Upgrading to HD need some help.

puggsli

Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
usa
Hi guy's new member here.
I have been a long time dish network customer and I want to add HD programming.
Right now I have a dish 500 hooked up to 4 301 leased receivers.
So what type of sat would I need to be able to hook up 5 to 6 set top boxes, would a dish 1000 work?
Oh also what type of switches should I use and how many?
Now for the receivers I’m thinking of 1 solo 211k, 1 solo dvr 612, 1 duo dvr vip 722 for the family room and old SD tv out side , 2 of our old 301 for the SD tv in kitchen and guest room until they die then they will be upgraded to HD.

I have called dish network many times but they are no help and I can’t under stand their accent due to them being in India.

Any help would be great thanks.

Last edited:
You'll either need another 500 for 61.5 or 129 to go along with the existing dish or a 1000.2 or 1000.4 depending on the arc you need for service. For that many receivers you'll need a DPP44 or DPP33 along with another switch to trunk the receivers in excess of 4. You could keep the existing 500 connected to the SD receivers you now have and put up either a 1000.2 or 1000.4 for the HD receivers. It can provide service to 3 receivers with its built-in switch.

Go to Dish Network on line and open an on line chat with tech support. They will be able to assist you. If they give you a config that you like. keep a copy of the chat and then place your order.

Hope this helps....

Hi guy new member here.
I have been a long time dish network customer and I want to add HD programming.
So what type of sat would I need to be able to hook up 5 to 6 set top boxes, would a dish 1000 work?
Oh also what type of switches should I use and how many?
Now for the receivers I’m thinking of 1 solo 211k, 1 solo dvr 612, 1 duo dvr vip 722 for the family room and old SD tv out side , 2 of our old 301 for the SD tv in kitchen and guest room until they die then they will be upgraded to HD.

I have called dish network many times but they are no help and I can’t under stand their accent due to them being in India.

Any help would be great thanks.
your asking alot, lol, well 1st off dish realy dont like more than 4 recivers per home.. It is possible to get more than 4 , but i belive you need there permission from a specal department of theres.. your set up , can get pricey, also can depend on where your at, more than likely your gonna need dpp 44 switches, they run abouit 80 to 120 each . The hd satalite depend on your location, where im at we need use dpp500 twin and single 300 dish for 61.5 .. we cant get no other satalite for hd besides 61.5 here.

if u cant understand dish. make sure you hit right option i go to option tech suport, usaly you get a american , if not call back till you do , i usaly call in evening, actaly when u call and tell them u want upgrade they may make u a deal get all free or somthing good luck

Did you win the lotto or something? (I sure hope so cause that upgrade is probably gonna cost ya!). Anyways, the reason they are no help is that your request is so far outside any type of promotion that dish network offers, that they literally can't help you.

The first problem is that most people buy a new TV, and call to get an upgrade for that receiver. Then maybe a year later upgrade another, and so on, and that is the way upgrade promotions are set up. You can only upgrade so many receivers per year, and per upgrade.

The second problem you run into is Dish Network's idiotic (in my opinion) limitation to 4 leased tuners per account (the 612 only counts as one, but the 722 will count as 2). Your upgrade would put you at 6. Anything beyond 4 must be purchased, and by policy you would have to pay for the installation as well as any switches required to accommodate such an installation.

What you need to do is get in touch with the loyalty team. They are the only section of customer service that can even get close to setting this up for you. It will be a painful experience more than likely because even they probably can't do everything you want to do in one work order. They also will not be able to override the 4 leased tuner limit (yes it has been done in the past, but usually requires the executive resolution team to get involved, and the savings aren't really worth it with as cheap as you can buy a re-manufactured 301) so you will end up buying some receivers in the end. Best way to get in touch with the loyalty team is to call up, tell them what you want, and when they start telling you it can't be done ask to speak to the Loyalty team. It may take more than one call to them to get to someone who is actually able (and willing) to help you (generally referred to here as CSR roulette).

Best of luck to you.

Did you win the lotto or something? (I sure hope so cause that upgrade is probably gonna cost ya!). Anyways, the reason they are no help is that your request is so far outside any type of promotion that dish network offers, that they literally can't help you.

The first problem is that most people buy a new TV, and call to get an upgrade for that receiver. Then maybe a year later upgrade another, and so on, and that is the way upgrade promotions are set up. You can only upgrade so many receivers per year, and per upgrade.

The second problem you run into is Dish Network's idiotic (in my opinion) limitation to 4 leased tuners per account (the 612 only counts as one, but the 722 will count as 2). Your upgrade would put you at 6. Anything beyond 4 must be purchased, and by policy you would have to pay for the installation as well as any switches required to accommodate such an installation.

What you need to do is get in touch with the loyalty team. They are the only section of customer service that can even get close to setting this up for you. It will be a painful experience more than likely because even they probably can't do everything you want to do in one work order. They also will not be able to override the 4 leased tuner limit (yes it has been done in the past, but usually requires the executive resolution team to get involved, and the savings aren't really worth it with as cheap as you can buy a re-manufactured 301) so you will end up buying some receivers in the end. Best way to get in touch with the loyalty team is to call up, tell them what you want, and when they start telling you it can't be done ask to speak to the Loyalty team. It may take more than one call to them to get to someone who is actually able (and willing) to help you (generally referred to here as CSR roulette).

Best of luck to you.
hes right , and yep loalty team will need get involved that maybe correct name, its possible 2 have it done.. but costly and complexed.. only part i disagree with this is i have 2 duel tuners subscribed to dish and 2 single mine is counted as 4 ..

This isn't a big deal if the OP owns the 301s since that would require only leasing 3 receivers. If not, it does become a bit messy. The OP could go with 3 HD dual tuner receivers to supply all his/her needs for both HD and SD and that would not be an issue for the most part except for the upfront cost.

Hi guy's new member here.
So what type of sat w.....

This isn't a big deal if the OP owns the 301s since that would require only leasing 3 receivers. If not, it does become a bit messy. The OP could go with 3 HD dual tuner receivers to supply all his/her needs for both HD and SD and that would not be an issue for the most part except for the upfront cost.

I'm guessing, they are probably leased..... :D

your asking alot, lol, well 1st off dish realy dont like more than 4 recivers per home.. It is possible to get more than 4 , but i belive you need there permission from a specal department of theres.. your set up , can get pricey, also can depend on where your at, more than likely your gonna need dpp 44 switches, they run abouit 80 to 120 each . The hd satalite depend on your location, where im at we need use dpp500 twin and single 300 dish for 61.5 .. we cant get no other satalite for hd besides 61.5 here.

j8 and I agree on most of this, but you will only need a 34 switched and a 33 switch trunked for the setup you want. much cheaper than 2 44 switches. (unless of course your installation requires eastern arc, in which case ONLY the 44 switch can properly power a 1000.4 LNB)

Edit:
Well if it helps any I live in southern California.

guess I should read too. probably won't be eastern arc.....

j8 and I agree on most of this, but you will only need a 34 switched and a 33 switch trunked for the setup you want. much cheaper than 2 44 switches. (unless of course your installation requires eastern arc, in which case ONLY the 44 switch can properly power a 1000.4 LNB)

Edit:

guess I should read too. probably won't be eastern arc.....
Well i forget alot and not fimular with the 33 switch. But after you said this your right i did more reading, also seams to me that you can trunk 34 togther which would be cheaper. I forget alot lol; I know why now I was thinking 44s, at 1 time here i had 4 sats, our locals 1ce apon a time was on 105, and hd on 61.5, so 44 was best option.. Sence then we no longer need 105. Me personal i put up 2 dpps twin 500s mad it much easer and nicer for me ... i found this also u may find intreresting.../http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/receiverhome.shtml

Last edited:
so if im thinking right its early, lol not awake yet,, a dpp 500 twin and single dp 500 lnd with a few 34s seam be answer..

When you do an upgrade to an HD receiver you will get a Dish 1000.2 antenna put up. You can upgrade to 4 tuners or 2 receivers. Anything over 4 tuners will have to be purchased and you can only have 6 tuners on one account. I beleive anything over that would require a 2nd account.

When you do an upgrade to an HD receiver you will get a Dish 1000.2 antenna put up. You can upgrade to 4 tuners or 2 receivers. Anything over 4 tuners will have to be purchased and you can only have 6 tuners on one account. I beleive anything over that would require a 2nd account.
well i agree to a point, ive called asked them at least 2x or more.if i could have 4 dual tunners , got anawered Yes you can have up to 4 dvrs. or even 4 singels so lets say 4 recivers total.. i was told after 4 you need to hook phone lines up, also you need special permision to hook more than 4.. You kinda get watched after 4 recivers.. Now in my area 129 will not come in so u need dish 500 and sigal dish for hd, far as i know knothing elese will work here . so it depends on your location.. right now i have 2 signal 510s and 1 722 and 1 522 acourding to dish im fine been like this long time i get charges for 3 recivers 1 is free

I believe the limit is 8 receivers per account, but it may be higher.

Not aware of any limit on tuners on 1 account.

I wonder why anyone in a home would need 8 or even 6 rec'rs. To really need that many, you have to be watching that many TVs at the same time -- all with different programming. I really don't believe most households truly have that kind of need (or want).

I think most households would be just fine with a couple 722 units driving multiple TVs. I have one 722 driving 3 HD sets and 2 SD sets (for a total of 5 televisions). True, you would have to purchase equipment like HDMI splitters and an IR distribution system, but since you'd be spending less per month with DISH (2 rec'rs versus 4 or more) the one time cost of the added equipment would be less in the long run.

I have 4 HDTV's and 3 Sdtv's and I do not like sharing receivers between TV's, PIP is too nice.

what sat are my HD locals on

espnu

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)