Upgrade to HD in RV - how to configure?

Longgone

Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
Boise, ID
I have a 7 year old motorhome with a crank-up single LNB Winegard dish, and 2 TV's (one up front and the other in the bedroom)
In the past I brought my 301 receiver from home & locked on 119 (when no trees were in the way). Both TV's were old tube bricks, so no worries about HD.
Just replaced the front TV with new HD, and want to replace the old 301 with a 211 (HD), which will also help at home with a new HD TV in MBR.

Currently, the output from the 301 goes via coax to a distribution box (so each TV can select input from Sat/OTA/DVD/VCR). Also, the "batwing" OTA antenna gets power boost (12v) from distribution box.

I have a couple of questions on how to configure.
1) I'm guessing that I'll want to run HDMI cable from 211 directly to HD TV, and still run coax to distribution box for bedroom TV.
2) Can I even get HD with my current single LNB dish? I realize I can get only 1 satellite at a time, but can I point to 129 and receive HD programs with this set-up? Then re-point to 119 or 110 to watch something not in HD.
3) What will the rear TV see when we're pointed to 129? I'm guessing it will still be able to get the HD programs, but they'll be sized wrong for that TV (16x9 vs 4x3).

I realize there are other options with upgraded dishes, but I don't think I'm going to keep this motorhome much longer and don't want to put any money in it.

Thanks.
Pat

I replaced the LNB on my winegard auto dish with a dish pro LNB and have no problems receiving the 110, 119 or 129 sat, one at a time. I use a 211 with HDMI to the LCD in front and coax for the selector box. HD to the bedroom via coax is then 4-3 with borders top and bottom, but very viewable. If we are staying more than a few days I will set up my 500 dish pro plus on tripod with a second dish 300 pro plus on second tripod for 129 and hooked into the 500, giving me all three sats on one cable to the 211. Its nice to have the dish's on tripods for tree blocking LOS issues with the motor home mounted dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)