Upgrade 508 to 522/625 - worth it

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
I presently have a 508 & 4900, but am considering a switch to 522/625 & 322. But I have a couple of ?'s.

I have read that you can switch the lnb (I have dish 500) and only run a single cable inside the house and run both tuners. Does the single cable hurt the picture quality?

Is it possible to use the rf of tv2 as the main signal for 2 tv's since it is stereo?

Does the 522/625 allow the analog ota channels to be viewed on both tv1 & tv2? Does the 322 allow analog ota to be viewed on tv1 & tv2?

If I decide to make this upgrade, should I also insist on running new cables from the dish inside the house? I have had my present setup for approximately 5 years.

Have most of the "bugs" been worked out of these units?

Ok to use a single coax feed you will need a DPP system which is more expensive to than a Dp setup as for decreased picture quality I do not know since I have never seen the DPP setup in operation. The only current dish network receivers that allow the use of OTA signals are the dish network HD receivers and the 522/625, and 322 are all SD receivers and do not have a HD OTA tuner built in. As long as all your current cable runs are good RG6 coax with a minimum of splices you should be ok however new coax runs are always the best. And yes you can use the dishnetwork receiver RF output for TV2 as the main feed for TV 2 that the way its done most of the time since its easier to just run a single coax between the Dish network receiver in one room to the TV in another room. As a side note the RF feed to TV2 from a Dish network 322 is not stereo only the 522/625 and 942 are stereo on the TV2 RF.

I understand that the 322/522/625 do not have hd tuners. But they do have analog, don't they or are the ota antenna signals just passed thru? If I am watching satellite programming on tv1, can the viewer on tv2 watch the ota local channels? What about tv2 watching satellite, can tv1 watch the ota locals?

I may consider using the rf feed from tv2 to feed the main tv, as well as the secondary tv (easier for the wife) since all of our tv's are the old analog type due to the stereo signal.

No, they don't have analog tuners. Most local channels (depending on market location) are provided digitally via satellite. So, there is no OTA tuner on the 522/625.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)