Upgrade from 622 to 722?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

RocketFoot

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2005
Southwestern PA
Hi guys...is there any way to upgrade from my current vip622 to a new 722 or 722k? I am leased right now and the 622 is running strong although, I have had several instances that I had to do a hard reboot (Picture froze/no DVR controls/no sound) Reboot fixed all problems, but I am starting to think that the proverbial 'writing is on the wall' for this unit! LOL I could also really use the extra disc space!

Any input will be appreciated!

Last edited:
Do you have EHD activated? Also, is it in a well ventilated enviroment?
Anyway, you could DIU. Costs $75.00 shipped if you quality.

If your 622 is working well why do you think you need to upgrade? If you need additional hard disc space you can use an external hard drive, otherwise will you gain anything that you will use? I did the upgrade 14 months ago and could have easily stayed with the 622 and saved the $50 ($150 less $100 rebate which I had to fight for) plus an additional 18 month service agreement. I will be looking long and hard before deciding to upgrade again.

Don't get me wrong - the 722 is a terrific DVR and has performed well, but the only advantage I found was the larger hard drive capacity, and I ended up paying the $35 premium to use the external hard drive anyway to move my 622 recordings to the 722. When all the dust cleared I wondered what I gained.

I have 2 622s, one leased, one purchased. I'd never think of getting rid of either of them only for a little extra HD space since they both work flawlessly. You always have a risk of getting an upgraded 722 that will give you nothing but trouble that you didn't have to begin with. I still think the phrase "If it aint broke, don't fix it" is one of the best things my father every told me when I was growing up. I added an EHD and got all the space I need.

I have 2 622s, one leased, one purchased. I'd never think of getting rid of either of them only for a little extra HD space since they both work flawlessly. You always have a risk of getting an upgraded 722 that will give you nothing but trouble that you didn't have to begin with. I still think the phrase "If it aint broke, don't fix it" is one of the best things my father every told me when I was growing up. I added an EHD and got all the space I need.

IF IT AINT BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!!!!

If you have it in an entertainment center, it would be a good idea to have active fan management, i.e. have some kind of fan actively moving cool air in or warm air out of the unit directly.

Unless it overheats, the internal fan does not operate and by then it may be too late.

only other reason to get the 722k is for the dual OTA recording which is what i need to get rid of my $5 fee

hd died on my 622 last week :(

they did send a replacement 622, but I did have to pay thirty something for shipping

I only wish I would have moved more shows to the external hd because I lost about 25 hours of HD recordings with the crash

point being, I would have lost more if I had more recording time on the DVR itself :)

the 622 has advantages heh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts