Uplink of satellite signals

mysoreman

Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
Hello,
Can you please explain how satellite uplink process works. Is there a way one can obtain additional Free to Air satellite signals using the dish network satellite dish. Any further technical information is appreciated.
thanks
MM

DishNetwork encrypts all of its channels except channel 101 and maybe a few others, I believe.

DishNetwork Tuners are designed solely for DishNetwork reception and will not receive ANY Free To Air (FTA) sat signals.

If you wish to receive FTA sat signals you must buy a FTA sat tuner.

up-link is done on another set of frequency's. And the dishes that the sat Company uses are very focused so It would be very hard pick up the up link signal which would be encrypted on the ground. The Sat is basically a relay station in space. and will down link and transmit on the frequency's u receive with your receiver.

Thats just simple explanation I received.

And this is done in real time with about a 4-5 sec delay at you place, because of transmission time ( up-to-sat-down-to you)

Last edited:
mysoreman said:
Hello,
Can you please explain how satellite uplink process works. Is there a way one can obtain additional Free to Air satellite signals using the dish network satellite dish. Any further technical information is appreciated.
thanks
MM

Are you asking "in General" how a service starts from Ground to Sat? Please be more specific....

topcats69 said:
up-link is done on another set of frequency's. And the dishes that the sat Company uses are very focused so It would be very hard pick up the up link signal which would be encrypted on the ground. The Sat is basically a relay station in space. and will down link and transmit on the frequency's u receive with your receiver.

Thats just simple explanation I received.

And this is done in real time with about a 4-5 sec delay at you place, because of transmission time ( up-to-sat-down-to you)

The actual delay of the signal is .3 seconds..Extra time is spend on the Coding process of actual picture which can turn into a 2-3 sec delay when utilizing Statistical Multiplixing and lower Video bit rates in conjuction with a high FEC...Time delays are different per program/Transmission/service type...Of course a "clear" Analogue service is represented in the .3 range as a good start of explaination

Krapola said:
The actual delay of the signal is .3 seconds..Extra time is spend on the Coding process of actual picture which can turn into a 2-3 sec delay when utilizing Statistical Multiplixing and lower Video bit rates in conjuction with a high FEC...Time delays are different per program/Transmission/service type...Of course a "clear" Analogue service is represented in the .3 range as a good start of explaination

Thank you for clearing that up I stand corrected

Krapola said:
Are you asking "in General" how a service starts from Ground to Sat? Please be more specific....
What I'm asking specifically is the following...
Since Dishnetwork is charging $15.99 for each international channel, it is ridiculous amount of pricing, ofcourse there is a lot of demand who wants this package, but its unfair as far as i'm concerned. So which brings me to the question...Can anyone pick up the satellite signals (FTA) programming if we have the right equipment? Also is it Illegal to do that?
thanks
MM

The physical delay, which is the delay introduced from the sending station to the receiving station is fixed and cannot be changed (unless we figure out how to move particles faster than the speed of light :) ).

Geo-sync orbit is about 22,230 miles above the Earth's surface. Convert that to meters, you get 35,775,717 meters. Now you have to double it since the signal goes up and down, so we end up with 71,551,434 meters total distance traveled.

Take the speed of light, 299,792,458 m/s, divide, and you get 0.239 seconds. Krapola explained the other factors which can introduce more delays.

That delay is why satellite based Internet providers use special TCP/IP stacks to modify the way TCP/IP works.

mysoreman said:
What I'm asking specifically is the following...
Since Dishnetwork is charging $15.99 for each international channel, it is ridiculous amount of pricing, ofcourse there is a lot of demand who wants this package, but its unfair as far as i'm concerned. So which brings me to the question...Can anyone pick up the satellite signals (FTA) programming if we have the right equipment? Also is it Illegal to do that?
thanks
MM

Ha, i got to this one before Iceberg :)

Dish network signals are not FTA (free to air) because they are encrypted. It is illegal to decrypt the signal with a modified FTA receiver.

So, if you want those international channels, you gotta pony up the $$$$$$$.

HokieEngineer said:
The physical delay, which is the delay introduced from the sending station to the receiving station is fixed and cannot be changed (unless we figure out how to move particles faster than the speed of light :) ).

Geo-sync orbit is about 22,230 miles above the Earth's surface. Convert that to meters, you get 35,775,717 meters. Now you have to double it since the signal goes up and down, so we end up with 71,551,434 meters total distance traveled.

Take the speed of light, 299,792,458 m/s, divide, and you get 0.239 seconds. Krapola explained the other factors which can introduce more delays.

That delay is why satellite based Internet providers use special TCP/IP stacks to modify the way TCP/IP works.
I thought the speed of light was 186,000 miles per second....or does m/s represent meters per second...
If so, ok ....

Last edited:
Jim5506 said:
The speed of light is 186,000 miles per second or 1,000,000 meters per second.

No...186,000 Miles/Second or 299,792,458 meters /second. 300,000 kM/second is acceptable :)

BTW, when calculating the distance to the satellites from the Earth station, you have to take into account the distance to the equator and the arc of the Earth and the difference in longitude. :) The distance from the Cheyenne uplink center to the satellites is significantly more than 22,300 miles. :)

.3 seconds for the round trip of a radio signal to the satellite and back is close enough.

See ya
Tony

See ya
Tony

Bye Pass Dish Network?

HokieEngineer said:
Ha, i got to this one before Iceberg :)

Dish network signals are not FTA (free to air) because they are encrypted. It is illegal to decrypt the signal with a modified FTA receiver.

So, if you want those international channels, you gotta pony up the $$$$$$$.

As far as the international channels are concerned, Is there a way to find out HOW Dishnetwork gets these signals? Is there a way one can access the international signals bypassing the Dishnetwork? The reason I ask this question is that, back home(India) these channels are distributed via cable in different cities across the entire country. There is a middleman who grabs hold of the signals and re-distribute the signals to paid customers. If they are able to do the same why can't I do the same(possess the signals?). What equipment do you think I need to do that If I can infact DO it.
thanks
MM

mysoreman said:
As far as the international channels are concerned, Is there a way to find out HOW Dishnetwork gets these signals? Is there a way one can access the international signals bypassing the Dishnetwork? The reason I ask this question is that, back home(India) these channels are distributed via cable in different cities across the entire country. There is a middleman who grabs hold of the signals and re-distribute the signals to paid customers. If they are able to do the same why can't I do the same(possess the signals?). What equipment do you think I need to do that If I can infact DO it.
thanks
MM
Just guessing, but I'd say you'd need a Big Ugly Dish and a hacked receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)