Uplink Activity for August 2nd, 2006

BFG said:
of course it's MPEG2 every channel they added (except for locals) could remain mpeg2 in the old hd pakcs, but of course they have to be greedy bastards and force upgrades and higher packages for a technology that has been proven to not be needed yet

Geez Bryan, you're starting to sound like me.:eek:

psumattDE said:
Ugh-
They uplinked Food HD to the low-powered TP 20 again on 61.5 !!!

Didn't they learn last time with NFL-HD and NatGeo HD?

Other than that - great news that it's finally uplinked!

There are two 8PSK TP's on 129W that are empty and active. One has two SD channels for some reason but I think those were moved off to 110.

TP24 & TP4 - wonder what they have in store for these?? They could add more national HD to 129W easily but is it as easy to add to 61.5?

Pepper said:
Crap. That was one of my favorites.

I guess with all the stuff that's been moved around to comply with the single dish for all locals requirement, this became obsolete.

yep

It was cool when it changed to "Soon you can view this channel with your current dish" :D:D

Baseball season will be over or close to it when the 11 RSNS in HD come to Dish. They are aiming for Football in HD this year not baseball.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Baseball season will be over or close to it when the 11 RSNS in HD come to Dish. They are aiming for Football in HD this year not baseball.

But none of the RSNs carry pro football & our RSN, Comcast Chicago, doesn't have any HD college football. I don't think many of the others do either. I think more of what they are aiming for is the NBA & NHL seasons. That is where you are more likely to find the HD sports.

BFG said:
of course it's MPEG2 every channel they added (except for locals) could remain mpeg2 in the old hd pakcs, but of course they have to be greedy bastards and force upgrades and higher packages for a technology that has been proven to not be needed yet

Not to mention they have major problems with their 1080i (really 1440x1080) h.264 channels. People have seen the smears and horrible blocking on locals (nbc,cbs) as well as starz-hd. It still hasn't been determined if the problem lies in the encoders or the set-top boxes.

So far the only "benefit" they've had from h.264 is squeezing 4 HD locals per TP. But is it really a benefit if 2 of those channels have horrible video problems?

goaliebob99 said:
(Im at fort jackson :) )

Say hello to the sand for me. That place had some wicked sand when I did basic there. I'm sure the weather is comfortable this time of year as well. Drink water my friend, drink water.

I'm curious as to when the MPEG 4 stuff will start taking up less harddrive space. I like to record football games and 3 hours of HD takes up a lot of room.

LASooner said:
Say hello to the sand for me. That place had some wicked sand when I did basic there. I'm sure the weather is comfortable this time of year as well. Drink water my friend, drink water.

I'm curious as to when the MPEG 4 stuff will start taking up less harddrive space. I like to record football games and 3 hours of HD takes up a lot of room.

Oh I can't wait until MPEG4 allows for more recordings, too. :hungry:

Tpn5@148W changed modulation and SR to QPSK and 20000 from 8PSK and 21500;

and channels changed from MPEG-4 to MPEG-2 there:

SMP41 , 9975
SMP42 , 9976
HMP41 , 9984
HMP42 , 9985
SMP44 , 9986.

WEIQ1 14284 has been linked to WEIQ 7356(42).

Last edited:
Hey Scott, have you run the comparison program again, I think there might be some more of those weird channels on there.

Pepper said:
Hey Scott, have you run the comparison program again, I think there might be some more of those weird channels on there.

I saw them but it really wasn't important to report since it might confuse people since it was just for EPG data:

The SatelliteGuys.US Uplink Activity Report - 08/04/2006 - 2 changes

Uplink Comparison Range: 08/02/2006 12:59P - 08/04/2006 12:42P

14790 - WEAR2 added to 110.0W TP 12

14791 - WPMI2 added to 110.0W TP 12

Channels in the system: 2903

Scott, has there been any mention of doing guide data for subchannels on a wide scale? They have been adding a few here and there, but nothing major. I think they are testing it right now - but hopefully the have a plan to launch this wide scale for PBS and odd situations. For example - one of my NBC's havd WB (will be CW) on the second sub channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)