Urgent: Installer says I MUST have 2 Dishes for HD, What Gives?

bradesp

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
Guys,

Long time (10 years) Dish customer. Finally upgrading to HD.

My installer is coming back today to install TWO dishes on my rooftop. Is my installer shooting straight? I'm in Raleigh, NC.

He says to get all 4 satellites I MUST install two dishes on my roof. One to capture three satelittes and and a seperate dish to capture a 4th satellite that offers up the additional HD content I'm after.

Is this true?

Thanks!

-brad

I'm in Greensboro NC and I just need one dish (1000.2) to get all the HD dish is offering.

Guys,

Long time (10 years) Dish customer. Finally upgrading to HD.

My installer is coming back today to install TWO dishes on my rooftop. Is my installer shooting straight? I'm in Raleigh, NC.

He says to get all 4 satellites I MUST install two dishes on my roof. One to capture three satelittes and and a seperate dish to capture a 4th satellite that offers up the additional HD content I'm after.

Is this true?

Thanks!

-brad

Are you subscribing to any international programming? If so, you may need the 4th satellite and possibly a second dish. Most regular programming is on the 110, 119 and 129 (or 61.5) satellites and should be able to be received with a single dish antenna (like the 1000.2)

No I'm not subscribing to any international programming.

What questions should I be asking the installer regarding why he's advocating 2 dishes? He explained to my wife that he needed the second dish to capture the 2nd satellite which is in a different location...

What satellites should I be aiming for?

thanks!

-bradesp

No I'm not subscribing to any international programming.

What questions should I be asking the installer regarding why he's advocating 2 dishes? He explained to my wife that he needed the second dish to capture the 2nd satellite which is in a different location...

What satellites should I be aiming for?

thanks!

-bradesp

What package are you getting? Where is your location? Do you have a lot of line of sight issues maybe?

But if he wants his locals in HD Raleigh and Charlotte are on the 118.75. Which I think the 1000.2 can get that sat.

Ok the Dish 1000+ I could not remember I knew there was one out that got the 118.7. Overall he should only need one Dish not two if I'm not mistaken.

OK, so what I'm hearing is that if I don't have a line of sight issue that in fact one single 1000+ dish can pick up 119, 110 and 129 + 118.7 for locals.

What about the comments regarding 61.5 being "better" for the strength of HD in my area (Raleigh, NC zipcode 27614).

thx!

Last edited:
61.5 is always better signal strength, no matter what area. It would be stretching it to say you have a really excellent installer that would go out of his way to install a 61.5 dish to get a better signal....if so I'd hang on to that installer!

61.5 is always better signal strength, no matter what area. It would be stretching it to say you have a really excellent installer that would go out of his way to install a 61.5 dish to get a better signal....if so I'd hang on to that installer!

So what's on 61.5? Everything, or just HD?

thx

Got to agree. 61.5 will give you the best signal. 129 is a POS and you will have rain fade. What's on 61.5? Pretty much all the HD content that 129 has. It also has International channels.

Perhaps the installer is looking at a 500+ and a 500. That combo would give you 110, 118.75 and 119 on the 500+ and 61.5 on the other 500 without the worries of 129 to bother with.

If the installer can't get line of sight for 129 which is the high def satellite which here in charlotte nc is 248 degrees but at 25 elevation then he must use a 500+ dish which ia 110 and 119 and 118.7 then shoot 61.5 southeast at 154 degrees 44 evelation. the one dish would be a 1000+ which would be 110 and 119 and 118.8 and 129.

Perhaps the installer is looking at a 500+ and a 500. That combo would give you 110, 118.75 and 119 on the 500+ and 61.5 on the other 500 without the worries of 129 to bother with.

A buddy of mine in Apex has a 1000+ and has excellent signal strength including 129. It will take a while to aim it properly, however.

My install in Morrisville was a 500+ and 500 for 61.5 because of LOS issues.

Thanks everyone. Installer was top notch. Bottom line I have LOS issues so we mounted a 2nd dish to pick up 61.5.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)