Upgrading from entry-level to the next level--suggestions?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

penguinsix

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Hi,

I've been playing with my system for about a year now and am considering an upgrade of sorts to something that will be a) more reliable and b) greater reception.

Right now I have a:

Pansat 3500sd
A 1meter dish
A HH90 motor
Some cheap LNB (2 of them due to a shipping error actually).

My HH90 is on the fritz--changes channels successfully about 30% of the time, then goes to 'Reference Position' and then (sometimes) goes back to where it should be, then hunt and pecks once it gets a feed. I'm a tad annoyed with it and want to replace it.

But then I thought about this set up. A new 120cm dish with a ?? motor (?) and then using my existing 1 meter dish as a fixed dish pointed toward G3 or IA5 (where the bulk of the stuff we watch is located). The Pansat seems to be working fine (though the wife, who specifically forbade me from ordering a TIVO like receiver when we bought this, is now yelling at me all the time "why can't you rewind?").

I figured this might be better than just swapping out the motor, but was wondering what people would consider to be the 'next step' in this hobby?

Iwould say adding PC DVB card/receiver would 'kick it up a notch' HD FTA is SWEET! Not forgetting the 4:2:2 broadcasts!

Sure there will be an IF or LNB OUT, then you can simply run a length of coax from the pansat to the (I use the DVB World USB receiver) PC DVB card/receiver LNB IN.

The Pansat is the master and the PC DVB card/receiver would be the slave.

So say you motor to IA-6 for example if you are on a H TP. so will the PC DVB card/receiver. This is the way I have mine setup!

The nice thing about the DVB World box is it simply plugs into any USB port! True Plug and play.

The main thing is that your PC is up to the specification for the card. Most newer PC's will already be compatible as the DVB World USB receiver is software driven, FLAWLESS HD and 4:2:2 :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)