Upgrade the 811

rixter67

Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
Hey folks, I currently have the 811 and I am considering an upgrade to one of the new HD packages. I use component now as my Sony LCD only has 1 DVI input and that is taken up with the DVD player.

My question is: is the 211 worth upgrading over the 811? I know that you can get locals in HD, but mine are pretty good with the Silver Sensor I use now.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Thanks

The 211 is all the 811 is/was, with some exceptions:

1) No backpanel inputs for your DVD or video game-, so all your other video will need to connect directly to the TV.

2) The 211 uses HDMI and component, not DVI. I had to get an adaptor for my DVI TV.

3) A lot of calls don't display the ID on the 211, but they do display on the 811.

That being said, with the metal package you do get more HD (Gold and above get the most).

If Dish provides your locals in HD, that's fine. But they're only providing the big 4 networks, not PBS-HD or any independents. My 211 works very well with an indoor Silver Sensor for OTA, and I'm about 15 miles from the towers.

A couple more items from a 211/411 and 811 owner...

The guide in the 211 is much better than the 811.

I have not seen the 'no info' bug with the 211/411 and still see it occasionally with the 811.

On 2 occasions (over 6 months) my 211/411's screen has gone blank with audio still present. In my case this occured when going back and forth between satellite channels and OTA channels. Other 211/411 owners have reported this as well. The fix is to reboot the 211. E* of course says a fix is in the works (but when?).

The 211 has a ethernet port and USB port (the 411 a USB port only). The 811 does not have either. Currently these ports are not in use as far as I know.

As more MPEG4 (or MPEG2 with the MPEG4 flag) is released there will be more and more available on the 211/411 that is not on the 811 (such as ESPN2 HD, and Nat'l Geographic HD, and all digital locals).

The one thing I really preferred about the 811 was the remote... it did IR and UHF. The remote that comes with the 211 is IR only.

Finally the 211/411 is about half the height of a 811.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)