Upgrade Dish Requirements Question (existing system)

willr

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Oct 18, 2010
se pa
I currently have two 722 and one 508 receivers. (508 is in Daughters bedroom, who is leaving for collage in less then 1 year).

I have DPP LNB/s on a 500 pointing at 110 and 119, and a 300 with DPP LNB pointed at 61.5
These all feed a DPP 44, which then distributes to each receiver. I also have the 1 into 2 switches on the back of the 722's.

Dishnetwork sent me a letter telling me I need to upgrade. Problem is I am having 2nd thoughts of an additional 2 year commitment..(if they would give me comcast sportsnet Phila I would have no issue).
Plus they are forcing me to not only upgrade my dish (not a problem) but they want me to upgrade my 705.

Anyway, they are telling me that I now need my HD receivers to look at 61.5, 72.7 and 77. BUT they are telling me that my 508 will not work on the 72.7 / 77 satellites.

It looks like they will replace my 61.5 with a new dish that sees 61.5, 72.7 and 77.
Why can't I just replace that one dish, then feed that into my DPP44, along with the 110/119.
Then all 3 receivers will continue to still work correct?

What dish do I replace my 61.5 with? I might just buy my own and not be locked in for 2 more years.

I also do a lot of RV use on the East Coast. Currently my RV TV is not HD. I just throw the 722 into the RV, then a single feed from a tripod mounted dish 500 (dpp LNB) into the receiver (with 1 into 2 switch on back of receiver) and I can receive most of what I want to watch. (even locals until I move out of spot beam). I also use the 722 to run 2 TV's in the RV.

(the trick to moving the receiver between the house and RV is to do a switch test before you try to aim the dish in the RV :))

also, will my 722 continue to work in the RV using just 110/119 for Not HD tv use, or do I need to replace the RV dish as well?

Thanks in advance
(dish customer since 1994)

If E* is moving you to EA, they will install a 1000.4 dish. EA is a Mpeg4 only system so your old 508 will not work. You will no longer need the 500 dish. The 1000.4 can be fed into your DPP44 switch. Your 722 will continue to work in your RV. Tell E* that you will only do this change if there is no 2 year commitment.

The Eastern Arc dish is the 1000.4. You could in fact feed the 61.5 and 72.7 outputs into your DPP44 along with 110 and 119, and preserve the functionality of your 508. This is still "split arc" and as such unsupported, but some folks are doing it. You could also leave up your D500 for the 508, and plug your new 1000.4 into your HD receivers. I did this, but I got into an argument with the installer who wanted to take both dishes down.

I would tell dish that they can come and install the 1000.4 Dish if they want to. There should be no commitment for this as they are forcing the change. Tell them you don't want to upgrade the 508 and leave it connected to the Dish500.

Make the installer replace your 61.5 dish with the 1000.4 and tell him to leave your other stuff alone.

It's your house, they do what you want. If they won't do what you want then tell them to bad. You don't need to change, your system works just fine.

I had to argue with them for an hour on the phone when I upgraded to HD 4 Life. They wanted to come out and change me to eastern arc, even though everything is on the western arc with 129. I don't have a LOS to the eastern arc.

Keep in mind that without the upgrade you are missing several of the newly added HD channels that are on 72.7. As mentioned above you could keep the 508 on the old dish, but see if they will upgrade that for free to a MPEG 4 unit.

they will replace the 508 with a 612 I think it was called, which would fit the bill. It would cost $3.00 more more per month, but it's the 2 year commitment. I can see there point. Around here Fios is also requiring a 2 year commitment, but they are guaranteeing price as well. Thanks for the help. I will keep my eyes open for a 1000.4 for my RV as well. With the higher elevation of the satellites it would open more campsites I now avoid because of how low the 110/119 is

The 1000.4 can be fed into your DPP44 switch.
I'm pretty sure that the 1000.4 has three outputs already so the DPP44 wouldn't be necessary.

The "split arc" idea sounds pretty good to me but what I would probably do is just have DISH remount the Dish 500 somewhere handy (for quick removal) and take it down when the daughter goes away to school.

so after all the crap different CSR's told me, the last guy I talked to said "because this is a complete home upgrade, you are not subject to the 24 month commitment". They will be out next week to install my new dish and a new 612 receiver. Now if we could just get them to ship the equipment instead of sending out some contractor I would be happy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts