Upgraded to one Hopper3, Now I need an EHD recommendation.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Thanks all for your replies....
I asked because after a recent power outage our Seagate EHD did not show up in the DVR sources. We lost hundreds of programs...
Ugh. That's a drag. After going through the effort to preserve these off the Hopper, only to have them disappear.

Thanks all for your replies....
I asked because after a recent power outage our Seagate EHD did not show up in the DVR sources. We lost hundreds of programs.

It sounds like the heads are not un-parking. So this is probably a hardware issue and not due to a Dish/Hopper problem. But it made me think — Why keep an EHD running if we aren’t either transferring programs to it or playing programs from it? After I install the next EHD we will keep it powered down unless we are actually using it.
This is one reason that I try to avoid large EHDs, if you suffer a catastrophy you loose everything.

I try to use 250GB drives but they are getting more scarce all the time.

Use hardware RAID 1 arrays. I have three (plus a few singles). If really "cautious" buy 1 or 2 extra HDDs, for when there's a failure. And turn the darned things OFF when not in use. I go weeks, for some, months, without accessing certain EHDs.

I am slowly trying to organize my EHDs. Movies on this one, British stuff on another (one day). My goal is to retire and write a Mint Linux program to print a list of what's on the drive. I dearly wish Dish would allow naming EHDs. Should be simple.

Reactions: toddjb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)