upgrading dish 311 to hd

floridastatenolefan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Florida
I would like to change out one of my stand alone 311 non HD receivers for a stand alone HD receiver (I have a HD dish with an open port). Do I have to buy the new HD receiver from DISH or can I buy it elsewhere on line? I'm assuming it must have some kind of activation from dish linking it to my account?

Which HD stand alone receiver would you recommend also.

Thanks

Don't know what you mean by "stand alone", but the 411/211/211k/211z should fit the bill. You can upgrade through Dish, or buy your own. Regardless, the new receiver would need to be activated, and the old one deactivated. Note that you won't get HD channels (other than locals), even if you are receiving the right satellites, without HD on your account.

You can lease for free with 24 commitment with dish if your account is in good standing or purchase equipment $99, install fees and monthly activation apply

You should contact a DIRT member here for the best answer for your situation. (They are Dish CSR's on this site - in red under users online http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum.php)

There are a variety of variables that determine how you can upgrade and the cost. If you are long time subscriber and have a sufficient package maybe a premium or two and pay on time, it isn't impossible they will upgrade you for no more than an installation cost (If there is any installation), with no commitment, and they will supply the receiver. Or they may want a two year commitment. You can buy a receiver yourself, and install it then register it with DISH.

To get HD you need the ability added to your account even if you already see the correct satellites. It can cost $10 a month, but if you agree to auto pay and paperless billing it is free. I also am not sure what is meant by stand alone unless you mean not a Hopper system. But a VIP 612 is also a possibility.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)