Upgrading questions

mtsmylie

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Twin Falls, ID
So I just got amazing Toshiba 46" DLP for Father's Day, and am considering upgrading from the 522 in our living room to the VIP622. It's the only TV in our house, so I definitely want the dual tuner action.

I'm not really interested in the HD programming (except for HBO HD), but I'm assuming that to qualify for the 622 upgrade, I need to get at least their cheapest HD package, yes? And can I pay for HBO HD separately, or is that only available from a larger package?

I'm also assuming/hoping there will be a pretty nice bump up in picture quality from now (522 into my TV using composite cables) to the upgrade using either the one HDMI input or component. Can't be any worse, right?

I think you'll find that they will only activate it with HD programming. The cheapest standard pricing for HD plus SD is HD Bronze at 49.99/mo. or 54.99 with locals. It does NOT include HBO HD, but if you then also sub. to HBO ($14/mo. more?) you will get all the SD HBO programming plus the single HD HBO channel. Right now there are a LOT of incentives, e.g., I believe you can get HD Bronze for a 10 month promotional period at just $39.99 per mo. as an existing customer, plus there are equipment upgrade incentives.

I think you'll find yourself watching a LOT of HD programming (well, OK - "HD-Lite" in many cases!) just due to the "wow" factor, so don't sell yourself short on the possibilities. The PQ difference will be substantial...!

Thanks for the info, bhelms!

With us having Top 120 right now, it looks like we'd want the HD Silver for the similar programming, plus the HD stuff. I think the PQ using the composite cables on our DLP is bad enough that it won't be too hard to convince the wife to upgrade.

Sirius music channels are still available on HD Silver, right? The wife loves listening to them on our 522, and that would be a breaking point.

So as I undertand it, it's about a $20 difference per month going from a 522 with Top 120 to a 622 with HD Silver, plus there's a one-time $199 charge. As a current customer, would I qualify for the $10 for 10 months money back thing, or is that only for new customers? If I'd get $100 back, that's not *too* bad a deal right there.

I've got a list of all the channels that come with HD Silver, but have no idea what most of them are. GOing to have to look into it to see what I can use to convince the wife!

mtsmylie said:
Sirius music channels are still available on HD Silver, right? The wife loves listening to them on our 522, and that would be a breaking point.

So as I undertand it, it's about a $20 difference per month going from a 522 with Top 120 to a 622 with HD Silver, plus there's a one-time $199 charge.

Yes you will still get Sirius. Also, in your figuring, remember that there's also an additional $5/mo lease fee tacked on for the 622.

Actually, the lease fee for the 622 is $6 per month. And of course, you have the DVR fee at $5.98 per month. And there is also the optional Digital Home Protection Plan (aka warranty) for another $5.99 per month.... on and on.

Reminds me of the cable companies - who, If they ever get their act together with digital and HD and Internet, along with FIOS, we might have competition someday!

Don't pay for the DHPP. It is a huge waste of money. If you need it, then buy it afterwards.

I've got the DHPP. but will be cancelling it the same time I get the 622.

From what I've read, I can usually start it back up on the same call to report a problem.

Another question ...

Right now I have two dishes running, one for the major satellite stuff, and the other (I assume) for the locals.

Will the 622 use the same dishes, or will those be taken down, and new ones put up?

The cost of the upgrade to the 622 will cover all dishes/switches necessary. No extra charge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts