Uplink Activity Report - 10/22/2008 1:02pm - 176 changes

I wish I could get the three Wichita Falls major network stations OTA in HD. Their signals just aren't strong enough up here in OK. All I get OTA in HD is KSWO in Lawton.

If I plunked down $200 on a really good, brand new outdoor antenna setup I might be able to pick up those Wichita Falls stations in HD. I signed up for the Dish HD Absolute package thinking our HD locals would be turned on pretty soon (this was back in April). If I knew outright I would be waiting half a year through numerous, missed target dates I would have bought that new antenna back in April. Unfortunately, with not knowing what's going to happen or when I'm just stuck sitting on my hands.

It would have been better for E* to say nothing at all and only announce the new HD local markets immediately before they were 100% ready to truly add them. This whole "we're going to add them...wait, no we're not...oops, we deleted your market's uplink...now it's back on...it's going to be added...ah, no it's not" garbage is aggravating.

Part of good customer service is saying exactly what you mean and doing exactly what you say.

I bought an outdoor antenna 1 1/2 years ago to get my locals (though at the time only 2 locals transmitted in HD). Since I didn't want to go through the expense and trouble to mount it outside, I've settled with putting it in the attic. Here in Lawton, I can get the 4 majors now in HD (plus CW out of WF). Unfortunately, the quality varies. I don't know whether it is solar radiation, or flakiness in the transmitters, but though it generally works well, I can get cutouts at odd times. Which is why I'm hoping for Dish to carry them. (Of course, when Dish carries them, I may be able to record multiple networks at the same time, another advantage).

I worry that it will be on the 61.5 satellite, which will require an installation visit, and worries about LOS at my place due to neighboring trees.

Before you put out $200 for any outdoor antenna setup go to SatelliteGuys.us and look for the over the air antenna forum. Post your question and zip code there and see what those guys have to say - lots of expertise there that can offer some really good advise.

If your handy buy the antenna and do it yourself - equipment needed and total cost will vary due to your distance from the transmitters, terrain, etc. But once you get it set up it is well worth the money to get HD over the air.