622 hdmi adapter?

StanUbankit

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
Baytown TX
Hello all, I have a dvi input on my 34" (E* branded RCA crt) hooked up to a dvi cable on a 921. Have a scheduled install of a 622 for 7/5,
let me see if I have this correct. Will I need a female dvi to male hdmi adapter for my dvi cable? (The one end of the current cable stays in the tv, the other male end of the dvi cable will plug into the female part of the adapter and the male part of the adapter plugs into the 622?) I'd like to have it on hand just in case the installer doesn't have one. I've seen the items that *are supposed to be included* with the 622 but after seeing lots of posts that they weren't I figured better to be prepared.....And yes, I'll order thru monoprice.com, the only thing monster about Monster cables seems to be the price:D (I realize also that I'll still need to run a separate cable for the audio, but just trying to get the right adapter)
Thanks.

This will work, but in my experience you are better served with a DVI/HDMI cable.

These need not be very expensive, as places like monoprice.com sell quality DVI and HDMI cabling at reasonable prices.

Best,

Sounds good, I noticed the price is about the same for the hdmi/dvi cable as it was for the hdmi adapter, I'll go that route (at monoprice)

I agree with John K but perhaps for a different reason (his wasn't stated). The weight and leverage of that DVI/HDMI adapter is significant and presents an avoidable risk to what a number of us consider the rather fragile HDMI socket on the 622. (We believe that some of the "no HDMI" problems reported could be due to stress/motion on that socket leading to a broken connection on the PCB.) The cable with just the HDMI plug will be a lot less prone to that problem, if it's indeed real, but you should still "protect" that plug/socket anyway - no significant force on it or unnecessary motion is best for long-term reliability. (Check the other threads for more insight.)

I suggest you also equip yourself with a reasonable set of component cables (assuming your TV has the component inputs) as a back-up in case the HDMI port is DOA or goes bad in a short time, as many including myself have experienced. That way you'll at least be able to watch HD until the problem (if it occurs) is resolved. Many report little difference in the PQ comparing HDMI to component inputs, YMMV...

bhelms:

Every HDMI/DVI adapter I have used has introduced "sparklies" into the picture.

Sparklies are random bits of color throughout the picture. This was very evident in fades to black and other low APL scenes.

Cheers,

Good feedback. I think I remember you mentioned that in another thread. Do you care to venture a guess as to why?

BRgds...

As my HDMI-DVI adapter is mounted on the TV's socket the weight is not on the cable. Two HDMI 6' cables (one for a DVD+R when I get a 2 HDMI input TV), the adapter, and shipping was about $21--try to get all you might need in one purchase to save on shipping.

Too bad the adapter cannot bring out the audio so you would not need longer/separate cords for that. Is the HDMI audio digital? Stereo or DD5.1?

-Ken

I use an adapter on my 942 and it works perfectly. No problems with picture or anything else.

I'm still using the HDMI-DVI adapter that came with my 942, and never noticed any PQ issues...maybe I just got a good one! No problems yet with it on the 622 (knocking on wood)

bhelms said:
Good feedback. I think I remember you mentioned that in another thread. Do you care to venture a guess as to why?

BRgds...

A poor interface between the adapter and the cables.

Also, when you are running a front projection system and the larger screen that comes with it, these problems are obvious and they might not be so obvious when we're talking about smaller screens.

Cheers,

DWS44 said:
I'm still using the HDMI-DVI adapter that came with my 942, and never noticed any PQ issues...maybe I just got a good one! No problems yet with it on the 622 (knocking on wood)

Maybe you need a man sized TV instead of a girly man sized TV :p

Just pulling your leg.

Cheers,

No problems with my 50" Hitachi either. However, I must admit, the main reason I used an adaptor is because I spent so much on my old cable I didn't have the heart to toss it. :rolleyes: The only thing I don't like about the adaptor is that it takes up a lot of room between my 622 and the back of my equipment rack. Other than that it works great. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)