Upgrade Owned Equipment?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JWHITE

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Northern VA
I have a HWS, Joey 1.0 and 1000.4 (EA). Also AT120. All the equipment is owned by me. Is it possible to do an upgrade or do I need to re-buy?

Desired config would be Hopper 3, Joey 2.0 and Flex pack. Disk could get swapped to 1000.2 or if the DPH42 is out keep it.

Thanks!
Jay

I have a HWS, Joey 1.0 and 1000.4 (EA). Also AT120. All the equipment is owned by me. Is it possible to do an upgrade or do I need to re-buy?

Desired config would be Hopper 3, Joey 2.0 and Flex pack. Disk could get swapped to 1000.2 or if the DPH42 is out keep it.

Thanks!
Jay
You almost certainly can upgrade through Dish. Cost to do so will depend on your account status. Contact DIRT to see what they can do for you.

You'll be able to "upgrade" if willing to accept leased equipment and a contract. Otherwise purchase new H3 equipment. I don't think any discounted purchase upgrades exist.

If going the purchase route, try and see if DIRT can a least get you a truck roll and Dish update.

Consider Joey4K instead of Joey2 unless Netflix is important to you.

Is it possible to do an upgrade or do I need to re-buy?
I really don't think Dish cares if you own your equipment when it comes to offering you an upgrade deal. They will make you agree to a 2-year lease though and the equipment will never be yours.

Fact is, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, there's no benefit to owning your equipment today.

Absolutely you can upgrade. However, as stated, since the upgrade is subsidized by Dish, it is "leased" equipment, but you are stuck with the owned equipment (at least that is how it was when I upgraded from owned--and I only bought because back then Dish would not subsidize my additional rooms, which they will do today), and you make the 2 year commitment

Today, there is NO financial advantage to "owning" Dish equipment, you pay the same fees every month, but under a different name. The few people who still insist on "owning" their Dish equipment do so on principal because they "don't like being on any contract commitment." The problem is, several people on this forum did the math, and even after a few months AND after adding the ETF (Early Termination Fee) it is STILL CHEAPER to LEASE in most cases, so OWNING costs more money than committing to a 2 year contract and paying ETF if a few months pass. The only rational reason to buy is if you have no other option or want beyond what Dish is willing to subsidize (or perhaps a portable system), and you will have a hard time getting all or close to all your money back (re-selling the owned Dish stuff) on the huge amount you've spent to own because most people qualify for the "FREE" equipment and install, and AFAIK, Dish does NOT do any FREE installs with equipment you've spent a mint buying, so you eat that cost, too. Also, Dish stands behind their installs, not necessarily your DYI install.

But yeah, easy to upgrade from your owned equipment.

Good post, but I would like to point out that (if still accurate) that if you pay for the protection plan, Dish will support your DIY install of owned equipment.

The only problem with Dish or Directv is they make it a hassle getting the latest and greatest with contracts and upgrade fees.

Atleast with the cable companies you walk in their office, get the equipment you want and start leasing it without s contract.

Only dish equipment I would ever buy is a 211. They have good resale value and owning it you can deactivate it at anytime.

Reactions: harshness
I have always bought all my receivers and dishes and switches since I have been with dish . My basement is full of old equipment. But I own everything and dish doesn't own me buy any contract And they do give me a very good discount every month. So I think it's a win for both. Dish doesn't pay for my upgrade and I enjoy doing the upgrades and buying different receivers. I just bought a 922 just because I wanted to try it after all the positive and negative reviews and it was only 99 dollars. I also have a Hws and Joey and many others . The cost of upgrading is built into your bill .

Atleast with the cable companies you walk in their office, get the equipment you want and start leasing it without s contract.
With Time Warner, that's not true. You can ask for a specific model of equipment but don't count on getting it. It depends on the rep, what that location has available, etc.

Reactions: navychop
With Time Warner, that's not true. You can ask for a specific model of equipment but don't count on getting it. It depends on the rep, what that location has available, etc.

I lease "my" H3 and 4K Joey but still own a ViP 722k, a ViP 211l, and a ViP 211. We moved the ViP 722k up to our northern vacation home for use with the Pay-as-you-go service since it's only active the months that we're using the place. I tried using the RV method for a week with the ViP 211k and since it's too far away from our home LiL spot-beams, no ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, or PBS stations were available.

The PAYG plan is tied to the vacation spot's address and so can receive all of the local affiliates. But you need to own the equipment to use the PAYG service.

Absolutely you can upgrade. However, as stated, since the upgrade is subsidized by Dish, it is "leased" equipment, but you are stuck with the owned equipment (at least that is how it was when I upgraded from owned--and I only bought because back then Dish would not subsidize my additional rooms, which they will do today), and you make the 2 year commitment

Today, there is NO financial advantage to "owning" Dish equipment, you pay the same fees every month, but under a different name. The few people who still insist on "owning" their Dish equipment do so on principal because they "don't like being on any contract commitment." The problem is, several people on this forum did the math, and even after a few months AND after adding the ETF (Early Termination Fee) it is STILL CHEAPER to LEASE in most cases, so OWNING costs more money than committing to a 2 year contract and paying ETF if a few months pass. The only rational reason to buy is if you have no other option or want beyond what Dish is willing to subsidize (or perhaps a portable system), and you will have a hard time getting all or close to all your money back (re-selling the owned Dish stuff) on the huge amount you've spent to own because most people qualify for the "FREE" equipment and install, and AFAIK, Dish does NOT do any FREE installs with equipment you've spent a mint buying, so you eat that cost, too. Also, Dish stands behind their installs, not necessarily your DYI install.

But yeah, easy to upgrade from your owned equipment.
The fees are labeled the same whether owned or leased. You are not charged any monthly lease fees.. you are charged active outlet fees.

Reactions: navychop
I have existing account (no contract) I've used for locals with Welcome Pkg because I couldn't get locals on Directv. Anyway I called about upgrading 211k to H3 since dumping Directv and got someone with broken English who wanted $360 for H3 upgrade + $90 service call and this was with a 2 year commitment.
I asked the guy if he was joking? Seriously if I'm doing any commitment it will be free upgrade or nothing at all. My credit score is stellar so why was I getting this offer was offending. If Directv had locals I would of went back in a second or never left in first place actually.

This equipment can be sold I've done it before on ebay so purchased the HWS $230, solo node $13 and did my own install. The only reason I didn't get the H3 was I needed to change LNB and dish is in precarious location on icy roof.
So there are reasons purchasing equipment makes sense.

camo, are you sure you called Dish and not one of the "close but not quite" numbers? If you want to upgrade to the Hopper 3, do it through the DIRT members on SatGuys.

—Roland

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)