UPN and WB to merge

Status
Not open for further replies.
The author could at least get right what night the show is on. I would be surprised if they cancel it. Wew eillsee soon I guess.

I am surprised that they would cancel Reba. It was not long ago when they said that it was one of their best shows and most likely to be put onto the CW network. At least there is a better chance of a few other shows that I like on the WB of surviving.

those shows that doesn't survive to go onto the CW, I wonder if MyNetwork TV, Fox or Independents will pick them up? I hate to see some good shows not go on.

The CW Picks up Three New Series

Debuting network The CW will not rely solely on programming from dissolving networks The WB and UPN to fill its 2006-07 schedule.

The CW has picked up two series for the fall and a drama for midseason. CBS Paramount/ Gramnet's comedy "The Game," which is a spinoff from the long-running UPN comedy "Girlfriends," has been given a series order and will premiere this fall, sources close to the network said. In addition, The CW has picked up the Sony drama "Runaway" written by "Sex and the City" creator Darren Star.

For midseason The CW is picking up the soapy drama "Palm Springs" from "Dawson's Creek" creator Kevin Williamson.

The CW will officially announce its 2006-07 schedule in New York on Thursday at its inaugural upfront presentation to advertisers.

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=10023

It was on our local news today that UPN15 and WB31 (Springfield MO/Branson) are now part of the merger...

As long as they don't whack DIY Ozarks... :eek:

"""with veteran "7th Heaven" expected to join the group pending the completion of new deals with the cast."""

This will make a lot of people wonder about those final episodes to goodbye unless they change it up a little and maybe make it a spinoff or 7th Heaven new beginnings or something like that.

It looks like Everwood gets the can along with Reba.

Attachments

• theCWlogo.jpg
    theCWlogo.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 102
CW Announces Schedule Dominated by Shows From WB, UPN

Network Adds One New Drama, Comedy to Fall Slate

At its inaugural upfront presentation to advertisers, The CW announced a fall 2006 schedule made up almost entirely of programming from the soon-to-be-expired broadcasters UPN and The WB.

The CW will focus on attracting younger viewers, Dawn Ostroff, The CW's president of entertainment said Thursday in New York.

The CW's strategy is to anchor each night with at least one program that is already the No. 1 or No. 2 show in its time period among men or women in the 18-to-34 age group, Ms. Ostroff said.

The CW schedule:

Monday: "7th Heaven," "Runaway"

Tuesday: "Gilmore Girls," "Veronica Mars"

Wednesday: "America's Next Top Model," "One Tree Hill"

Thursday: "Smallville," "Supernatural"

Friday: "Friday Night Smackdown!"

Saturday: no programming

Sunday: "Everybody Hates Chris," "All of Us," "Girlfriends," "The Game" "America's Next Top Model" repeats

The WB's "Gilmore Girls" and UPN's "Top Model" are staying in their current time periods. The CW is keeping intact The WB's Thursday night and UPN's Friday night lineups for its new schedule.

The biggest change is The CW's Sunday night schedule, which creates one night of African-American themed sitcoms from UPN's current Monday and Thursday lineups.

The only two new shows are the Sony family drama "Runaway" and "The Game," a spinoff of the CBS Paramount comedy "Girlfriends."

The WB's reality series "Beauty and the Geek" will air midseason as a bridge between two installments of "Top Model."

The sole midseason pickup is the Lions Gate soapy drama "Hidden Palms" (formerly known as "Palm Springs") from "Sex and the City" creator Darren Star.

The formation of The CW was announced in January by the network's two corporate parents, CBS Corp. and Warner Bros. Entertainment. The move, which surprised many creative, advertising and station executives, eliminated some competition for ad money.

News Corp. stepped into the void left by the WB-UPN consolidation by forming MyNetworkTV, which will try to lure viewers and advertisers with a slate of evening soap operas.

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=10033

Affiliation Pacts Nail Down Top 50 Markets for The CW

The CW announced 11 more affiliation deals Thursday, including four with Clear Channel Television, that raise its clearances to more than 90 percent of the TV homes in the country, including all of the top 50 TV markets.

The newly signed affiliates include WLYH-TV, the Clear Channel-operated UPN affiliate in Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York, Pa. (the 41st-largest TV market in the country); and Clear Channel-owned UPN affiliate WLMT-TV in Memphis, Tenn. (44); digital WB affiliate KMTR in Eugene, Ore. (121); and digital WB affiliate WWTI-TV in Watertown, N.Y.(178).

Also signed up were a Schurz Communications-owned combo of two low-power stations and one digital channel simulcasting and operated by NBC-affiliated KYTV-TV as one CW affiliate with the call letters KCZ in Springfield, Mo. (77); Cox-owned cable-only WB affiliate WBMN in Macon, Ga. (20); and a digital channel operated by Diversified Communications-owned CBS affiliate WABI-TV in Bangor, Maine (151).

Digital WB affiliates newly signed with The CW include Lilly Broadcasting's WSEE in Erie, Pa. (142) and WENY in Elmira (Corning), N.Y. (173); Woods Communication's KWBZ in Lubbock, Texas (146); and Smith Media's KATN-TV in Fairbanks, Ala. (203).

"It's another significant milestone to secure coverage in every top 50 market as we continue to strengthen The CW's national distribution," said John Maatta, chief operating officer of The CW. The new network, a joint venture of Warner Bros. Entertainment and CBS Corp., is expected to launch Sept. 18.

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=10031

If Reba is coming back then where does it fall into the lineup? I am pretty satisfied other than Everwood going off the air. 7th Heaven coming back and One Tree Hill staying on makes up for that. I figured at least one show that I liked would get axed.

I wish they would have dropped smackdown. It gets bumped out of it's timeslot constantly and WWE really needs to get it on cable. If it's not on saturday morning, it doesn't belong on local channels IMO...

Reba will probably be a midseason replacement. It was not announced at the upfront as the deal with FOx (who produced it) came later. Something will be canceled and they only ordered 13 episodes of Seventh Heaven as as well.

As for Smackdown it was probably the highest rated show on either network. I lost interest in the WWE a long time ago but there is clearlya market for it. I was unaware of it being knocked from its time slot. What preempts it?

They already had the countdown to goodbye for 7th Heaven. I do not think they would do that then bring it back if it was not going to stick around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)