500+ or Superdish

sparc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
It looks like i can get either the 500+ or Superdish for my programming.

I'm getting Top60 + internationals as a new customer. My locals are on 110.

Does it matter if the retailer installs a Superdish now even though internationals are moving to 118.7 and will need a 500+?

Thanks for any help

Why is Dish Network phasing out the SuperDish? besides possibly the fact that there a little to big in my opinion or are they moving all the local DNA's and international programing down to the Dish 500?

Seems like the Superdish is coming and going rather quickly

Bob

I don't know if that was ever oficially said or not, but "phasing out" would be the logical assumption.

During Team Summit time frame, Scott posted something about the new Plus dishes (500+/1000+) and a statement about retailers managing their stock of SuperDishes. Also their is suppose to be a "Repoint Kit" coming out that will convert the SuperDish 121 to a Dish 500+ or Dish 1000+.

So it appears that users of Sat 121 will have to eventually pick up Sat 118.7; unless Dish plans to continue 121 and 118.7 to feed the SD-121 and the Plus dishes with the same programming.

EDIT:
Back to the original post....

The SuperDish 121, is larger than the Dish 500+/1000+, and may provide a better signal if he was to upgrade to HD (Sat 12) in the future. But the drawbacks are, he would need an "Unavailable Repoint Kit" to upgrade the SuperDish to receive 129 and need another service call (or several).

I agree with others to go with the Dish 500+. Then to upgrade, you would just add the bracket and DP Dual LNBF (and maybe re-peak) to receive 129. Hopefully, when they install the Dish 500+, they will leave the side bracket.

Last edited:
SuperDISHes are big wind sails. Unless if you have a pole or a very sturdy wooden structure you can mount your dish to, I'd opt for the smaller D500+. It's future-proof and is only 31" wide vs. 36" wide for the SuperDISH. Plus the SuperDISH LNBs have a tendency to fail under intense heat. Not sure how D500+ LNBs would fare but I don't think the average SuperDISH LNBs work very well after 1.5 years. Many of our customers (about 20?) at this time of the year (hottest days of summer) with SuperDISHes installed complain of signal losses at around 4 PM of the day when it's the hottest during the day. Some have failed within a year. As you can see, I'm not very fond of these suckers.

Thanks Summit, I had meant to mention about some folks reporting heat problems with the LNBF cluster on the 121, and say that there may not be replacements for them later.

Thanks for the quick replies and advice.

I just signed up as new dish customer today. The retailer I went with is definitely going to use a 500+.

Hopefully E* doesn't change too much to make the 500+ outdated too quickly :p

Just an Update....

Installer came yesterday with the Dish 500+ and a DP44 switch.

Everything went perfectly with a really clean installation and a great picture quality.

Makes me a happy new dish customer. :)

Glad everything went okay.

You said a Dish 500+ and DP44. From your earlier post, it sounds like you only need 3 orbital locations (119/110/118.7), so you only need the DP34. I suspect that was a typo. The DPP44 is for 4 locations and a lot more expensive. But if they installed the DPP44, then you only need to add the extra LNBF to the Dish 500+ to get a 4th location.

Anyway, sit back and enjoy! :) :)

I think he needed to use some DP separators. Only one line to each receiver. So, he went with the DP44 for an easier install.

At least I think that's how it works anyways. Might be a mistake for all i know.

It definitely makes it a little easier to go HD down the road.

That's what I would of done for myself. But awhile back Dish said there was a shortage of DPP44's and then the cost is roughly $65 for the DP34 and $190 for the DPP44, so I'm surprised.

Sounds like you're ready for the future (and more programming:) ).

Take care.

With so many locals going back to the 110 sat, the demand for the DP Plus 44 switch went way down and thus the supply of them has built back-up.

However, once we get into full-swing with the 500+, I won't be surprised if Dish puts their foot down and makes it mandatory that we only use DP 34 switches with it.