upgrading dish in prep for hd

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rainfade

Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
hello, 9 and 3/4 years ago I installed all my directv equipment (I had to pay for everything, there was no such thing as free multiroom installation), which included sony dual lnb dish, 2 in 4 out powered multiswitch. The two cables run from the dish to the multiswitch with direct runs to 3 receivers, the tv with the tivo receiver has two cables connected for the additional tivo options. Since the install everything has worked perfectly. I had all sony equipment, of the 3 original receivers I have upgraded one receiver to a non hd tivo receiver. and another receiver is an HD receiver but it is connected to a regular TV.(gasp)

Anyway eventually I will get an HD TV and I will need to upgrade my dish. I just have some questions on what I will need to do to upgrade, especially regarding the wiring. It is my understanding that I would need a 5 LNB dish. I have seen one for sale and the description states that the dish has a built in 4-way multiswitch.

1. Basically how many cables will have to run from the dish to the inside of my house?

2. since the dish has a multiswitch does this mean that each cable from the dish will have to be a direct run to each receiver? if yes I cannot do this without re-wiring and I will not do that again. Logistically that is out of the question.

3. can I run the cables from the dish to a bigger multiswitch? if yes does the multiswitch need to be powered. my old multiswitch is powered, when I first did the install a passive multiswitch did not work well so if it is better to use a powered multiswitch that is no problem.

4. believe it or not I grounded the dish and cable when I did the install, the two cables run from the dish to a grounding block that have two long copper wires connected which run to a water pipe that runs into the concrete wall of the house. the two cables that are connected to the grounding block run into the house. anyway I live is S Fla where there is lots of lightening so, back then this was a concern. I have seen professional installs and no one seems to ground anything anymore, is this still a concern?

5. the two cables from the dish actually run as follows: dish-->grounding block-->inside the house to a paanamx dbs surge protector with modules designed for protecting Sat cables-->2 in 4 out powered multiswitch-->receivers. how would this configuration need to be changed requiring the least amount of re-wiring.

I am in no rush to get HD, I still feel the TVs are overpriced and I think that after next Feb, prices may drop plus I am waiting for a technology that addresses all the initial complaints about HD quality. ( I am also waiting for my old Mits TV to break):) I just want to know if you think that in the very near future will cables from the dish be consolidated, are there some improvements coming in the near future that will not require so many cables run into the house? I mean I can wait until next year if there are exciting improvements coming.

any information is appreciated.

Regards,
rainfade

PS-please do not suggest that I let Directv do the upgrade, I have never seen an install done better than mine, I know they are not going to use silicone filled connectors outside plus rubber boots to protect against rain. they will not do the little things that mean a lot, like connect the cables to the wall and not let them just hang there, dangling from the outside of the house.

hello, 9 and 3/4 years ago I installed all my directv equipment (I had to pay for everything, there was no such thing as free multiroom installation), which included sony dual lnb dish, 2 in 4 out powered multiswitch. The two cables run from the dish to the multiswitch with direct runs to 3 receivers, the tv with the tivo receiver has two cables connected for the additional tivo options. Since the install everything has worked perfectly. I had all sony equipment, of the 3 original receivers I have upgraded one receiver to a non hd tivo receiver. and another receiver is an HD receiver but it is connected to a regular TV.(gasp)

Anyway eventually I will get an HD TV and I will need to upgrade my dish. I just have some questions on what I will need to do to upgrade, especially regarding the wiring. It is my understanding that I would need a 5 LNB dish. I have seen one for sale and the description states that the dish has a built in 4-way multiswitch.

1. Basically how many cables will have to run from the dish to the inside of my house? .

4 cables run from the dish/lnb to your distribution center.

2. since the dish has a multiswitch does this mean that each cable from the dish will have to be a direct run to each receiver? if yes I cannot do this without re-wiring and I will not do that again. Logistically that is out of the question.

