Upgrading from standard to HD programing

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mtbscooter

Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
:hatsoff: New to these forums, and need some advice.
I am in the process of getting into HD service with DTV. I have had DTV for 10 years, and am looking for advice as to the best way to get the most out of them when moving to HD programming, or if there is a better provider out there. Thanks in advance for the advice!

First, Welcome to Satelliteguys. Well if your going to stick with D* then my advice would be to bite the big bullet and get the HD DVR. Once you go DVR you will never go back. My dad for years said he would have a need for one and now he can't live without it.

Be sure to call them and tell them you'd like to get into the HD DVR, but the price is a little too steep. If they consider you a good customer, you'll get all kinds of bill credits and free programming.

If you don't want a DVR, they'll probably send you an HD receiver free. They cost only $99 from Wal-Mart or the big box retailers.

As far as a better provider is concerned, E* has more HD channels now, but I suppose you saw the announcement that D* made at the Consumer Electronics Show. If that comes to pass, it will put D* in the lead for HD (which is their plan.)

182, How long does it take to NOT become a new customer to them and whatnot....

I am 2 months in and still get told I am "new"

Just curious...I figure I may have more bargaining power with them not being new

That's probably true now about the bargaining power, but I got the HR20 in September for about $39 when I had only been a customer for two months. I don't think offers like that are so easy to get now.

The rule-of-thumb is a six month wait between special offers. I'd like to have a second HR20, and some folks get a special offer on them when they sign in at the D* website, but all I ever see is $299. I'm hoping for a better deal when my six months are up.

:hatsoff: New to these forums, and need some advice.
I am in the process of getting into HD service with DTV. I have had DTV for 10 years, and am looking for advice as to the best way to get the most out of them when moving to HD programming, or if there is a better provider out there. Thanks in advance for the advice!

I am also a ten-year subscriber to D*. When I decided to take the HD plunge, I called up D*, and asked to speak to customer retention. I didn't threaten to leave, or tell them I was unhappy with my service (because I'm not). I went to customer retention because they have the ability to provide the best deals.

I simply told them I would like a HD DVR, but thought $299 was too steep for me. The lady I spoke to was very nice and helpful. In the end, the DVR cost me $299 but came with $250 of credits. :D Shipping & handling was another $19.95. I figured for $68.95, I would make the leap.

First four months of HD programming is free. After that it will be $9.99 a month. The HD pickings might be slim at the moment, but that will change around mid-year.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)