Upgrade

cah1975

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Has anyone tried to get a free upgrade on their receiver since Feb 1st? I tried and they were unwilling to waive the $100 fee even after I threatened to cancel my subscription next month when my contract is up. Is there an email address I can write to that will be more understanding about waiving this fee? They said that they were offering a free upgrade and it expired Jan 31

Most of us have paid via Dish It Up for newer equipment. And you certainly would have to re-up for two years if they did. You got your free equipment when you first signed.

Yep. I got a reduced charge when I upgraded, but still had to pay something. Both from a failed (HDMI conn) ViP622 and when I was forced to send in my owned 721. Both were to ViP722s. I suspect everyone today will pay, with few if any reductions.

It's still a deal. Be happy. It'll take them about 2 years to recover their investment in you, and a bit more after an upgrade, but both you & Dish can be happy. Those ViP DVRs can't be beat.

I am super pleased with my ViP722 DVRs

Why can they offer free upgrades to new customers and not to existing long time customers like myself who are willing to sign another 2 year commit?

With all due respect, I don't buy it that Dish has to "recover their investment" in me by giving me the equipment I want so I can continue to pay them $60 plus dollars every month for the next two years. I did the math and in the 8 years I've been a subscriber I've paid Dish $5000 and in that time have only had two receivers. I'd say they're doing pretty well by me.

With all due respect, I don't buy it that Dish has to "recover their investment" in me by giving me the equipment I want so I can continue to pay them $60 plus dollars every month for the next two years. I did the math and in the 8 years I've been a subscriber I've paid Dish $5000 and in that time have only had two receivers. I'd say they're doing pretty well by me.

Then say you want to cancel and get sent to retention when your contract is up, if they don't give it to you for free go through with it and actually cancel, if you really like dish, wait 6 months and sign up again and get everything free plus new customer perks, just get cable in between. Correct me if I am wrong but i remember seeing in the fine print all the offers are for new customers or if you have been away from dish for 6 months or more. Not sure what you are looking for, but by then you might be able to get a 922 for free.

In all due respect, you are a GIMME little cheap sh** that Dish does not need. I hope they send you elsewhere. They ( or any service company) can not afford such as you.

Last edited:
Dish made it clear to us retailers that they were no longer going to undercut us. That when a customer calls us and gets the price we have to give, And then calls Dish the price is going to be the same.. Which means the free ride of giving Free upgrades is over.. I applaud Dish for the help it gives us retailers.. Not thrilled with the new upgrade pricing though.. The Jury is still out on whether Dish is actually going to live up to this promise to not undercut us.. They don't have a good track record on this point.

In all due respect, you are a GIMME little cheap sh** that Dish does not need. I hope they send you elsewhere. They ( or any service company) can not afford such as you.

Are you kidding, he has been a loyal customer for 8 years and had two receivers that whole time. Frankly, I would never pay $100 or whatever they charge for upgrades, thats the sh*t part of it, having to pay an upfront fee and still pay monthly fess on top, plus having to pay to get it replaced if anything happens to it when they make it clear you don't own the receivers, and can never own them, the $100 is not a down payment, its their property, but you're on the hook if anything goes wrong unless you pay an extra fee for service plan. They are the ones who structured their business this way where loyalty means nothing, they are out for themselves and the consumer has to be out for them self as well.

:up :up :up :up :up:up :up :up :up

You should wait until your contract has expired and then get your best deal from the cable company. Then is the time to call them up. And don't threaten to leave Dish unless you are prepared to do so.

Are you kidding, he has been a loyal customer for 8 years and had two receivers that whole time. Frankly, I would never pay $100 or whatever they charge for upgrades, thats the sh*t part of it, having to pay an upfront fee and still pay monthly fess on top, plus having to pay to get it replaced if anything happens to it when they make it clear you don't own the receivers, and can never own them, the $100 is not a down payment, its their property, but you're on the hook if anything goes wrong unless you pay an extra fee for service plan. They are the ones who structured their business this way where loyalty means nothing, they are out for themselves and the consumer has to be out for them self as well.
Welcome to the real world. :rolleyes:

I tried upgrading the other day and they wanted me to pay a couple hundred dollars. I have been with Dish for over 12 years and I still have my three original receivers (4900/4900/3700) which I bought myself and installed. They have never given me one thing for free and I have never been late with any payments. I told them once my NHL package is up in the spring I will be leaving for Direct. I like Dish but not when they treat what they call their "top customers" like this.

I tried upgrading the other day and they wanted me to pay a couple hundred dollars. I have been with Dish for over 12 years and I still have my three original receivers (4900/4900/3700) which I bought myself and installed. They have never given me one thing for free and I have never been late with any payments. I told them once my NHL package is up in the spring I will be leaving for Direct. I like Dish but not when they treat what they call their "top customers" like this.

I guess KAB would say dish can't survive with customers like you who ask for an upgrade once a decade. You are just asking for too much.:confused:

This KAB guy is a real piece of work that obviously knows zilch about good business practices. What business charges their customers for equipment that they don't own and then also charges them fees on top of that every month to use that very equipment. Most importantly too is the fact that I'm willing to sign ANOTHER two year contract. I'm doing that for DISH's benefit (and mine). They are locking a long time customer up for another two years....they owe it to me to do ONE decent thing like a free upgrade as their end of the bargain. When they fail to do this they will lose me as a customer. How the hell is that good for DISH?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)