Uplink Activity 12/14/08 Young Broadcasting Stations RETURN

Waiting for FOX...

Good point. That may be the next big battle. I wonder if the contracts for the national FOX channels and the local O&Os are linked. There are many people in the LA area who would not be happy to lose both KTTV and KCOP.

Good thing Young sold KCAL to CBS a few years ago. KCAL is probably the highest rated independent station in LA. They have a great primetime HD newscast and carry a lot of sports. We need KCAL in HD on Dish!!!!

Dish Network would loose tons of customers if they knock down these stations...something they cannot afford these days. Customers can always get cheaper programming by switching.

Really? I doubt it. Their viewership is simply not that high. There are other posts seeming to indicate they are in a world of trouble without crossing swords with Dish.

And cheaper by switching? Maybe to OTA......

The bottom line is that this is what you get when the government steps in to "protect" local TV. Other than PBS, Local TV increasingly has NOTHING to offer over the standard network feed (CBS/NBC/ABC/FOX). Viewership for their local news has plumetted, ad revenue is disappearing. Its because they suck.

The government gave them a monopoly with the Satellite Home Viewers Act (SHVA) which PREVENTS viewers from subscribing to better out of town local stations. Imagine if some law said you CANNOT read nytimes.com unless you live in New York.

Even so, SHVA has kept increasingly crappy local TV going to the point where rather than one or two local TV news organizations in each market you have 3 ot 4 that produce such lousy content that no one wants to watch.

So now that these TV outlets have a law that says Satellite providers CANNOT offer competing markets, they also are now saying.. you are Satellite or cable. you MUST PAY EVEN MORE for what we offer for FREE over the air.

How messed up is all of that.

Write your congressment and repeal SHVA and allow the free market figure out how to deliver TV to each subscriber.

And no. I do not have any affiliation to any Satellite or cable company.

If anyone who was denied Distant Networks had appealed to the Supreme Court, the SHVA would likely have been overturned. Prohibiting a citizen from listening to any particular news broadcast is clearly unconstitutional with regards to the first amerndment...

The San Francisco Bay Area Young Broadcasting station is KRON channel 4. Currently it is not offered in HD by DISH, so I have not even bothered to look at it except for local news. The picture quality is so bad it looks like an old kinescope for those of us that remember them.

Young paid way too much for this station (it had been the NBC affilliate since its inception in the 50's I think), and outbid NBC for it when it went on the market. Since then, crap programming, and way too many infomercials.

My point here, is that I doubt if anyone even missed it!!

Really? I doubt it. Their viewership is simply not that high. There are other posts seeming to indicate they are in a world of trouble without crossing swords with Dish.

And cheaper by switching? Maybe to OTA......

I agree. The broadcast networks are more, and more every year fighting for a bigger share of a shrinking market. every year the reports come out about how overall viewership of the broadcast networks are falling like a stone.
it may not happen tomorrow, or even the next day, but with every moment the time creeps closer to the day the broadcast networks dissappear completely.
Personally I cannot wait. with so much government interference from the FCC, broadcast days are most definitely numbered. how long can they possibly last when the FCC does everything to make sure that everything on it is suitable for a 14 yr old to watch?
basically it is apparent to most everyone that broadcast networks are fading, and will evenyually pass into non-existence. the only question left is, will it be the FCC, internet, cable, and satellite, or a combination of all that eventually kills them?

If anyone who was denied Distant Networks had appealed to the Supreme Court, the SHVA would likely have been overturned. Prohibiting a citizen from listening to any particular news broadcast is clearly unconstitutional with regards to the first amerndment...

Doubtful since SHVA is not a government restriction on free speach. It instead grants a license to use the content without paying additional fees to the copyright holders (note copyright holders not the stations).

The copyright holders own the content distributed by the national networks. The national networks have licenced the properties for distribution via their national network of affiliated stations. The networks have a contract with each affiliated station to allow them to broadcast the network programming for their area alone.

It is a valid contract. It is like McDonalds Corporation licensing a local McDonalds the right to sell out of a particular location. It would not be ok for that McDonalds operator to open up additional McDonalds wherever they wanted to sell McDonalds branded hamburgers, just because consumers wanted to be served somewhere else.

The federal laws are essentially giving blanket copyright clearance for the local stations to sell their content to a satellite provider for rebroadcast. The networks themselves only have copyright licensing to broadcast via their affilates.

The distants are another blanket copyright clearance granted to cover areas not served by a local station. Dish fought this all the way up the court system and lost the battle.

These laws are essentially taking property of the copyright holders, NOT restricting the rights of viewers.

Although I agree 100% that we should be able to have distant networks; the issue is not free speech but copyright protection. If it would technically possible, I would image that it would be legal to import a news program from another DMA. Not sure it still happens because I do not have cable, but when I did - cable offered distant feeds, but turned them off when they duplicated programs with the local stations; the cable companies switched to the local feed. For example, we got abc from boston for the news, but they switched back to channel ten program from Albany when ABC programming was shown.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)