Upgrade Recommendations?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

billfen

Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
About 7 or 8 years ago I self installed a Dish Network 3000 receiver and a 300 dish at my summer place in northern Maine. I'm planning to upgrade this in the spring (finally). I've done quite a bit of reading on the net, but I know that sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I'd like to avoid any dumb mistakes so I'm looking for some advice.

There are several things I'd like to improve. First, I want to get 110 since I'm missing channels that I want (and that I'm paying for). Next, the rain fade is bad (and really annoying!), perhaps because 119 is at only 18 degrees or so. Third, it takes much too long to get guide and info text. Also, I'm considering getting a second receiver, and I may want to get 61.5 in the future.

There is a clear view, and the signal strength is around 80+ on a good day. The cable run is 100' but I may need to relocate the dishes a bit further away. Since it is about 100 miles to the nearest USA TV station I don't have any local channel considerations.

My current plan is to get a 30" Winegard antenna for 119 (to help with the rain fade) and to use my old 300 dish for 110. At some point in the future I may get another 300 dish for 61.5, but that is a lower priority.

I believe I need to get a more modern receiver. Since I'm not into DVR or HD at this point, it looks to me as if a used 311 (ebay) is a good way to go for now. I'd rather own than lease, since I only turn the service on a few months of the year. A second receiver might be useful in a year or so.

My first question is about the LNBs. Should I switch to Dish Pro, or stick with legacy? And what switches should I get in either case?

The next question is about the cable run. Will it be worth while to redo it with high quality low loss RG-6, like 1694A?

Finally, am I on the right track? It looks to me as if a lot of really experienced people hang out here, and I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Thank you.

Your rain fade may be due to the relatively low signal strength. I'm assuming your 80+ is across the board. The "standard" for reporting signal is to use transponders 11 AND 12. t's important to report both, especially on DishPro systems.

The used 311 (or 301) is a good choice. As always with eBay, make sure the seller is reputable, and willing to give you the R00/S00 numbers so you can verify that the receiver is clear to be put on your account. Also, the new box should clear up your slow guide issues.

Considering the distance, conversion to DishPro is a good idea. The old cable should be replaced with good stuff for sure!

With the possibility of 2 receivers and 3 birds, the first thought that hits me is a DPP-Twin, but that won't work with separate 110 & 119 dishes. Separate dishes and DishPro means DP Single (or Dual) LNBFs, and a DP34 switch.

I do NOT know if there is a DishPro mount available for the 30" Winegard, but maybe the dish just needs to be peaked? What are the neighbors using? That's a good test of what works in that location. Maybe call a local guy in the area. In fact, that might be a good idea for a hardware source - so you have some service available.

Thanks for the reply Simon, I appreciate it.

The Winegard DS-2077 comes with a "D" tube, and that is what I've ordered. Will the DishPro single or dual (not twin) LNBs attach directly to that, or do I need some kind of adapter or something? I hadn't thought of that.

Probably the 18" dish should be peaked again, although it has been solidly mounted on a bolder by the lake shore since I installed it. I don't think the signal strength has changed much over the years. At the time, I ran a long extension and coax back from the receiver to a little TV at the dish to peak it. I appreciate the tip about which transponders to use.

What neighbors? :) Actually most people in the area use 18" dishes an put up with the rain fade. The nearest installer is about 40 miles away and I generally prefer DIY when possible (being one of those independent yankee Mainers).

From what I understand, compression F-connectors are the way to go rather than hex crimps. I'm planning on the blue T&B Snap-N-Seals with the Belden 1694A. I'll get the inexpensive Zenith tool. A professional tool would be much nicer, of course, but considering how few cables I need to make it wouldn't be cost effective. Perhaps I can make a deal with an installer to put the ends on for me - shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes at his shop. Any comments about the F-connectors?

Thanks again.

Only 40 miles? That's not bad.

Anyway, "D"-tube is exactly what you need.

Snap-n-Seal is very popular. I use Gilbert or Sterling myself. Only problem with having the ends pre-installed is that you'd have to make a larger than needed hole in the wall.

I've never used (or paid for) Belden coax. We use Laser (RS&I house brand). Just make sure it's rated for at least 2150MHz.

P.S. Ralfyguy: What is your post about? Does it belong in another thread? It'd be a good idea to delete it from this thread, as it seems unrelated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts