Upgrading to a 622, should I be worried?

scott78945

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
Well, I am finally going to take the plunge and calling my local Dish retailer today to swap out my leased 942 and getting myself a 622 since its basically free to upgrade now. I know there have been many bugs that have been talked about but is there anything major that I should hold off on upgrading for? My 942 seems to be working just fine now with no problems and I hate to upgrade to a new mess of problems.

Get ready for mpeg 4 motion aritfacts on some of the mpeg 4 hd channels and some of your hd locals if Dish provides them. This is caused by the encoders that Dish is using and they haven't perfected them yet, and this is not receiver related. Some minor software bugs with some video stuttering and possible audio drop outs.

All in all the last software update for L359 made my 622s pretty solid now. I don't even suffer from the black channel when I tune to my hd locals now. Some other members have seen no difference in their 622s . I guess you will have to try one and see if you have any problems. Anytime you get the latest receiver you can expect some bugs.

IF you can get a dish for 61.5 instead of the dish 1000 for 129 , I recommend it. I changed back to 61.5 and I no longer suffer from any problems with the crappy 129 satellite that is constantly moving. I get great strengths in the 90s and even a 111 on one transponder with the 61.5 sat. They keep having to fire thrusters on the 129 sat to get it back to its proper position. This causes wild spikes and drops of the strengths on the satellite transponders that effects the picture on most of the hd channels , like Voom, Starz hd etc.

My first 622 had the "no HDMI" problem from the get-go. The replacement unit is working well so far. If you are planning to connect to your TV via the 622's HDMI output I suggest you also equip yourself with a set of component cables as a back-up. That way you can at least watch HD via that connection until the HDMI situation is resolved. (Note: the 622 comes with neither HDMI nor component cables! Considering it's an advanced HD receiver, that's a real "duuhhh" !!)

Remember, you generally hear only the complaints. My guess is a large majority of 622 owners/lessees have essentially no hard failures and only a few minor quirks like MikeD-CO5 described. Overall the 622 is a great receiver/DVR and you'll really like the user interface and friendliness...

EDIT: One more thought - you've probably noticed from the various threads that the 622 runs "hot". I'm a big believer that anything one can do to reduce that heat reduces stress in the unit and likely improves its performance and long-term reliability. Place this unit by itself (i.e., not near any other heat generators) and do everything you can to keep air circulating around it...

Last edited:
never had any problems with mine other then having to reset it a couple times a month when it freezes up. hdmi works perfectly for me too. i guess i got a good one.

I am located in NY so I am unsure what satellites I will need to be using. I currently have SuperDish for all my SD and HD channels. I don't get HD locals from Dish...yet. They are all OTA for now.

What programming are you planning to get? The "standard" packages require the 110 and 119 sats for all the national SD channels and your SD lils. For most of the HD nationals and voom channels, particularly the new "MPEG-4" channels the 622 can receive, you'll need to get either the 61.5 or 129 sat. Why did you have the SuperDish - internationals? If your locals were on 121, they have moved to 110.

You won't be able to "see" 129 from the northeast including almost all of NY. (Buffalo is in the fringe, IIRC.) You will probably want to receive 110, 119 (D500 or your SD?) then add a wing dish (can be as simple as a D300) to get 61.5.

Keep your OTA HD equipment. Even if/when you can get your HD locals as lil you'll most likely have better picture quality from the OTA signals, and E* won't carry all the subchannels you can receive OTA. YMMV...

Last edited:
If you plan to use the TV2 output to another TV, you should be aware of the possibility of sound problems @ TV2. I have mine in single mode and it's been fairly solid so far (knocking on wood), yet my brother is currently on his third 622, and all have had the same audio problems on TV2 where the sound constantly fades in and out.

Of course, I'll also add that I have 61.5 instead of 129 as others have mentioned, which may be one reason for my 622s stability.

scott78945 said:
I planned on going with the HD Gold as now I have the Top 180 w/ locals.

For just a little bit more you can get all your premium channels Including Hbo HD , Showtime HD , Starz HD , NO DVR Fees and you will get a $5.00 discount on your hd channels.

$104.99 for dish platinum and locals. NO dvr fees.

MikeD-C05 said:
For just a little bit more you can get all your premium channels Including Hbo HD , Showtime HD , Starz HD , NO DVR Fees and you will get a $5.00 discount on your hd channels.

$104.99 for dish platinum and locals. NO dvr fees.

I was thinking of that already. If I do that I would like to upgrade my regalar SD box in my bedroom to a SD DVR then as it will be a free service. Does anyone know what it would cost for me to upgrade that box? Oh and by the way, I would only have the 622 in my living room and I would not be using the TV2 function. It seems that I would be on the 61.5 sat also as I am in NY so it looks pretty good for me...

Just got my 622 installed on Saturday. So far, so good. I have seen some of the artifacts, but they have been minimal. Hopefully, they will fix that soon.

scott78945 said:
I was thinking of that already. If I do that I would like to upgrade my regalar SD box in my bedroom to a SD DVR then as it will be a free service. Does anyone know what it would cost for me to upgrade that box? Oh and by the way, I would only have the 622 in my living room and I would not be using the TV2 function. It seems that I would be on the 61.5 sat also as I am in NY so it looks pretty good for me...

Based on what you qualify for with Dish is whether you can upgrade to both a 622 and a 625 sd dvr receiver at the same time.

Why won't you use the tv 2 output? You can run it to the other rooms in the house including the bedroom using the existing cable company coax already run in your house.

I have two 622 dvrs and they are all cross run so I can watch the living room 622 in the bedroom or any other room in the house . I also have the bedroom 622 run to the living room and any other room in the house. The 622 comes with two remote controls just for that feature .

You can even use the tv 2 out to show what ever you are watching on your living room 622 in any room in the house. I use mine in single mode in the living room and watch it in the computer room . My bedroom 622 is in dual mode so my kid can watch what he wants to while my wife can watch what she wants.

Right now I have the 942 in the livingroom and the SD box in my bedroom mirrored to another bedroom. If I want to use the TV2 in my bedroom won't they have to run new cable? I didnt' want them to have to do that so I figured I would just get the 625 and have that mirrored to the other bedroom. I just didn't want them to go through too much trouble.

IT is up to you, but when they do the install you should go ahead and get hem to run the cable just in case you want to watch the tv 1 in the living room in your bedroom.

And make sure to keep a VCR/TV with an analog tuner around if you have any locals that aren't on the E* bird.

I picked up another local this week(K26GS) and I hooked up my OTA antenna for the first time just to find out that the 622 doesn't have an analog tuner like the 921 did. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts