Upgrading to 722k, and other questions

olfenite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
Hi, I got a lot of questions, so please try to follow along and answer my questions. Thanks so much.

First, I am a long time Dish Network subscriber, and I currently have a 522 Dish DVR. It operates two televisions. One television, which is a HDTV has OTA, the other , a SDTV, does not since Feb. 17 transition.

Despite doing all my business in San Angelo, TX, I am forced into the Abilene, TX market due to where I live (Runnels county). On my HDTV, which has a digital tuner built in, I am able to pick up San Angelo.

From what I have been lead to understand, the 722k with the module will be able to pick up these local channels over the antenna and show them on two televisions. Is this correct? It would be a big help for my SDTV.
If so, I will be able to have both televisions showing content from the antenna at the same time, correct?
It won't have to be the same channel on both tvs? Will it broadcast in HD on the HDTV, provided that the program is in HD?
If I do this, will I still be able to buy the Abilene locals from Dish Network?
It would be great if I were able to pick up my CBS, ABC, NBC, and FOX from both San Angelo and Abilene.

If all this information is true, I now need to know how to acquire a 722k.
What is the process?
What do I specifically tell them? I need two OTA broadcasters, and I don't want a converter box if I don't need it. I don't want to end up with the wrong equipment either.
Are they backordered?
Can I lease it? I'm not worried about commitment.
Can I get this through a Dish Network retailer?
How do I make sure that it is a 722k? What do I do if it is not a 722k?

Finally, if I need to go through Dish Network, what can I do to request a different technician to come out when I get it installed? The last technician I had threatened to shoot my dog if it bit him, and he said he had a rifle in his truck. Fortunately, my dog did not bite him (not that I expected him to, they are trained), but I did not feel comfortable with this. The next time my Dish Network had problems, I specifically requested that the same technician not be sent out again, but they sent him out anyway.

I apologize for the large amount of questions. I just need some help. Thanks

Finally, if I need to go through Dish Network, what can I do to request a different technician to come out when I get it installed? The last technician I had threatened to shoot my dog if it bit him, and he said he had a rifle in his truck. Fortunately, my dog did not bite him (not that I expected him to, they are trained), but I did not feel comfortable with this. The next time my Dish Network had problems, I specifically requested that the same technician not be sent out again, but they sent him out anyway.

I apologize for the large amount of questions. I just need some help. Thanks
I would have shot the tech. I had a problem with a neighbor over my dog and the problem was all his. He was a bad shot and a neighbor seen him shooting at my dog. So I had a word with him and I let him I know I like playing with guns too. I haven't had a problem since. :eek:

I from what I understand OTA only works on TV1 out put. I'm sure if I'm wrong some will say it.

The onus is on you to ensure anyone 'invited' to your house is not bitten by your dog. The technician should never feel threatened. Asking for a technician/repairman to come to your house is an 'invitation' no matter how you slice it. If you have any doubts, check your local laws, and, make sure you have good home owners insurance.

Last edited:
The onus is on you to ensure anyone 'invited' to your house is not bitten by your dog. The technician should never feel threatened. Asking for a technician/repairman to come to your house is an 'initiation' no matter how you slice it. If you have any doubts, check your local laws, and, make sure you have good home owners insurance.
But the tech could have handled it better.

But the tech could have handled it better.

Perhaps the tech could have handled it better, but it's still the owners responsibility to avoid a situation where someone that is invited to the house feels threatened.

The onus is on you to ensure anyone 'invited' to your house is not bitten by your dog. The technician should never feel threatened. Asking for a technician/repairman to come to your house is an 'invitation' no matter how you slice it. If you have any doubts, check your local laws, and, make sure you have good home owners insurance.

I have them locked up in the gate, but the dish is inside the gate. There wasn't a lot I could do. I have an old storage building that I put them in until the guy left. They usually will bark for about 30 seconds to a minute and then ignore the person. On top of that, these were not big dogs. One is a terrier mix and the other is a chihuahua mix.

I'm not saying that my dogs were in the right to bark, I'll get them away from you if you feel uncomfortable. But to tell me that you're going to shoot my dogs before you even go back to the Dish, that is wrong. On top of that, what type of business would allow their employer to bring their gun to work?

Whatever the case, I do not want that tech to come back to my house not because he threatened my dogs, but because he brought a gun on my property. I do not like guns, and I do not think that is unreasonable to ask, and when I did ask, which they said they would not send him again, they sent him back again anyway. Furthermore, the guy is an idiot. He told me that I would notice no difference between HD and my current box using composite cables.

Anyway, I got my answer about how the 722k works, but I still need to know if I can subscribe to my locals even though I'm picking some up through the OTA module. I also need to know what to ask, who to ask, and how to lease it.

I would also like to know how to spot a 722k so I get the right equipment. The only thing I noticed on the pictures is that the 722k says 722k on the front of it.

As to cband's post, I could not find it. I did a search from your profile but I didn't see it. I'll try again though.

Some people just don't like dogs, and maybe the tech had some bad experiences on other calls.
In any case, he could have acted more civil. I thought Dish gives you some warning both when you order, and again a recorded reminder that also cautions you about dogs in your yard.
I know techs have always asked when they come to my door if there are dogs in the back.
I make sure mine are inside when I see a service person or contractor I am expecting pull up front, although my dogs would likely just roll over anyway LOL.

-The ota module will control both tvs separately.
-You can still buy the 1 set of locals and also get the other set through the ota module.
-The ota module is an extra $50 charge.
-You can lease the receiver
-No they arent backordered.
-Call dish and tell them you want to upgrade to the 722k receiver. Stress the "K". Also tell them that you want the ota module with it.
-To tell if its a 722k...it says on the sticker on the box and on the front of the receiver and it looks different..like a 612,or 222k.
-Im not sure if you can get it from a retailer, probably not.
-If the tech doesnt have a 722k then tell him that you want the "k",he can get it.
-As far as the tech vs. dog issue goes, he should not have ever said that, that was way out of line. But Dish Network policy requires customers to put all animals away so they cannot reach the tech, otherwise the tech can refuse to do the work.

I thought I posted this before...anyway, module is $29.95 plus about 5 bucks for shipping.

I know several online dealers carry the 'k' and the module.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)