Upgrade Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Carroll A

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
Hello everybody I have just a few questions that I am curious about. First let me say I tried to use the search feature, but using a screen reader makes that quite a joy LOL. Anyway here we go... I am considering upgrading to the VIP 722. In doing so am I obligated to upgrade to any of the HD packages that are out there or can I just stick to the package I currently have. I am also looking at the 625 as my other option since I currently do not have HD, but plan on getting a HD set later this year. With my current TV will it down convert any HD shows that are broadcast? I know a lot of these question have been ask, but like I say using a wonderful screen reader makes it a pain!!! Thanks for any help... CC

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that if you get a deal through Dish to get a 722, it is with the understanding that you will be getting at least HD essentials for the term of the contract. If you want to get a 722 without any strings, you have to buy it outright.

The 722 will convert the picture to work with any kind of TV whether HD or SD. For TV 1 you have RF, Composite, S-Video, Component and HDMI output all working simultaneously. For TV 2, you have SD out only via RF, Composite or S-Video.

In all modes TV 1 can output many different frame sizes and shapes to suit most everyone. Anywhere from stretch-o-vision to crop and zoom. In the SD mode you can choose from anamorphic (16x9 pix squeezed into a 4x3 SD picture that a 16x9 TV can stretch back out to a 16x9 frame), letterbox 4x3 or 4x3 full screen cutting off the edges of the picture.

In the single mode TV2 outputs anamorphic. In both single and dual modes TV2 also does letterbox 4x3 or 4x3 full screen cutting off the edges of the picture.

Even with a standard TV the HD channels look a whole lot better than their SD counterparts. (personal note: unless they insist on using stretch-o-vision in order for the morons who don't know how to use their 16x9 sets to stop complaining about the black bars on native 4x3 programs)

See ya
Tony

Tony thank you very much for the quick reply... A lot of the HD stuff is still pretty new to me since I really don't watch TV so to speak... I know my wife will enjoy it though... Unlike me she is fully sighted so she will get more use out of it than I would... Thanks for your help... CC

THe 722 is a HD VIP receiver which requires subbing to a HD package. The HD essentials package is the cheapest at $10 as a add on. If you do not get HD programming Dish charges a HD enabling fee which is up to $7 a month now I think. Dishin it up to a 722 is also a 24 month contract.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)