upgrade from VIP722K to Hopper?

mlcarson

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Any reason to do a VIP722K to Hopper upgrade? Is the software on the hopper stable and better than the VIP722k? I upgraded my VIP722 to a VIP722K about 10 mo's ago when the VIP722 broke so it's not that old. I have an antenna module in the VIP722K so I get an extra tuner on occasion for what the antenna will pick up. I've only have one TV at the moment so don't have to worry about Joey's. My understanding is that a Hopper has 1TB of hard drive space usable compared to the 500GB on the VIP722K so I see that's an advantage.

If I get a free upgrade to a hopper does that put me under contract again for 2 years? Currently I'm off contract.

As much as I prefer the Hopper, perhaps for you your current box is best.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The Hopper has 2TB of internal hard drive storage,plenty of apps,& 3 tuners versus just 2 for the 722k. If I had not been sitting on a 722k that I bought off of eBay for over a year before I activated Dish,I'd have a Hopper now. If you haven't put any money into your 722k,then BUY a Hopper & own it,then have it activated.

Don't forget to buy a node. And be sure to have 3 GHz coax where required.

I assume you mean that I'll be under contract if I upgrade to the hopper. If so then it's probably not worth it to me. I like having the option of moving to DirecTV or cable. I'm currently paying $84.59/mo for dish service:
$54.99 - Top 120
$7 - DVR Service
$7 - Protection plan
$6 - Heartland
$5 - BlazeTV
$4.60 - taxes

Technically I could do the same or maybe better with DirecTV's Ultimate package with the offers in my area over 2 yrs and get a Genie. I just wouldn't get BlazeTV but would get some other nice channels. Or go with Comcast and get 260 channels (including hbo,starz,cinemax, showtime) and 25Mbs Internet for $109.99 for 24 mo's and get a Tivo or something. I'm just so familiar with Dish that I'm hesitant to change.

What do you mean by buy a node?

I assume you mean that I'll be under contract if I upgrade to the hopper. If so then it's probably not worth it to me. I like having the option of moving to DirecTV or cable. I'm currently paying $84.59/mo for dish service:
$54.99 - Top 120
$7 - DVR Service
$7 - Protection plan
$6 - Heartland
$5 - BlazeTV
$4.60 - taxes

Technically I could do the same or maybe better with DirecTV's Ultimate package with the offers in my area over 2 yrs and get a Genie. I just wouldn't get BlazeTV but would get some other nice channels. Or go with Comcast and get 260 channels (including hbo,starz,cinemax, showtime) and 25Mbs Internet for $109.99 for 24 mo's and get a Tivo or something. I'm just so familiar with Dish that I'm hesitant to change.

What do you mean by buy a node?
If you buy a Hopper instead of lease one,you won't be under contract. You'll need one of these for the Hopper http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=02&p=ES194858&d=DISH-Network-USB-Digital-OTA-Tuner-For-Hopper-(ES194858)&c=DISH Network Receivers&sku=753960013176 if you want to receive OTA reception. It connects to the Hopper via USB port with the other end connected to your OTA antenna.

The Hopper system is wired differently. Schematics are posted on this site - sorry I can't like to them now. Dish to node to Hopper.

I will say that if you do buy a Hopper,for the price you'll pay(usually over $200.00 at least for a Hopper with Sling),you might as well stay with Dish as if you initiated a 24 month contract for leasing one,because it doesn't make sense to pay that much money to just drop Dish soon afterwards.

Purchasing rarely makes financial sense for an upgrade unless there is a need to stop/restart service at will.

The HWS (or two) + Joey(s) + Node + Cable + any install tools needed would all need to be purchased. With a contract all the equipment + labor is likely "free" or maybe $99.

The ETF fee for an upgrade is $10 per month for the remaining months. Even if the Hopper upgrade was installed today and cancelled tomorrow the ETF would only be $240 - about the same as the retail cost of an HWS alone.

The owned HWS equipment could be sold to recoup some of the purchase cost, but how likely is it to cancel in the next six months or even year? With the ETF being reduced by $10 each month, the window for coming out ahead with purchased HWS/Joey equipment is very, very small - if it exists at all.

Even if the user doesn't qualify for the "free" upgrade, it probably makes more sense to pay the fee and take the contract for most users.

Last edited: