Upgrading to Hopper

m4dh4xx0r

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Central Iowa
Hey guys,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I've been with Dish for 4 years I think, and been fairly happy. I've currently only got a 722k + sling adapter. I was wondering what my options are for switching to the Hopper (plus keeping the sling capability if possible). I'm currently out of contract, FYI.

Thanks!

Okay, I chatted with Dish online and I'm thoroughly confused now, lol. Is it possible to get a HWS with no Joey? I've currently got a 722k being used with a single TV and I want to replace it with just a HWS (no joey needed). I figured I could get just a Hopper, but the guy in the chat insisted I had to have a joey with the hopper.

I assumed I could get a hopper, and my bill would go up by $5/mo (DVR fee from $7 -> $12), but if I have to have a Joey, my bill would go up by $12/mo ($7 722k -> $12 Hopper + $7 Joey)?

That is a common question.
The answer is no, you don't have to have a Joey, but most CSRs don't know that.

The solution seems to be to order H +J and tell the installer when he arrives you don't want the Joey.

That is a common question.
The answer is no, you don't have to have a Joey, but most CSRs don't know that.

The solution seems to be to order H +J and tell the installer when he arrives you don't want the Joey.

Ah, gotcha. This was actually the second chat I did with Dish - earlier I was at one point transferred to someone in the Loyalty department and thought they were offering a HWS - looking over the conversation now, it does appear he included a Joey also:

We have a lease promotion available to you, you can upgrade to a Hopper with sling and Joey receiver, the upgrade cost is $100.00 and $95 for installation. I'd be happy to add the Protection Plan $7 per month to your account, which would drop the tech visit fee from $95 to $15. I understand you were already offered that, If you sign up for the protection plan. I will waive $50 for you.

I eventually got him to...

What I will do is wiave the cost for you but you will have to sign for the protection plan

I probably should have taken it when it was offered, but I still wanted to think it over.

Well, they can up the ante a little.... I was able to get install fee waived, the hopper w/sling free (no joey) and quite a few programming perks (one being cinemax for $0.01 for a year). To get this I did have to agree to another 2 year contract, but the out clause on the contract is fairly inexpensive after even 9-10 months.... Oh, and no I didn't sign up for the protection program. I did find that talking on the phone did seem to go a bit more smoothly.

Well, they can up the ante a little.... I was able to get install fee waived, the hopper w/sling free (no joey) and quite a few programming perks (one being cinemax for $0.01 for a year). To get this I did have to agree to another 2 year contract, but the out clause on the contract is fairly inexpensive after even 9-10 months.... Oh, and no I didn't sign up for the protection program. I did find that talking on the phone did seem to go a bit more smoothly.

Thanks for the heads up on what deal you were able to get. I'll probably end up giving them a call soon. I tried to talk my way out of needing the protection plan, but they wouldn't go for it (in chat). Hopefully I'll have better luck on the phone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)