upgrade last week to 722/playback trouble

Lisa413

Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
North Texas
Here's the history (and I apologize for the length):

Dec. 07 we upgraded to a 622. Within a few weeks, I started having problems during playback of dvr events. It would suddenly stop playing with usually less than half of the program remaining. It would show 0:00 time left as if it had reached the end of the recording. I would have to start over, fast forward to where it stopped and then it might or might not finish playing. Sometimes I would have to back out of the recording all together, go to live tv or another recording and THEN go back to the original and start over. Most times it would finish playing.
Dish seemed to know nothing of this problem each time I called (and I called many times). Jumped thru all their hoops.
Replacement sent. Same exact thing. Problem was intermittant, random.
3rd replacement sent. By now it's about 2 months left till upgrade time. That unit did not duplicate the problem.

Now, we are less than one week into our 722 upgrade and guess what? SAME PROBLEM. Exactly. Told tech: "Don't EVEN ask me to do troubleshooting. Just send a replacement".

Dish is sending a replacement next week. I opted (just this once) to try and set it up myself to avoid the $29 fee. I've always had an installer because I am not good with wiring hookups and my husband is out of town during the week. I CANNOT BELIEVE they have the nerve to charge me anything after all the trouble I've had and having had this 722 for less than one week. My bill runs over $200 (HD everything AND Wildblue), with the 722, 311 and a 612 (which was also an upgrade from a 211 last week). Oh, and we only have 3 tv's.

Has anyone else had this same playback issue? The tech on Friday said he was aware of it and "engineering is looking into a resolution".

Also, I've got this set for 1080i with a brand new Samsung LN52A650 1080p set. I know they are supposedly the same except for the hard drive size. I changed it to 720p but noticed no improvement. Maybe the replacement will give a better picture. It was jaw-dropping with the 622. Not so much now.

If you are having that many problems with 622/722, then I would start looking elsewhere.. Having installed these since they first came out, I just haven't seen the kind of issues you are talking about.. Yes occasionally I see a bad one.. But your case leads me to believe there is something else wrong in your setup.. Is the unit in a well ventilted area. The only ones I have had issues with were placed in enclosed cabinets and just plain overheated. Maybe a bad power issue such as spikes or brownout?.. Something is causing your problem.. There is just zero chance in my book that you could have that many bad units.

Mark,
You're answer would seem to make sense except for the following:
The first 2 622's were hooked up to a different tv and sound system. The 622's sat on top of the tv with no over-heating problems.
The 3rd 622 was on the same setup until a couple of weeks before Christmas. Then it was moved to the new tv in a console. Still no problems with THAT 622.
The 722 is setup with the new tv, sound system in the same well ventilated console. We've had everything connected to a power conditioner battery backup for a few months. First 622 was just connected to a surge protector. We have to have protection where we live cause of storms and our house is older.
It did the same thing again today. Just stopped playing with about 18 minutes left.
And remember, The tech on Friday said he was aware of it and "engineering is looking into a resolution".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts