Upgrading to 722

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mfs54729

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls, WI.
My mother-in-law currently has a 625 receiver and she is thinking about upgrading
to a 722. We called Dish and they said they would upgrade the receiver for free
and charge $15 for installation if she subscribed to the service package. This would
be a new 2 year commitment for her. If Dish upgrades her to the 722 does she
have to subscribe to an HD package or can she stay on America's Top 120 without
the HD? If she does not subscribe to an HD package will she get her locals in HD
anyway?
Thanks.

Mark

My mother-in-law currently has a 625 receiver and she is thinking about upgrading
to a 722. We called Dish and they said they would upgrade the receiver for free
and charge $15 for installation if she subscribed to the service package. This would
be a new 2 year commitment for her. If Dish upgrades her to the 722 does she
have to subscribe to an HD package or can she stay on America's Top 120 without
the HD? If she does not subscribe to an HD package will she get her locals in HD
anyway?
Thanks.

I do believe with Dish Network this is possible,but why wouldn't she?.I upgraded to the VIP722k in January 2011 and since HD For Life is a 24 commitment I got that also added at the same time.:)

Also you need to doublecheck and see what kind of hookup she needs,if it's a Channel 3 or 4 RF hookup the installer would need to install Dish Network MT2 OTA module in the 722k,this is what I needed.;)

Dish Network's MPEG4 HD signals are a better signal than their MPEG2 SD signal even when it's downrezzed to SD.:D

Last edited:
However, if you don't mind the AutoPay with Paperless Billing, it will be free anyway, since the two year committment for the 722 is already there.

From Free HD For Life - DISH Network

What you'll need for HD
An HDTV (Sold Separately)
An HD Receiver - call 1-800-333-DISH (3474) to upgrade your equipment* Learn More »
* Fee may apply to upgrade equipment.
HD Programming
What you'll need to do to get HD Free for Life:
OPTION 1: 24-Month Commitment and AutoPay with Paperless Billing

However, if you don't mind the AutoPay with Paperless Billing, it will be free anyway, since the two year committment for the 722 is already there.

From Free HD For Life - DISH Network

What you'll need for HD
An HDTV (Sold Separately)
An HD Receiver - call 1-800-333-DISH (3474) to upgrade your equipment* Learn More »
* Fee may apply to upgrade equipment.
HD Programming
What you'll need to do to get HD Free for Life:
OPTION 1: 24-Month Commitment and AutoPay with Paperless Billing

I know they can get HD Free for Life if they sign up for AutoPay and Paperless Billing.
I'm not sure I can talk them into that. They don't have internet access so I would have to
print their bill for them and take it to them every month.

They don't have internet access so I would have to
print their bill for them and take it to them every month.
Since AutoPay is involved, it doesn't have to be like clockwork. You don't have to have Internet access at home to get on the Internet anymore.

This seems very unlikely.

If the locals were MPEG4, they would likely have upgraded her to a ViP DVR already.

Here is my answer with a little more input.

Yes, you can have a VIP rcvr with no high def programming except what the K2/4 will "give you". Its not really uncommon for people to do this. I said "depends on where the locals come from" because it does. In my area, the locals only come in on the 61.5, in high def. If his parents are the same way, there is a CHANCE that there is no line of sight for that orbital, so they wouldn't get them in high def.

That said, if someone does a 722/k4 upgrade and they don't subscribe to high def, they will still get locals in high def and not pay for high def since this is the only place the locals come in at. It's sorta hard to explain, I guess.

My guess, his parents have a high def tv and want to keep dish network. They really only watch local channels which is why they want them in high def. If they do the upgrade, they have high def locals free and have a larger DVR. Again, this isnt uncommon for people to do this, especially older folks. 9 out of 10 times, they get the locals in high def free...see the picture difference and end up getting all of the other channels in high def as well.

Jhon69, what you said is untrue about the connection. TV2 can be modulated for tv1. Pop a splitter right out of tv2, go into the modulation and set tv1 to another channel. Sometimes, depending on the software that is loaded onto the rcvr, the rcvr won't allow you to do this right out of the box. In that case, a rf modulator can be used. I guess long story short, they don't NEED a OTA modulator.

Here is my answer with a little more input.

Yes, you can have a VIP rcvr with no high def programming except what the K2/4 will "give you". Its not really uncommon for people to do this. I said "depends on where the locals come from" because it does. In my area, the locals only come in on the 61.5, in high def. If his parents are the same way, there is a CHANCE that there is no line of sight for that orbital, so they wouldn't get them in high def.

That said, if someone does a 722/k4 upgrade and they don't subscribe to high def, they will still get locals in high def and not pay for high def since this is the only place the locals come in at. It's sorta hard to explain, I guess.

My guess, his parents have a high def tv and want to keep dish network. They really only watch local channels which is why they want them in high def. If they do the upgrade, they have high def locals free and have a larger DVR. Again, this isnt uncommon for people to do this, especially older folks. 9 out of 10 times, they get the locals in high def free...see the picture difference and end up getting all of the other channels in high def as well.

Jhon69, what you said is untrue about the connection. TV2 can be modulated for tv1. Pop a splitter right out of tv2, go into the modulation and set tv1 to another channel. Sometimes, depending on the software that is loaded onto the rcvr, the rcvr won't allow you to do this right out of the box. In that case, a rf modulator can be used. I guess long story short, they don't NEED a OTA modulator.

Yes Frank I know you can do it that way,but when you do it the way I suggested you get the MT2(Dual OTA Tuner Module) installed with the original install.;)

And since that's what I told the CSR that I needed(which I did) the MT2 was included with my Free Upgrade.:eureka :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts