Upgrading to HD, check my pricing quote -LONG-

bxl4

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 17, 2005
Bainbridge Island, WA
I'm looking to upgrade my existing account to get some HD content (locals only). I talked to Dish Tech Support to get the straightest scoop possible. Man, I couldn't believe the "upsell" that I got on that call, anyway here's the deal as i could best document it. Please tell me if I (or she) was mistaken:

Existing Account
510 DVR
Old D-VHS/5000 reciever
Dish 500 Legacy lnbs
$24.95 DishFamily
$5.00 Additional reciever access fee
$5.98 DVR service fee (never knew I was getting charged for no phone, will fix ASAP)
All in:
Monthly cost $34.99

Quote from Dish:
Retain 510 DVR $5/add reciever access fee
New 622 with lease fee $179.99
$6/month 622 rental
$6/month HD enabling (no HD package - can't see 129, crappy signal here in PacNW)
$24.99 DishFamily
Replacement of Dish 500 with new LNBs/switches as necessary N/C

All in:
Initial cost $179.99 (no rebates for DishFamily subs)
Monthly cost $41.99

I don't think this will clear the Wife Acceptance Factor price hurdle. Innovative solutions welcomed. We time-shift everything so OTA without DVR won't work. Crappy OTA signals too.

Thanks to all for your ideas.

Does your TV have a tuner built in? If so, an antenna would be your only cost to get locals. If your TV does not have a tuner or if it has a bad tuner, buy an OTA HD receiver and and Antenna. One time cost - locals forever.

I'm looking to upgrade my existing account to get some HD content (locals only). I talked to Dish Tech Support to get the straightest scoop possible. Man, I couldn't believe the "upsell" that I got on that call, anyway here's the deal as i could best document it. Please tell me if I (or she) was mistaken:

Existing Account
510 DVR
Old D-VHS/5000 reciever
Dish 500 Legacy lnbs
$24.95 DishFamily
$5.00 Additional reciever access fee
$5.98 DVR service fee (never knew I was getting charged for no phone, will fix ASAP)
All in:
Monthly cost $34.99

Quote from Dish:
Retain 510 DVR $5/add reciever access fee
New 622 with lease fee $179.99
$6/month 622 rental
$6/month HD enabling (no HD package - can't see 129, crappy signal here in PacNW)
$24.99 DishFamily
Replacement of Dish 500 with new LNBs/switches as necessary N/C

All in:
Initial cost $179.99 (no rebates for DishFamily subs)
Monthly cost $41.99

I don't think this will clear the Wife Acceptance Factor price hurdle. Innovative solutions welcomed. We time-shift everything so OTA without DVR won't work. Crappy OTA signals too.

Thanks to all for your ideas.

I believe you'd also have a $5.98 monthly dvr fee for the 622, that would make your monthly cost ~$48. You'd also need the 622 hooked up to a phone line, or there would be a charge of $5 monthly for it also (like what they've been dinging you for on the 510)
Does your hd set have a built in tuner, if so what kind of picture are you getting on the locals? Not sure what you mean by "crappy" signal; lots of pixellation, macroblocking, etc? Are you using an outside antenna?

No OTA tuner

My HDTV does not have a built in tuner. The local Fox affiliate does not have an agreement with Dish so I may still need to put up an antenna, but at least it can be a Yagi that is peaked for just that station. Also, it will point in a better line of sight than all the rest of the locals.

I was talking with a CSR about getting a 622 lease and he said I would not have the additional receiver fee, only the lease fee. I already own a 622,942, and a 721 that I was going to replace with the leased 622. If that is the case there is no advantage in owning over leasing. If you own there is an extra receiver fee of $6.00, with the lease $6.00 lease fee but no extra receiver fee. Is this correct, someone help me out ,thanks?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)