Uplink Activity Report - 7/2/2008 12:17pm - 66 changes

There are several different conflicting complaining groups:

- Those that have "HD Only Package" want as many channels added to that package as possible, since they can only view channels that are in that package. They don't care whether it has any HD content, because they would rather have the channel than not have it at all.

- Those that have "HD Ultimate Package" want as many National HD Channels added as possible. They want more HD channels with HD content, since they already have lots of SD channels.

- Those that have "HD Essentials Package" want only new National HD Channels with HD content, since they already have the SD version of every added channel.

- Those who do not have OTA HD Locals want their HD Locals market made available by satellite as soon as possible, and this takes precedence for them over any National HD channels.

- Those who have good OTA HD Local reception and/or satellite delivered HD Locals don't care about anyone living in any other city, and so they complain about new HD Local markets and only care about National HD channel additions.

- Those who only watched HD channels that were removed, don't care about any other HD channels being added, and see the Forum only as a place where they can whine about losing the channels.

- Those who have DirecTV want Dish Network to never add any channels, so they can feel good about their choice of provider.

Did I miss anyone ?

YES!!! ME. I have Dish 200 + all HD HD locals from Sacramento, and HD OTA. And I love all that I have, and want more, but won't bitch if it doesn't happen. I am happy with what I get, and Watch all the HD I can. 2 622 HD-DVR's running 2 HD TV's and 2 analog. We DVR all the shows we need, view them and delete them, so far no need for EHD. I LOVE DISH NETWORK HD......

well, looky there, Lansing CBS and FOX now available. Good for us Lansing folks: not good for me because just had roof redone and can't get signal until repeak those dishes. Not really my preference for roof mount, but no other location has "line-of-sight".

You forgot this group:

The SD-Only HD Channel Deniers--complains there are no new HD channels and then when one is added, complains that Charlie is downconverting all of the HD broadcast on that channel to SD to save bandwidth!

There's also this group that wasn't mentioned:

The group that complains that the SD channel picture quality keeps going down because E* compresses them further to add all these new HD-LiL channels.

I'll just wait 'till later to complain about AT&T dropping the Dish contract (still w/HomeZone...I can't believe I've stuck with it this long!) when it happens. I don't know that they'll ever offer U-Verse in my neck of the woods.

There is also the small group that complains that their 622/722 is "overcompressing" their SD channels because the picture quality on those SD channels used to be better with their 522 hooked to a 27" tube TV than they do with their 622/722 hooked to their 42" LCD.

There is also the group who have wanted specific Channels that Do have HD content and have given up on Dish ever getting it, for whatever reason.

Specifically the fans of

-- Speed and FX (not gonna happen anytime soon because of various Fox-Dish spats)

-- The MTV networks (including Spike) and other Viacom properties (TMC, etc) --What is the deal with Dish and Viacom?

There are others. But I imagine that they have given up (as I have). My main issue is Speed. I was told by someone at Fox that Speed on Dish while not impossible, would shock him, since Fox is tying Speed to settlement of the Fox News Channel lawsuit, carriage of Fox Business CHannel and Dish's refusal to drop objections to Fox request to be unbound from arbitration over rate increases that Fox agreed to when it bought D* (He said this is the Big Sticking Point)

I keep toying with the idea of switching, but I have not pulled the trigger, as yet. If I could get free equipment, I would switch.

WYNT has very serious lip-sync issues. WTEN is not showing any HD on the onscreen guide, but TitanTV reports Good Morning America is in HD - and Jeopardy tonight is in HD on WCDC which is the Berkshires sister station of WTEN but not in HD on WTEN. Update Jeopardy is in fact in HD on WTEN - it is just the guide that is incorrect.

Last edited:

- Those that have "HD Only Package" want as many channels added to that package as possible, since they can only view channels that are in that package. They don't care whether it has any HD content, because they would rather have the channel than not have it at all.

- Those that have "HD Ultimate Package" want as many National HD Channels added as possible. They want more HD channels with HD content, since they already have lots of SD channels.

- Those that have "HD Essentials Package" want only new National HD Channels with HD content, since they already have the SD version of every added channel.

- Those who do not have OTA HD Locals want their HD Locals market made available by satellite as soon as possible, and this takes precedence for them over any National HD channels.

- Those who have good OTA HD Local reception and/or satellite delivered HD Locals don't care about anyone living in any other city, and so they complain about new HD Local markets and only care about National HD channel additions.

- Those who only watched HD channels that were removed, don't care about any other HD channels being added, and see the Forum only as a place where they can whine about losing the channels.

- Those who have DirecTV want Dish Network to never add any channels, so they can feel good about their choice of provider.

Did I miss anyone ?

Yeah, those that whine about the whiners!

<<snip>>
Did I miss anyone ?

Oh, vot der hell... lets add a another :D

The home bound shop-a-holics longing for the day that HD shopping channels gets added, because they thought the purple pants she just bought turned out to be blue...

<snip>
6383(8) - WFAA [MPEG4 HD] - Echostar12 61.5W TP 15 Area 3 beam changed to Available (H)(Dallas, TX)
6384(11) - KTVT [MPEG4 HD] - Echostar12 61.5W TP 15 Area 3 beam changed to Available (H)(Fort Worth, TX)
6385(5) - KXAS [MPEG4 HD] - Echostar12 61.5W TP 15 Area 3 beam changed to Available (H)(Fort Worth, TX)
6386(4) - KDFW [MPEG4 HD] - Echostar12 61.5W TP 15 Area 3 beam changed to Available (H)(Dallas, TX)
</snip>

Looks like they've begun turning on the 61.5 Local HD duplicates for large markets.

Can some one in the DFW area with a wing dish for 61.5 confirm that you can get your HD locals from either 61.5 and 110?

Talon Dancer
When I got home from work, I checked the HD locals and they were still originating from 110. So I did a power switch reboot on my 622 and the Dallas HD locals came in from 61.5. I then did a check switch and the Dallas stations reverted to the 110 bird. I tried the power switch reboot again, but it didn't work that time.

St. Louis HD locals... still at 118.7?

Hi guys... does anyone know if SL HD locals are still on Anik F3... there was a terrible storm a few hours ago... but I have a hunch they were moved to a spotbeam.

When I got home from work, I checked the HD locals and they were still originating from 110. So I did a power switch reboot on my 622 and the Dallas HD locals came in from 61.5. I then did a check switch and the Dallas stations reverted to the 110 bird. I tried the power switch reboot again, but it didn't work that time.
Thanks for checking. It looks like you can get your HD locals from either 110 or 61.5 as suspected.

[WAG]
It looks like the HD locals on 110/119 and 61.5 will work like the HD nationals on 129 and 61.5 -- the receiver will pick which sat to use based on an algorithm which is indistinguishable from magic ;)
[/WAG]

Talon Dancer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)