Uplink question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TimeHorse

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
Please please please excuse me if I've misread the rules of this forum because I too believe strongly in PAYING and obtaining LEGALLY any and all transmissions received be them via Satellite or other means. It is my understanding though that 4DTV is allowed because there are units that will decode that signal legally. I'm not saying names because if I'm wrong I don't want to be accused of abetting hacking. In either case, my question is not about equipment; it's about uplinks.

Specifically, looking over AMC 11 I noticed that BBC America is uplinked with many of the other Discovery network channels in SD at 4140 V (tp 22): AMC 11 at 131.0°W - LyngSat

However, recently BBC America started broadcasting an HD feed but I've seen no report of it on AMC 11, AMC 10 or Galaxy 16 / Horizons 1, which are, AFAICT, the three satellites the Discovery Networks are using to uplink their channels. I'd expect BBC America HD actually to be on Galaxy 16 (Galaxy 13/Horizons 1 at 127.0°W - LyngSat) at 4140 H (tp 22) since that's where the most recent Discovery HD channels are uplinked, but again it's not there.

So, does anyone know where the BBC America HD uplink is or where it's scheduled to be?

Again, if asking about uplinks constitutes hacking please please please forgive me. I'm not even interested in watching this channel, I just want to confirm that an uplink does or does not exist to settle my mind as to whether to blame the Satellite companies (DirecTV / Dish) and cable companies (Comcast, Cox, Time Warner, FiOS, etc.) for not carrying it or is it Discovery's fault for not uplinking it in the first place?

Jeffrey

No thats not hacking.

As far as I know BBA America HD is on the air, but no one is carrying it yet. I do know that Dish Network has been testing it for a few weeks. As far as I know, NOBODY cable or satellite is carrying the HD channel yet.

It would not surprise me if BBC America is currently only being sent our via fiber. If this is the case it would explain why its not on C Band satellite.

Thanks for the reply!

Glad I'm not encourage naughty behavior! I can believe it may be going out on the wire as opposed to an satellite uplink and that would explain the one report I read for Comcast D.C. getting it since Bethesda MD, where Discovery Networks has its headquarters and BBC America is distributed is just across the border from D.C. I suppose Dish may have an uplink center close to D.C. but it strikes me unlikely they'd be using fiber to get it to say cable in Oklahoma or Hawaii so wouldn't they eventually need an uplink or are they planning to go Telco all the way?

Jeffrey

Actually Fiber to Oklahoma would be very likely as we have a huge fiber hub here and most of the fiber feeds come thru Oklahoma before going out to the opposite coasts.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts