Uplink Activity Report - 8/20/2008 6:07pm - 531 changes

As to your non-conforming thread question, the reports will show any channel changes which occur. The tool may "freeze" when signal is lost on a specific transponder much the same as it does with significant rain fade.

I think you also need the "minor" SD locals for a local package.

So, you are saying that you think that the cities where EA is allowed to be installed, are those cities where HD and SD locals are available at 61.5/72.7, and the ones where EA is not allowed are those where the HD locals are available at 61.5, but the SD locals are still only at 110, 119, 129 or 118.75 ?

Sounds plausible...

As to your non-conforming thread question, the reports will show any channel changes which occur. The tool may "freeze" when signal is lost on a specific transponder much the same as it does with significant rain fade.

The thread title is not in the same pattern as the thread titles created by the automated software, but the subject matter was on-topic for the Forum.

Had I posted to an existing thread like this one, the question would have been off-topic for the thread.

What is needed is a stickied thread in this Forum:

" Technical Uplink Questions and Discussions "

which can also include P. Smith occasional super-technical questions and comments about the uplink report process, along the lines of:

" If I adjust the plasma conduits on TSreader, how often will it see the TIDs change without using the FN7843 Mark IV ? "

So...am I to correct to assume that the channels on the EA setup will end up with better PQ since they are all using MPEG4 or will EA still have bandwidth issues because of limited TPs?? If this is the case im gonna acquire meself an EA setup :)

So...am I to correct to assume that the channels on the EA setup will end up with better PQ since they are all using MPEG4 or will EA still have bandwidth issues because of limited TPs?? If this is the case im gonna acquire meself an EA setup :)

MPEG4 simply allows equivalent PQ with less bandwidth, it's just a technique.

Whether Eastern Arc has better PQ, or Western Arc has better PQ (on SD channels) will only be determined by which system is more "starved" for bandwidth.

EA could use MPEG4 and then pack so many SD channels in a transponder that the PQ ended up as a little worse than 110/119.

So, no one really knows until they comopare on their TVs.

PS what difference does it make ? If you want good PQ, you need HD, not SD.
More and more channels will be HD in the near future, so it won't matter much how good the SD version is...

Your right and thats why I DO have HD....reason I was asking was for 2 reasons....I dont have a 5,000 dollar HDTV that can do awesome SD processing so the shows that arent in HD yet dont look that great (better watched on SD tv) and HD PQ isnt the greatest from the big E* (as we all know and hear). So if the TP count between the 3 sats on the EA is more or equal to the total from 119/110/129 I would assume that PQ would end up being better on the EA side.

PS...message wrote very early in the morning so coherence may not be present.

The reason for using MPEG4 for SD on EA is to increase the number of SD channels per transponder.

My intuition is that Dish will put as many SD channels on a transponder as will give similar PQ to 110/119 SD channels.

In the recent past, when Dish has had more bandwidth on 110/119, they have used it to add more HD channels, rather than to increase SD channel PQ.

If Dish has more bandwidth left over on EA, they will use it to add more HD Local channel cities. Even when E*8 reaches 77 West, the total bandwidth between EA and 110/119 will be less than E* needs for all the HD LOCAL channels that they need to add by 2012 in order to be competitive.

So, I cannot imagine they will use any bandwidth for "better SD PQ" - especially since HD is now what people use to compare PQ on providers.

It needs to be pointed out that Dish could put a combination of SD and HD channels on a single TP if all are in MPEG-4. This would allow Dish to maximize bandwidth usage. For example, if there is enough room on a TP to put 7 HD channels but not 8 but there is enough room left over for an additional 2 or 3 SD channels, this would maximize bandwidth usage. I have not examined the Uplink Activity Reports closely to see if Dish did this at all on E-6 at 72.7 W but I think it is something Dish has considered.

It needs to be pointed out that Dish could put a combination of SD and HD channels on a single TP if all are in MPEG-4. This would allow Dish to maximize bandwidth usage. For example, if there is enough room on a TP to put 7 HD channels but not 8 but there is enough room left over for an additional 2 or 3 SD channels, this would maximize bandwidth usage. I have not examined the Uplink Activity Reports closely to see if Dish did this at all on E-6 at 72.7 W but I think it is something Dish has considered.

They aren't even running 8PSK on 72.7.

AFAIK, they have never bothered to put SD and HD on the same transponders.

It isn't necessary, since each slot has plenty of transponders, and it is transparent to the customer which transponder is being viewed.

The only possible exception might be a spot beam with both HD and SD local channels, but so far Dish has often put those on separate satellite slots, let slone the same beam.