No, there are many options available to you to circumvent this problem. You can inquire about the SWM-Slimline dish which runs only one cable into your house followed by a series of switches/splitters into one cable into each room. Another option, since the single SWM-slimline is hard to come by is to use the standard Slimline 5lnb (4 cables into your house) & connect it to a SWM8 Mulitswitch
DirecTV SWM 8 Multiswitch Frequently Asked Questions

3. can I run the cables from the dish to a bigger multiswitch? if yes does the multiswitch need to be powered. my old multiswitch is powered, when I first did the install a passive multiswitch did not work well so if it is better to use a powered multiswitch that is no problem.

The above powered SWM8 would replace your old switch & provide you with 8 tuner capacity for the newer SWM capable receivers as well as three ports for your older legacy receivers. It also provides for diplexing your OTA antenna into the single cable if you like to have OTA reception also.

4. believe it or not I grounded the dish and cable when I did the install, the two cables run from the dish to a grounding block that have two long copper wires connected which run to a water pipe that runs into the concrete wall of the house. the two cables that are connected to the grounding block run into the house. anyway I live is S Fla where there is lots of lightening so, back then this was a concern. I have seen professional installs and no one seems to ground anything anymore, is this still a concern?.

I sense the lack of concern too, but ground your new dish since you have all the cables for grounding already run.

5. the two cables from the dish actually run as follows: dish-->grounding block-->inside the house to a paanamx dbs surge protector with modules designed for protecting Sat cables-->2 in 4 out powered multiswitch-->receivers. how would this configuration need to be changed requiring the least amount of re-wiring.

My older AT9 sidecar had something similar in that it grounded all four cables into a block before proceeding into my attic. The new slimline (though mine didn't have this, offer a similar block along with grounding the dish itself.

I am in no rush to get HD, I still feel the TVs are overpriced and I think that after next Feb, prices may drop plus I am waiting for a technology that addresses all the initial complaints about HD quality. ( I am also waiting for my old Mits TV to break):) I just want to know if you think that in the very near future will cables from the dish be consolidated, are there some improvements coming in the near future that will not require so many cables run into the house? I mean I can wait until next year if there are exciting improvements coming.

All of the above units are new & what is available for new installs.

SWM Slimline Dish
5lnb slimline with SWM8 multiswitch (my favorite)
A new 3lnb Slimline for markets with need of only 99, 101 & 103
The trick in what you will be getting for free is how many new receivers you will be running & how many require 2-tuner setups (thus two cables). If you prefer to do it yourself, simply have them install the 5lnb dish & run the 4 cables to your central 'utility closet' & you can take over from there.

PS-please do not suggest that I let Directv do the upgrade, I have never seen an install done better than mine, I know they are not going to use silicone filled connectors outside plus rubber boots to protect against rain. they will not do the little things that mean a lot, like connect the cables to the wall and not let them just hang there, dangling from the outside of the house.

I don't think D will let you do this work by yourself anymore & the freebies they would giving you would more than make up for any of their on-site work. While some tech's don't like you hovering over them you as the customer have the right to supervise the install. This is mainly how I learned to do any tweaking modifications to my dish when they become misaligned or there are problems. I also am pleasantly surprised when a great tech comes out & sees that I have a very clean install. I make it a point to always negotiate some type of monetary imbursement in advance for the tech helping me doing it the correct way.

As far as the physical mounting of the new/heavier/wider dish my installer did give some leeway with leaving me various mounts to have a contractor make a custom chimney mount for the newer 2 inch mount. He even left a non penetrating roof mount so I could receive my programming in the interim. Once you find a good tech in your area (& throw some salary his/her way) they are more than happy to work with your concerns. When you find a good one, get his cell number to avoid the middleman in the future.

Thank you for all the information.

I am not concerned about mounting the dish, I live in a two story townhouse made of concrete block. I used 4 3" blue tapcoms to install my old dish, after mounting I was literally able to hang from the post of the dish with no problem. The mounting bracket held me up. I think am heavier that 50 lbs.<g>

How could Directv prevent me from doing the install? Respectfully, as the consumer who is paying Directv $1400 a year, having been a customer for 10 years, I have paid them probably over 12 grand. I don't thing I should have to pay a tech extra for installing equipment the correct way, they should install it the correct way all the time, I mean, isn't that their job?

thanks again for all the ideas.
rainfade

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)