switch. Hold the "UP" or "DOWN" button in until the software says "Connected....".

Remember, turning the power off means exactly what it says. You must turn the power switch off or unplug it from the wall socket. This is totally different from using the remote. The remote puts the receiver in "STANDBY" and does NOT turn the power off.

Cascade said:
Has anyone done this? The instructions on the DMSI site are vague to say the least.
I've tried a store bought null cable and made my own, neither want to co-operate.

Oh, if anyone's thinking about buying one of the Satworks, I say go for it, these things are awesome, I'm now a blind search junkie.

Here's a little more information that might help.
===========================
Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:03 pm Post subject: RS232 cables explained

For PC to Receiver we use a serial cable. The ends are RS232 9 pin male to female. It's the same cable you might use on a thermal printer for UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc. It's a straight through cable. Although it is a 9 pin cable the only connections required are:
pin 2 to pin 2
pin 3 to pin 3
pin 5 to pin 5

For Receiver to Receiver (cloning) we use a null modem cable. Sometimes called a twisted pair cable. The ends are RS232 9 pin male to male. Although it is a 9 pin cable the only connections required are:
pin 2 to pin 3
pin 3 to pin 2
pin 5 to pin 5

I hope this will clear up any confusion and help you in purchasing the correct cable. RS232 cables are available from your DMS International dealer. We supply a high quality cable with molded ends. If you have any problem finding these cables you are welcome to send me a email and I'll point you to the dealers that carry these.

Hi Tim, Yesterday I tried 3 different cables, both COM ports on my main PC and both COM ports on an older Dell set to 115200 with no luck.
I'm using CPUpgrade V2.02, Upgrade type: download software, ST3688-20040608.hex
Pins 2,3,5 are connected on both male and female DB9 connectors and the cable tests ok.
When I hit connect, hold down the arrow keys on the receiver and turn it on from the back it boots up as normal - the software doesn't hangs at Connecting... and the receiver just changes channels according to which key I'm holding.
I've tried going into the upgrade menu and transferring the firmware that way but it either says Connect Failed or hangs until I cancel out.
If I download the software from the receiver to the PC it'll connect, the software and receiver will say it's transferring but they both stay at 0% until I cancel out of that.
Any more ideas?

Normally if it fails to connect it's the cable but after trying 3 cables it certainly makes me wonder. Maybe the best thing is to send the receiver in and let us look at it. You can get a RA# at http://www.dmsiusa.com/ra_form.htm or by calling our service line 770-874-1079. Let me know if you decide to send it in and I will speak to the service manager about it. If there is no problem found I will ask him to wave the normal $25 "no problem found" fee and we will load the latest software. If there is some problem found, we will repair it for you. Fair enough? Thanks for buying our products.

Thanks Tim, it's appreciated and it also says a lot about DMSI.
Makes me glad I bought the rest of my FTA gear from people (PSB and DMSI) who care about their customers, and what they sell.

Kudos.

question for mister tim....will the 3688 operate a mechanical servo? a polarotor!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)