129 Changeover Problem: Hopper or Tailgater or ?

PascoPutter

Original poster
Aug 20, 2023
Newby/amatuer here, first post! I have been scanning posts here for answers to my issue(s). The posts lead me to believe I may have a "129 issue". I have had perhaps 6-8 conversations with DISH techs and one with an antenna rep (King Controls). The DISH calls mostly ended with them sending me a replacement Wally. The
one completed phone call with King was brief, something like, "Oh that's a DISH issue because of the 129 changeover." I passed that on to DISH and they had "never heard of a 129 related issue". I have a second call into King now but no call back yet.

Here is my situation. Starting between June 26 and July 3, 2023 my mobile system started having a problem that I had not seen in 8 years of mobile DISH use. When the problem started I had a 211k receiver (8 yrs old) and a Tailgater 4 (1.5 yrs old). The problem was major static/interference on the screen (and audio), but still a picture. The static problem lasted for just an hour or so. It was followed with just a blank screen. After a few days I gave up and decided I needed a new receiver.

So a new Wally arrives and it starts up fine after activation. But it would hang up/freeze when the check switch menu bar was completly filled in. Waiting as much as an hour made no difference. That problem has persisted through to today with 3 different new Wallys (the second 2 recommended by DISH) and several different cables between the Tailgater and receivers. At one point I was able to see that the signal was "locked" and signal strength was about 40%. I don't recall if it was 110 or 119, or both.

During these many, many resets/restarts (power removed for 10 seconds or more) I never saw a screen that said something like, "Not all satellites found" or "Select here to watch TV"). All of these attempts were made with a single coax connected directly between the Tailgater and receiver.

I have had one exception to the above scenario. On August 5, I was able to connect and actually watch 2-3 hours of golf on CBS! That was in the afternoon, no signal in the evening or anytime since!

Do I have a Tailgater issue, a 129 changeover problem or ? Thank you for your comments and suggestions on how to get my system working again!

Bob

I occasionally use a Wally and a Dish Playmaker in our RV, and it locks on 61.5, 110, and 119. Prior to the 129 changeover, while camping, I had trouble seeing all of 110, 119, and 129, so I tried 61.5, 110, 119 by selecting the "Hybrid" option when first firing up the Wally with antenna connected, the screen where you also select what state you're in. Have you tried the Hybrid option if it's available on your menu?
If your issue was happening to me, I would get hold of a new Playmaker or Tailgater from a retailer, and try that unit in place of the Tailgater.
Camping World and Amazon stocks them. If it then works, you could pursue the issue with King about your Tailgater, and possibly return the new one. Might make it more interesting to try the Playmaker since it's made by Winegard. You could use that as leverage in discussions with King. :)

Thank you Charles! Yes, I see the Hybrid option during startup but one of my early DISH contacts told me use the "WA" option so I never tried the Hybrid. I'll try that and report back.

I have a friend who lives within commuting distance who has offered his Tailgater for me to try. I have been reluctant to impose on him for that, but I'm weakening.

Are there advantages to one or the other between Tailgater vs Playmaker?

Again, thanks for your thoughts!

Bob

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thank you Charles! Yes, I see the Hybrid option during startup but one of my early DISH contacts told me use the "WA" option so I never tried the Hybrid. I'll try that and report back.

I have a friend who lives within commuting distance who has offered his Tailgater for me to try. I have been reluctant to impose on him for that, but I'm weakening.

Are there advantages to one or the other between Tailgater vs Playmaker?

Again, thanks for your thoughts!

Bob
I'm not Charles, but Charles gave the post a thumbs-up!

I was using that WA choice when camping, until I could not lock on all three satellites due to a valley location, I think. So I tried the Hybrid option.
It would be interesting to know if that makes a difference for you. And if problems persist, borrowing his Tailgater seems like a good way to test.

When I was looking at Playmaker vs Tailgater (at Camping World) a few years ago, I did not see an advantage provided by the more expensive Tailgater over the Playmaker. I believe there are "dual" versions of both, which allow for two TV feeds. That was not a need for me in the camper.

Also, I've had mine powered up for a few weeks, and the software level on the Wally says W542 (last updated in June 2023). (Three presses on Home on the remote) When I try to force an update, it says that is the latest version.
You might want to check your software level and if it is earlier than W542, use the Tools menu to try forcing an update.

Well, thank you "Altitudinous", sorry about the name screw-up! Thanks for the additional suggestions. I'm off to check them out right now!

Bob
I'm baaaack! My Software Version is W542 (8/18/2023, 12:06PM). Today the Wally would not even show a "Starting Wally.." on my TV Screen. I called DISH and the rep got it going by plugging into a different outlet, changing my perfectly good HDMI cable, resettting and power plug recycling. So when the Wally finally got going, the scan ended with a "No satellites found error message", and "Complete signal loss". The rep said that my issue is absolutely an antenna problem. Maybe the week King Controls will deem to return the tech support call I made to them last Thursday.

Thanks!

Bob

I'm baaaack! My Software Version is W542 (8/18/2023, 12:06PM). Today the Wally would not even show a "Starting Wally.." on my TV Screen. I called DISH and the rep got it going by plugging into a different outlet, changing my perfectly good HDMI cable, resettting and power plug recycling. So when the Wally finally got going, the scan ended with a "No satellites found error message", and "Complete signal loss". The rep said that my issue is absolutely an antenna problem. Maybe the week King Controls will deem to return the tech support call I made to them last Thursday.

Thanks!

Bob
Well, that's progress. Maybe the internals in the Tailgater are not causing the dish to aim properly. You've got RG6 cable between the antenna and Wally, not RG59, correct? The Tailgater 4 description says it comes with 35 feet of RG6.
If you swap in your friend's Tailgater temporarily, you could most likely prove where the trouble is.

It sounds like your 1.5 year old Tailgater is under their 2 year warranty, at least for parts.