UPS

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

beware

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
St. Louis
I can't seem to find my old thread with the UPS I posted about. We had too many things on tonight and the circuit turned off, turning off the tv but the dvr remained on because it was plugged into the UPS. Should I plug the tv into the UPS because I need the tv on to watch tv if electric goes out. My only concern is if the wattage or whatever is strong enough on the UPS for both the tv and UPS.

The tv is about 175 Watts. The Dvr is 50. The UPS can only do about 180. So I guess I am screwed then right? I just now realized this. I bought the UPS for the dvr and it seemed to fix the issue. Or would you just keep the dvr plugged into it with the amount of issues I have had and just not watch tv when the electric goes out? The tv is 175 Watts on average, will that fry my UPS?

Even if the UPS was sized large enough to handle the current draw from both the TV and DVR, having both would significantly reduce your run time.

Most UPS devices have outlets that are surge protected but not battery protected. Your TV should be plugged into one of those for protection but the TV won't work during a power outage. Your DVR would continue to record though as long as the battery holds.

If you really want to watch TV during a power outage, get a generator.

One other consideration... If I'm not mistaken, on SWM systems, the power injector would also need to be plugged in to a UPS in order for any devices on the system to receive signal.

Even if the UPS was sized large enough to handle the current draw from both the TV and DVR, having both would significantly reduce your run time.

Most UPS devices have outlets that are surge protected but not battery protected. Your TV should be plugged into one of those for protection but the TV won't work during a power outage. Your DVR would continue to record though as long as the battery holds.

If you really want to watch TV during a power outage, get a generator.

One other consideration... If I'm not mistaken, on SWM systems, the power injector would also need to be plugged in to a UPS in order for any devices on the system to receive signal.
That is correct, I found out the hard way

Ive got a 1500w cyberpower. About 100 minutes run time with only the 722K/EHD and TiVo on, about 20 minutes with the 64" plasma on. And yeah, you need to hook the power inserter up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.