UPS AND HOPPER

Bigdog9586

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Lansing
I have the original hopper and now have a whole house generator. Can I add a battery backup to the hopper like I have on my computer? If so what size do you all use?

I have a couple of nice audio setups, each with it's own HWS. I use a UPS/line conditioner similar to this one for each setup. Yep, pricey, but well worth it IMHO. I have a lot of equipment plugged into each one. I'm assuming you are plugging in at least the Hopper and a TV.

Since you have a generator, I suspect you will really benefit from such protection. But if you must go cheap, keep in mind anything less than $100 or so, for your application, will likely be insufficient.

This is also a good one, and I think it's at reduced price now. It won't filter as well, I think, but if you don't have an AV receiver, should work just fine.

I certainly would not go any cheaper than this one.

Other brands are fine, too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. I should have explained better. 10 seconds after power failure the generator automatically starts and beck to full power in less than a minute. What I'm trying to stop is say is that 30 seconds or so of outage which is enough to restart the hopper and then I have to wait about up to 5 minutes for all to come back. So I don't need $$$ backup just a relieable one that will keep the hopper running till generator takes over.

Do you know the wattage of everything to be plugged into the UPS? I believe the Hopper is less than 100W. Need to know, to make half decent recommendation.

But I understand you want bare bones, with little to no surge/sag protection.

Look at this one, which might suffice, but I doubt it. I've placed a couple of these with good results- for PCs.

You want to figure out the wattage of what will be plugged into it, and how long you want it to run. Let's say it's 500 watts, and you want 5 minutes run time. Check the specs of each UPS device you would consider. Make sure you buy one with BOTH at least the load wattage expected AND at least twice the run time at full load (if you spec'd it close, or half load if you doubled the expected load). Manufacturer specs tend to be, uh, "optimistic." And I really do mean these as the minimum. A few extra bucks spent up front may keep you from finding out that after a year or so, the UPS dies before the generator comes fully on line.

Just under 275 watts for both but really only more interested in keeping the hopper running which is 45 watts according to everyone on line. The TV I can just turn back on. The hopper I have to wait up to 5 minutes and it will be during the most important part of the show.

Well, this one might do for the full load until the generator kicks in. It certainly would power the Hopper alone for way more than long enough. I really hesitate to go any cheaper, because the components get cheaper. Maybe after a year or two, it won't switch fast enough, or the specs decline.

If you really want to go cheapest, try this. Certainly do not go with this. We had one, and it was unreliable with any load after a few months.

I realize I have the CyberPower in post #5 at home. I have an answering machine plugged into it. It was set up as overkill so that the machine could continue for hours in a power outage. You see, we had an outage, and my boss was trying to reach me. No cell service. And the ans machine wasn't on an UPS. And.... Well, you can guess the rest.

I have three of these, APC Back-UPS ES 350. Two for the Hoppers and TV and one for the computer. They'll work great for your needs. $40 at Amazon.

I have three of these, APC Back-UPS ES 350. Two for the Hoppers and TV and one for the computer. They'll work great for your needs. $40 at Amazon.

Cutting it thin, IMHO, but yes, it will work. I'd have a higher comfort level spending another $20. How much can you expect over the years from a $40 investment?

I've had two APC units fail in a rather short time and two Triplites (sp) fail. I was able to build one working unit from the two Triplites.

I have two Cyberpower units, both fairly small, which have been running flawlessly for quite a few years without fail. Nothing fancy about them, they just work and are smaller than the equivalent APC ones. If I needed another UPS for another location, I would go with Cyberpower again.

I tend agree with Navychop. I have been using APC for more than 20 years and they are reliable for the life of the battery. Tripplite works ok until there is a power failure. I will never use or recommend them to anyone.
i have no experience with cyberpower.

I've used both APC and CyberPower with equal success. It's nice not losing a recording during a brief power outage or brownout. I usually get my replacement units around Black Friday time when I can usually get an $80 or more unit for half price.

I have two Tripplite BC Pro 600's that have been in service since 2005. They've both worked flawlessly through numerous outages, with just occasional battery changes for maintenance.

I have my Hopper, TV and AV receiver on a UPS (APC Smart-UPS 1500) I've had to change the battery pack twice, but it works great. I always remind folks power protection is not just for blackouts. It is for unstable voltage. Brown-outs or quick black-out where they power comes back on quickly is what really fries electronics. A good UPS will protect against that. Even a good whole-home generator may put out somewhat erratic power.

I have a basic APC SmartUPS 700 running my 60" Sony LED, HWS, and Denon reciever. It uses 2 of 5 bars on the load with everything on, 3 if I have sound really loud. Very happy with this setup for intermittent small power outages.

I'd like to know my Hopper will keep recording even if the outage lasts hours. I'm moving a larger UPS to it for just this purpose.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I have an APC ES750 for just my Hopper. I've had good luck with these for small devices, like DVRs. I just want to be able to get through the short outages without a reboot. We recently replaced APC UPSs with TrippLites at work with disastrous results. The TrippLites at the same capacity just do not compare. We've lost 2 switches since the change. YMMV.

-Ted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts