upgrading from 322 receiver to Duo DVR?

redbandit98

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Fort Smith AR
Hello everyone. Im sorry in advance if this question is stupid to most of you guys. If I could have got a straight answer from the guys at the retail showroom I would not have had to register and ask.They gave me a hesitant "yes", which to me means they really had no clue. I am wanting to upgrade my current dual tuner receiver to a DVR duo receiver. I do not need HD as I have no HD tvs. My service is through att and I have a package deal I got years ago. They no longer offer this and I dont want to change it as I would have to go with the UVERSE which I am not interested in. I cant simply just go in and upgrade my dish account without redoing the whole shebang. I was "told" I could just buy a DVR receiver and then call ATT and have them add the 7 dollar charge for the DVR service. My question is if I buy the receiver, can I just use my card thats in my current reciever? Im just wondering If I do buy the receiver, will I have to reactivate it and all that jazz or can I just simply swap cards, call dish or ATT and have them add the 7 dollar a month charge? They want 200 bucks for the duo DVR and I think I can find it cheaper. By the way I am using a superdish. I know there are probably several variants of it but It was probably one of the first models. I remember when they put it in it had three LNB's and it wasnt about 2 weeks later the guy came and unhooked one and said they werent using it anymore. Thanks for any help
matt

Where did you get your Dish from originally? If you got it from Dish directly or ATT I would call them to have the upgrade done. The retailer can't do anything other than sell a receiver outright to you then. Either way, doing a Dish 'N It Up is the cheapest solution.

Having your Dish account bundled with a phone company is always a pain, especially when it comes to upgrades.

You cannot move a card from 1 box to another.

The superdish isn't. It had a short lifetime. You need to be on WA 110/119/129 or EA 61.5/72.7/77. Regardless if you are into HD or not. Calling Dish might get you a new deal where they bring a box and swap out the dish and you can cancel & turn in the old box. Simplest way and probably no more expensive. Little or no sense in owning equipment anymore. Regardless Dish will need to activate the new box.

I'm not sure AT&T will/can do any upgrades or changes anymore. They switched to DirecTV.

The $200 is likely the up front lease charge, not the sale price of the unit.

pabeader said:
can't he just add an ext-HDD to his receiver?

Depends upon the model. I gather he does not have a ViP211. Earlier, non-DVR models do not and will not support EHDs. Also, it is very unlikely that the ViP222 will ever support EHDs.

I got it through ATT. I did not know ATT switched to Direct TV. Here in town the only retail shop has DISH stickers right next to the ATT stickers. I have seriously considered just getting out of the package deal. Im under no contract right now and I think it would be better to just drop the whole deal get a seprate dish account. I dont "think" I can get the 12 months reduced price since Im technically a dish customer through ATT. I just thought If I could find a cheap receiver and swap the cards out it would be a pretty painless switch over. Since you guys have cleared it up that I cant do that, I will probably just bail on the whole deal. It seems that Dish is a tad cheaper for what I need (just two standard tvs with one DVR), plus I just sank a 8ft galv 2 1/4 water pipe in the ground with 2 bags of concrete. I think DIRECT TV uses another size pole mount. (2" maybe?) The installer will be happy that I have already sunk him a perfectly plumb and sturdy mount. Guess Ill see what I can come up with for another phone account and DSL. I just might wait a while to do that though. I have a VERY good reason for wanting to keep my current setup. Lets just say there was an error on someones part and I have benefitted from it. I would be afraid to mention it on a public satellite forum. Its not illegal or anything, but someone dropped the ball and its never been noticed. thanks for your input
matt

Last edited:
If you want Dish's SD Duo DVR that's the 625(That's what I have).You have to be pointed at 119/110/129(Western Arc) because it's MPEG2 only..You can find them pretty cheap on EBay(always check the receiver ID# with Dish before purchase).Good Luck!.:)

well, I went and talked to them. Since was a cust through ATT I could not even do an upgrade without going through ATT. I did not want to go through ATT so I just to hell with it and went with direct TV. Oh well, sorry to bother you guys. I am now prepping for the install of the direct tv. I posted a question in that forum in regards to how many coax I need to run. I appreciate all your responses and help on my original question.:up thanks
Matt