Updgraded from 722k to Hopper 3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Low Timer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Good morning, I recently upgraded from two 722k receivers to a Hopper 3 and 3 Joeys, but the HD video quality seems to be less on the Hopper and Joeys compared to the 722k. The HDMI cables between the TV and Hopper and one of the Joey's are the same used with the 722k, the only difference being the receiver change. I have been checking and re-checking to insure I have the proper settings, but can't seem to find an improvement. One strange item I have noticed, if I change the TV resolution within the settings menu of any of the new receivers, I see no noticeable difference on my TV screen, 480i appears the same as 1080i. Each TV indicates the different resolutions, but really not seeing any changes in the picture quality. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would have thought the picture quality would have been worse when I switched to 480i.

Has anyone had similar experience or suggestions I can try?

Thanks

I went from a 722K to a Hopper 3 and the video looks the same to me. Someone elsewhere suggested checking a setting on the TV to insure it is set properly, something about setting the video bit to bit but I don't know what that means. I have a Joey 4k on my other TV which is not a 4K TV and the video looks the same as it did when I had the 722K and 211K connected to it. Both TVs are 1080I I think.

Maybe your tv upconverts everything to 1080i or higher , making the picture look the same no matter what you set your receiver for. Is your tv a 4k tv?

Have you checked the "Adjust Screen" on the settings screen where you change the resolution? It is on a button on bottom left of that same page. I know all of my H3/Joeys originally defaulted to a setting where the pic was zoomed in a good bit. Once I adjusted that back out, the PQ was much better.

You may be sitting too far away to even see a difference. As an example to see 1080 resolution on 55" TV you have to be less than 7' from the TV. As mentioned be sure you are not zoomed.

Check if there really is a difference between the settings sit very close to the TV, 3' or so. After watching something for a few seconds in 480 (not a darkly lit scene) pause it. Go back and watch a few times so you can remember what you see, looking at the outline of the people, how defined their body is from the background, details of clothing. Now change the resolution to 1080 or 720 and do you see more detail, better definition between people and background, etc...?
The source material makes a big difference, so reruns on USA as an example should not be used they often do not look as good as when they first ran. I suggest watching an OTA channel if you are using an antenna, but generally a show that is new and has good PQ to begin with.

Btw you can do the same between 720P and 1080I and the results can be surprising. 720P can produce a better picture even though less resolution.

This is the second thread about video quality suffering after upgrading to the H3. The first one was going from the H2 to the H3, and now this.

If you have to use the "circles" to adjust the screen, your 1080 TV is not set to pixel for pixel or the equivalent for your brand. For some reason I had to reset my Samsung 4k TV to "fit to screen" after the Hopper3 was installed.

image.jpeg
If you have to use the "circles" to adjust the screen, your 1080 TV is not set to pixel for pixel or the equivalent for your brand. For some reason I had to reset my Samsung 4k TV to "fit to screen" after the Hopper3 was installed.
Just a FYI.
All that the screen adjust circles do is adjust the screen overlays. (menus, guide, etc.) The channel video is NOT adjusted.
Here's an image of the screen showing that just the overlay is changed.

Last edited:
Maybe your tv upconverts everything to 1080i or higher , making the picture look the same no matter what you set your receiver for. Is your tv a 4k tv?

That appears to be the case. No, my TV is not 4K, believe it's a 2013 Sony model.

Have you checked the "Adjust Screen" on the settings screen where you change the resolution? It is on a button on bottom left of that same page. I know all of my H3/Joeys originally defaulted to a setting where the pic was zoomed in a good bit. Once I adjusted that back out, the PQ was much better.

Yes, mine was zoomed so the complete circles were shown, have zoomed out now. Looks like this may have helped some.

Reactions: DWS44
You may be sitting too far away to even see a difference. As an example to see 1080 resolution on 55" TV you have to be less than 7' from the TV. As mentioned be sure you are not zoomed.

Check if there really is a difference between the settings sit very close to the TV, 3' or so. After watching something for a few seconds in 480 (not a darkly lit scene) pause it. Go back and watch a few times so you can remember what you see, looking at the outline of the people, how defined their body is from the background, details of clothing. Now change the resolution to 1080 or 720 and do you see more detail, better definition between people and background, etc...?
The source material makes a big difference, so reruns on USA as an example should not be used they often do not look as good as when they first ran. I suggest watching an OTA channel if you are using an antenna, but generally a show that is new and has good PQ to begin with.

Btw you can do the same between 720P and 1080I and the results can be surprising. 720P can produce a better picture even though less resolution.

Thanks, I was able to see the difference when sitting close to the TV. What would cause 720P to produce the better picture?

Reactions: Tampa8

I've changed the settings within the TV to what Sony calls "Full Pixel". This setting displays the full circles produced by the Hopper.

Thanks, I was able to see the difference when sitting close to the TV. What would cause 720P to produce the better picture?
Progressive vs. interlaced. You wouldn't see any scan lines and "slicing" of the video in horizontal fast motion scenes like you would with 1080i

Not everyone agrees just to be fair, and there is some dependence on the TV's capability to convert the signal. It isn't much of a difference on my four year old LG TV, but is on my new 4K Samsung. 720P is clearly a better overall picture, smoother motion and even letters are rounded while 1080I is just a little jaggad. Note that to get better motion for 1080I TV's have a motion control that work with varying levels of success. On my Samsung that feature is greyed out for 720P or 1080P because it isn't needed. My Tivo converts 1080I to 1080P before sending it to the TV and picture is the best I have had short of the little 4K available. Even then, there is some 4K that I do not think is clearly better than 1080P or 1080P from blu-rays. That's a whole other discussion...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)