US Analog shutoff in 2009 - $40 vouchers for all!

dlsnyder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Moreno Valley, CA
I got to thinking about this in the sub-$100 ATSC tuner thread, and realized that it merits a thread of its own...

from dailytech.com

The United States Congress has approved a definite date in which TV broadcasters will have to switch from analog to digital

President Bush signed legislation earlier this week that will officially end analog broadcasting on Feb. 17, 2009, which is the date that all U.S. broadcasters must stop transmitting analog television signals. Viewers who have analog TVs will have to purchase a converter after the transition is complete. Along with the legislation, $1.5B USD in funding will be offered to provide two $40 USD vouchers for every household to be used to purchase converter boxes. The bill will free up 60 MHz of spectrum that will be given to the highest bidders of wireless-broadband and cell phone providers.

The bill passed a very close 216-214 vote by the House of Representatives before the bill reached and was signed by the President.

So what I'm wondering is if I can use my vouchers toward leasing or buying a DBS-based DVR like the Dish ViP622 (or its replacement)?

Welfare for TV addicts! :D :hungry:

That is a very good question. One could also ask if the voucher could be used towards a new television that has the digital tuner in it. It might be time to buy some stock in the manufacturers of digital tuners.

or maybe even for an ATSC tuner card for an HTPC!

I'm sure the details will come out as the time approaches. I'll bet they really don't spread the word on this much so there isn't a run on those vouchers. You may even have to prove economic hardship to get them. I already have two ATSC tuners in my home (an 811 and a built-in on an LCD HDTV I just bought), but a free one for the PC would be sweet!

Great. So I'll be eligible for $80 in credits for overpriced equipment which will probably be priced at about $40 over market value. I'm sure the IRS will more than make up for that in my tax payments.

From what I've heard, a given market is supposed to switch over before that if 85% of a given DMA is capable of receiving digital broadcasts. Here in Hartford/New Haven (CT), Hartford's PBS station (WEDH-TV channel 24) doesn't have their digital on over-the-air yet (available on Comcast in New Britain and Hartford).

I recall reading where the FCC solicited input from various set-top-box makers looking to make a low cost (sub $100) ATSC tuner. I can't find it...perhaps someone can post a link.

On a side topic: does anyone have a list of devices with the LG 5th generation ATSC chip?

riffjim4069 said:
I recall reading where the FCC solicited input from various set-top-box makers looking to make a low cost (sub $100) ATSC tuner. I can't find it...perhaps someone can post a link.

You know, it seems to me that if the government is going to subsidize digital tuners for analog tvs they should be lowball tuners. Composite (maybe also S-Video) and coax output is all that's required. Aspect ratio button and nothing else. HD outputs not required.

$30 should cover this manufactured in quantity of millions. You can buy cheap DVD players for $30 or less. A digital tuner shouldn't be any more. Of course if the gov is
going to pay $40 they will cost $40 :mad: A full fledged standalone digital tuner for HDTV's will certainly cost more.

I was in Walmart yesterday, they have 27" SD TV's with digital tuners for $200. That tells you how much the digital tuner for an SD tv costs........

Good point! The Soviet government sent out vouchers to all of its citizens when it sold its oil to private parties. The vouchers there ended up being toilet paper. The lesson seems appropriate. The vouchers will make the tuner cost $40 more!:devil:

The Wal-Mart I work at has a 27" Sanyo TV with the dual tuner for $268. It looks to have a single 75 ohm coaxial antenna/cable input and the typical A/V and S-Video input.

BTW, I know what NTSC is. What does "ATSC" officially stand for?

Some of those WalMart sets will also tune in QAM signals from your cable company, allowing you to see digital cable channels that are in the clear. A few include CableCARD support, allowing you to rent a special card from the cable company to decode subscription programming without a box.

So far I haven't seen any rules on what products will be eligible under the voucher program. It may be just for stand-alone over-the-air ATSC tuners, but who knows?

I'm buying a voom hd box for OTA...paid about $85....this would be funny though if the vouchers were being used to pay for some on ebay

Here is a quote from an article posted at http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051223/APC0101/512230599/1004

Before the switch to digital TV is made, prepare for a big public relations push.

"There is going to be an active campaign and advertisements alerting people," said Terry Lane, a spokesman for the House Energy and Commerce Committee. "We are planning for there to be a Web site, a toll-free phone number and probably a mailing address. We're going to get the word out."

OK, we're all waiting! :D

The vouchers are for ATSC- over the air digital, not cable. ATSC does not apply to cable.

The LG 5th generation tuners have improved multi-path rejection. IIRC, others have posted that it is no more sensitive, and possibly a little less sensitive, than the 4th gen. This will no doubt also depend upon the rest of the circuitry in the box.

issasteve said:
Good point! The Soviet government sent out vouchers to all of its citizens when it sold its oil to private parties. The vouchers there ended up being toilet paper. The lesson seems appropriate. The vouchers will make the tuner cost $40 more!:devil:

that could be. But if that is the case I really want to use my voucher. In any event the original question isa n excellent one.

Our tax dollars at work so that someone won't miss who's voted off the island. GREAT.

And before anyone starts on about the EBS/EAS...terrestrial radio is also an outlet.

Last edited:
That suggests an interesting question. In the event of a major weather-related emergency, which transmission medium is most likely to fail? OTA broadcast TV, satellite TV, cable TV, satellite radio, or terrestrial radio? In that same emergency situation, where would YOU be most likely to get your information?

My guess is that cable TV would be most likely to fail, followed possibly by OTA broadcast TV. Most likely source of news and information in that situation, undoubtedly terrestrial radio.

Adding that $40 converter box to the TV just adds another level of complexity to the process. I wonder how many people are even going to bother buying an ATSC receiver to connect to their garage or kitchen TVs when many are used with "rabbit ears" anyway. You can get by watching a fuzzy picture with analog, but with digital the picture is either there or not there. Not the best situation for a TV that is connected to a small set-mounted indoor antenna. We may see a large number of old TVs just going to the landfill in 2009. I know I will probably get rid of a couple of small portable B/W sets rather than get a digital tuner for them. At least California started planning ahead for this by instituting the recycling fee in 2004.

Last edited:
Telephones seem to go out first, so that knocks out DSL. Cable doesn't last much longer. With widespread power outages, OTA TV & radio will fail. Their gens can't last forever.

Satellite source will be best, they aren't affected by local conditions- except at the uplink facility. As long as you have batteries, or a working vehicle with XM/Sirius, or a generator going, you'll have comms. But how much time can they put into one local area's problems?

I agree- lots of TVs will head for the heap in 2009. I've already started thinning my herd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)