Upgrade locally or direct through Dish?

Jer8888

Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
North Alabama
My DMA (Huntsville, AL) was designated Eastern Arc so my locals in HD are on 61.5. My only line of sight is toward 110, 119, and possibly 129. I have been getting Dish in SD for nine years from 110 and 119. I have been waiting for the new sat at 129 to upgrade to HD. A local installer told me one year ago that I could get 129 with a second dish if I cut a tree.
To go with the local installer I would need to buy a new HD DVR at full price from him. If I try to upgrade through Dish Network I will get the receiver free but the installer they send may say I don't have LOS and take back the receiver. Also, it appears that Huntsville, AL locals in HD will not be mirrored on 129 and I can't get OTA networks even with a 30ft tower. After the new system is setup I am thinking of "moving" to just to get ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX in HD. Should I try the direct thru Dish method first or should I go for the sure but more expensive local installer.
Thanks,
Jeremy

My DMA (Huntsville, AL) was designated Eastern Arc so my locals in HD are on 61.5. My only line of sight is toward 110, 119, and possibly 129. I have been getting Dish in SD for nine years from 110 and 119. I have been waiting for the new sat at 129 to upgrade to HD. A local installer told me one year ago that I could get 129 with a second dish if I cut a tree.
To go with the local installer I would need to buy a new HD DVR at full price from him. If I try to upgrade through Dish Network I will get the receiver free but the installer they send may say I don't have LOS and take back the receiver. Also, it appears that Huntsville, AL locals in HD will not be mirrored on 129 and I can't get OTA networks even with a 30ft tower. After the new system is setup I am thinking of "moving" to just to get ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX in HD. Should I try the direct thru Dish method first or should I go for the sure but more expensive local installer.
Thanks,
Jeremy

Welcome to the forum.

Is there no location on your property which has a SE exposure? The wing dish doesn't have to be located next to the other dish. It can be 200 feet away if necessary. I certainly wouldn't be paying the local retailer a bunch of money for something you can lease. You'll pay E* $7 a month whether you get the receiver from E* or pay full price to the local shop. Other than avoiding a commitment, there is no advantage to buying over leasing.

Laddyboy, thank you for your advice. My house is on a wooded SW facing hillside. My dad cut a swath of trees about 25 years ago for a C-band dish. I am using that same window to get line of sight to 110 and 119. The local installer said I could get 129 but that it would "Take someone who really knew what they were doing". He also recommended cutting another tree but I don't remember which one. 61.5 is not an option. I don't really want to have to buy the receiver but I was worried that an installer sent by Dish wouldn't be willing or able to do the job and take back the equipment like when I tried getting Directv.

Laddyboy, thank you for your advice. My house is on a wooded SW facing hillside. My dad cut a swath of trees about 25 years ago for a C-band dish. I am using that same window to get line of sight to 110 and 119. The local installer said I could get 129 but that it would "Take someone who really knew what they were doing". He also recommended cutting another tree but I don't remember which one. 61.5 is not an option. I don't really want to have to buy the receiver but I was worried that an installer sent by Dish wouldn't be willing or able to do the job and take back the equipment like when I tried getting Directv.

Since you have 110/119, you only need about 10 degrees more opening toward the west for 129. I don't think any of us here can say whether that 10 degrees exists or not. If they can't sight in 129, there would be no reason for them to leave the HD receiver for a few HD channels on 110 as there is no package they could offer you that includes only the national HD on 110. You can always try E* direct first and if that doesn't work out, go with the local retailer. You may need to fell a couple more trees. If you go to Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com and enter your address, you can see the exact line of sight and elevation needed for various satellites.

I think the rules have changed in regards to upgrades, a year ago you may have been unable to upgrade through your local retailer unless they were who you originally signed up through, however i think now a retailer can upgrade any customer they want with the same deal that customer could get directly through dish. You might try giving them a call again.

One easy way is to add an antenna to get locals via OTA. As an added bonus you will also get get CW(15.1), PBS(25.1) This TV(48.2) & Wamy(54.2) as well.

If you have an attic buy a DB4 antenna for less than $40, it will work fine for you.

A retailer that has been in business for years and years and years that does their own work is far more reliable than anyone directly from DISH's in-house job showing up, most of the time.

Would you take your car to Jiffy Lube?

Go Local!

A retailer that has been in business for years and years and years that does their own work is far more reliable than anyone directly from DISH's in-house job showing up, most of the time.

Would you take your car to Jiffy Lube?

Go Local!

I agree. I called Dish right after the New Year to upgrade receivers and they told me the "earliest" they could have someone come out would be in Feb.! I said ok, waited two weeks and called back just to confirm. Dish had no record of my appointment! Called the local guy and he was there in two days!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)