Upgrading to New Equipment

Bmonty25

Original poster
Dec 31, 2005
My son just informed me that I was losing money paying for a full HD Package while only having a Dish 811 HD Receiver. He stated that I do not get all the channels because it is MPEG2. After showing me that I am losing out on Golf Channel HD I think I am ready to upgrade. I currently have a Dish 811, Dish DVR 522, a Dish 311, and a Dish 500 Satellite Receiver. I will need the same amount of receivers, but I think I want to upgrade to a HD DVR, a simple HD Receiver, and a basic TV receiver.

Can anyone tell me what I will need to ask the Dish Representative when I call to schedule the upgrade. Please let me know what I need to ask for to get the best equipment, or any other information.

Thanks,

Your son is correct.

You may need either a different antenna or an additional antenna depending on where you are exactly.

I recommend to get the ViP 722 DVR and a ViP 211. Using the 722's tuner 2 output you can back feed that signal to the 3rd (SD) TV without an additional receiver. You will also be able to view the HD channels on the SDTV and use the DVR functions from that location as well.

The 211 is just a simple HD receiver.

Opt for the DVR Advantage Plan for extra savings unless you like the superstations. That is the only draw back to this plan. The superstations price jumps to regular but I got around this slightly because I am in the NYC DMA I already get WPIX and WWOR as part of my locals. I added KWGN and KTLA a-la-carte at $1.50 each as I like those. The "all the superstations" bundled price in this plan $6.00 for all so be careful. The CSR won't even notice you might be charged double if superstations are already in your DMA. Locals plus superstations (DishNets Locals) is 8.99 without this plan.

Hook the 722 to a phone line or high speed internet connection and save an extra receiver fee as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)