Upgrade worth it?

Nabber

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 30, 2008
Hi all,

I am considering upgrading from one 722, two 612's and an SD box to the new Hopper/Joey setup. I am looking at two Hoppers and two Joeys to replace the above units. Any thoughts? I am just concerned I am missing something important and my wife will wonder what the heck I was thinking! Admittedly, not an uncommon thing. Thanks!

I upgraded from a 922 a 622 and a 722. I went to 2 Hoppers and 3 joeys. My monthly bill droped about 4 dollars and I now have HD to the televisions I used to have mirrored. So far it's working out well for me.

Go for it. You'd be going from 5 tv's to 4 with the setup you mentioned so just be aware of that. If the 722 was running in single mode you'd be even I guess. 2 hoppers is definitely the way to go imo.

I upgraded from a 922 and 211 to two Hoppers and two Joeys. After I dropped Blockbuster by bill only went up $4. Now I have 6 tuners and every TV is in HD. I love my setup now.

Thanks all! Do these new units require additional wiring or do they use the existing cable single cable to each unit that exists now?

You need a cable to every location from the node. If you plan to mirror off of anything you will need to cables to it. Be cautious about the distance of the remotes though.

Value / worth is a personal thing.

For me? It's worth it, and I enjoy having the shared content. The other nice thing is I have one Hopper capturing PTAT, the other not so I have 5 tuners + PTAT during those hours. Very nice indeed! Another thing I like is that the Joey's are very unobtrusive, and can be placed out of sight / out of mind if desired which many find appealing.

It is not perfect, and you'll have to live with the evolving software. Just the sharing makes it worth the price of admission to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts